Build costs

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I would say it depends on the trucks dutys... if you plan on sled pulling, and being competitive at a national level, the cam most certainly has a lot to do with where your going to end up. When you have inducer limits and cant just shove as much air as possible into the motor, you have to rely on head porting and cam profiles. A stock cam/head truck isnt going to cut it imo. You might not not be able to gain 100hp from the cam, but if you can move the 100 hp where you need it, its defenatly the difference between competing and getting beat.

Exactly!!:truestory:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
For the peak power @ 38-4200 the stock cam is fine, but when you want peak power @ 5200+ then you need to dig deeper than a stock cam

Peak power RPM is controlled by the turbo.

Pretty sure I ran one setup with the stock cam that was 4800 rpm, which is higher than any of my big cam engines. The cam is not used to control the powerband. There may be HP gains from switching cams, but if you want to move the powerband with a cam like you do with a NA gas engine, let us know how that works out for you.

If you don't believe it, just start switching chargers.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
This build thread when south in a hurry. But a good pissing match took its place. Still alot of good info. from some good mechanics.

Funny thing is when you look back at the treads where fighting was involved / pissing contests , there is more tech is in those threads than any others bvecause it gets people riled up , makes them share , gets them posting things they would normally just keep to themselves , it sucks to have the drama I agree but that's how the web has always been , there will always be 2 opinions and always be arguments about who is right and wrong .

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Funny thing is when you look back at the treads where fighting was involved / pissing contests , there is more tech is in those threads than any others bvecause it gets people riled up , makes them share , gets them posting things they would normally just keep to themselves , it sucks to have the drama I agree but that's how the web has always been , there will always be 2 opinions and always be arguments about who is right and wrong .

I got into the thread because there was fighting in it, so ...

instead of breaking it up, I joined in! :lildevil:

Sidebar:

I'll admit I get a kick out of those who post "tech" based not on their testing, but based on what they can sell to people. There is nothing wrong with selling parts, as long as you don't let salesmanship overcome common sense.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Peak power RPM is controlled by the turbo.

Pretty sure I ran one setup with the stock cam that was 4800 rpm, which is higher than any of my big cam engines. The cam is not used to control the powerband. There may be HP gains from switching cams, but if you want to move the powerband with a cam like you do with a NA gas engine, let us know how that works out for you.

If you don't believe it, just start switching chargers.

Pat i agree, to some extent....

Airflow is the key here. in your case your getting more airflow with better/bigger turbo's.

I do it with a camshaft and head combo.

Both will get the job done, but only one will do it while making more HP.... the later is the better power producer for me.

duranut03

Dec 20, 2010
North Carolina
Yeah I agree with you on the tech and quite frankly a little back and forth like you said brings out things people wouldn't share otherwise. I sure didn't know the cams didnt make such a huge difference in a turbo charge motor until I read it here. But it really makes sense once you start thinking about it. I just wish I knew enough to get in the fight.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Pat i agree, to some extent....

Airflow is the key here. in your case your getting more airflow with better/bigger turbo's.

I do it with a camshaft and head combo.

Both will get the job done, but only one will do it while making more HP.... the later is the better power producer for me.

Heads and cam are what you do AFTER you've put the meanest charger in your arsenal to it's limits. They aren't a replacement for more charger, they are a supplement.

The first 800rwhp on fuel is pretty cheap. Dual Fuelers, big single, rods.

After that, each HP gets progressively more expensive. Heads and Cam are pretty far up the food chain.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Ahhhh !!!!! And the God has arrose lmao. Post "YOUR" times there Richard and not anybody else's. Maybe you should stfu and go take a geratol. Don't you have anything better to do that make unnecessary comments to try and make yourself look good. Go do what you do best and build a tranny or two with all due respect. It was uncalled for, but if that makes you feel better have at it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Actually Mike's been hotrodding since long before you were even conceived. And he's had more fast cars than you've had years on this planet. You and IOWA should lose the attitude.

Last edited:

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
Actually Mike's been hotrodding since long before you were even conceived. And he's had more fast cars than you've had years on this planet. You and IOWA should lose the attitude.

Do you know me ? I don't know you but I can tell you i am no spring chicken there bud. Furthermore, I have no attitude, just was stating the obvious. Maybe you should get your facts straight there my friend

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
The only thing that bothers me about what Mike said is that he lets his arrogance get in the way of his knowledge. He is after all a very smart man. A very smart man who is humble, will get more respect than the same man that acts as if he is better than someone else. I have never claimed to be the fastest racer.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I got into the thread because there was fighting in it, so ...

instead of breaking it up, I joined in! :lildevil:

Sidebar:

I'll admit I get a kick out of those who post "tech" based not on their testing, but based on what they can sell to people. There is nothing wrong with selling parts, as long as you don't let salesmanship overcome common sense.

I was going to post that this one was even good enough to bring Pat out of retirement :D

Heads and cam are what you do AFTER you've put the meanest charger in your arsenal to it's limits. They aren't a replacement for more charger, they are a supplement.

The first 800rwhp on fuel is pretty cheap. Dual Fuelers, big single, rods.

After that, each HP gets progressively more expensive. Heads and Cam are pretty far up the food chain.

Its funny Pat your posting verify's the fact that you have learned this stuff from actually running a duramax at the drag strip, starting relatively stock and working your way up to full built fixing and addressing things you saw along the way that needed to be addressed , you seem to have all the same conclusions i have verified through my own experience, and the same I was told by those who helped me along the way too that learned in the same fashion ;)

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
So far this thread has pretty much confirmed that drag racing is easier than sled pulling.:D :hug: to all the drag racers!

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
So far this thread has pretty much confirmed that drag racing is easier than sled pulling.:D :hug: to all the drag racers!

Its because we are not limited by turbo choice/ inducer size ;) , if this thread was about building a competitive 2.6 or 3.0 truck there would be a complete different set of recommendations being given IMOP, hell even if it was about a full blown pro street motor being built were every inch counts, but this thread as mostly been based around " average builds / street trucks .................... I think :rofl:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Its because we are not limited by turbo choice/ inducer size ;) , if this thread was about building a competitive 2.6 or 3.0 truck there would be a complete different set of recommendations being given IMOP, hell even if it was about a full blown pro street motor being built were every inch counts, but this thread as mostly been based around " average builds / street trucks .................... I think :rofl:

Crap, i was just talking about being competitve in the workstock class :roflmao: I dont think we want to get the the 2.6/3.0 :rofl: