Build costs

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
For the love of racing! That's beautiful! Don't get all fast and furious on me like that Wade cat now Dmitri.lol I run my mouth for the most part anymore. I've got an o piece of shit that didn't get down the track a whole lot slower than your 1700 horse ride 5 years ago!lol

Wow 5 years huh, well come out and play this year buddy, let's see how fast you are.... 1700 horse was never put to the track just the dyno, I never ran more than 1250 on the track due to a lot of traction issues I'm quite frankly sick of explaining that so ill just call you out :) bring your mouth to the track and run me this season, and hope you don't see 1700 to the wheels on the track against you:)

Slick

Jan 9, 2007
I'm sorry Dmitri, but I just don't live my life a quarter mile at a time like you... I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
The more miles on the motor the more parts and machine work will be needed. I know Guy says around 50k you should really look at going .020 over since the bore might not seal the best so that throws out reusing your old pistons.

All the gaskets to do a build new oil cooler and bolts and ARP studs do add up fast. I wish I could get some of those machine shop rates out on this side of the country.

I agree, its expensive either way you cut it. The machine shop rates are going up everyday, we might just catch you guys back east on pricing, and I'm affraid the higher the cost the more pissing matches to come.

MD-Dmax

Jan 6, 2010
The more miles on the motor the more parts and machine work will be needed. I know Guy says around 50k you should really look at going .020 over since the bore might not seal the best so that throws out reusing your old pistons.

All the gaskets to do a build new oil cooler and bolts and ARP studs do add up fast. I wish I could get some of those machine shop rates out on this side of the country.

your... our however you want to say it with out a pissing match happening is a great guy expensive but great and i appreciate you for leading me to him i wish the cost would come down but he knows what he is doing so i feel safe using him. x2 on the .020 over bore after 50 k miles

camomax

pushing the limits
Nov 5, 2008
Florida
OK here it goes....this is simply my opinion based on my experiences, and only to give Beech some more info. I've raced a bone stock motor(bolt ons and nitrous) two full seasons, with 105 passes. Half of those passes were 11.0?. Finally cracked a piston. Next was a full built motor(rods, forged pistons, stage 1 heads, balanced, etc, etc, with s475, 60 overs, and nitrous) approx $10,000 involved. This motor made four passes on spray, and four passes on motor(half of these were 1/8 mi). Best pass of 10.71 1/4 mi, and 6.59 1/8 mi. It melted a hole through one piston and the other seven were heavily deteriorated. Next motor was "play time". 85,000 mi, bone stock junker........with the s475 and nitrous.:D Four, low 11, 1/4 mi, motor only passes. Three, 6.60, 1/8 mi, with spray(Schied event) Last pass bent every rod in her, and grenaded the track.:eek: Current motor, like Trent said, is a stock motor with a rod swap. I pulled the stockers, put in my rods, my stage one heads(fresh off the blown up built motor), studs, my s475, and the spray.(no machine work, no keys, no torque plate, no hone) 10 passes so far, all on nitrous. Half are 1/4 mi, with a 10.24 best so far. Half are 1/8 mi, with a 6.62 best. Still running strong. Just waiting for better weather, or the Bradenton race, whichever comes first:thumb: Beech, take this for what its worth. I hope it helps.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
How impressive is a budget build if it can't make it through 1 whole race season?

One answer would be, more impressive then someone who spent a ton of money to buy every last part for his build and it still blew up halfway through the season.

Parts play a big part in how things hold up. But so does the builder, the machine shop, the tuner, heck even the user needs to know and respect what it takes to keep a high HP motor together for a good amount of time.

The builders out there saying you can get by without all these (fill in the blank) parts are just as ignorant as the ones insisting that you buy everything available for a dmax.

Over time the good builders will be sorted out from the bad ones. In the mean time the guy's having the cheapest person build there motor just may regret there decision down the road.......;)

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
your... our however you want to say it with out a pissing match happening is a great guy expensive but great and i appreciate you for leading me to him i wish the cost would come down but he knows what he is doing so i feel safe using him. x2 on the .020 over bore after 50 k miles

I look for some of the pricing to come down since it's going to be more in house now. I wish I got to stop by Donnys when I was home but ran short on time. He's been around race motors for along time and all other types big and small and he is very good and clean and sometimes looks over stuff to many time lol jk. He has done all the machine work on my gassers so I broke him in on the first few dmaxs. Had him talk with Guy while doing the work to stay on the same page so atleast we have a shop in area that can do it right and 1 in town that can screw up a 10k build fast.

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
You guys better watch it or the great randy hack will be over here to close this down! :roflmao:...but seriously it sounds like there's some good points in here...best of luck Beech!

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
How impressive is a budget build if it can't make it through 1 whole race season?

One answer would be, more impressive then someone who spent a ton of money to buy every last part for his build and it still blew up halfway through the season.

Parts play a big part in how things hold up. But so does the builder, the machine shop, the tuner, heck even the user needs to know and respect what it takes to keep a high HP motor together for a good amount of time.

The builders out there saying you can get by without all these (fill in the blank) parts are just as ignorant as the ones insisting that you buy everything available for a dmax.

Over time the good builders will be sorted out from the bad ones. In the mean time the guy's having the cheapest person build there motor just may regret there decision down the road.......;)

X2 very well said