Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
:happy:

Pretty much, it will cost twice as much as you planned for... :lildevil:

Too true! LOL

IMO, give the engine's bottom end your attention. Bearings, rings, and rods new. Balance is optional, but I recommend it especially if you go with aftermarket rods and/or play with the piston bowls.

Key the crank and cam.

Inspect your bores. True and unscathed? (and in spec?) Have the machine shop just break the glaze on the walls.

Check the decks on the block. Straight and no nicks? Just clean it and go. You're gonna need new head bolts anyway, upgrade to studs here.

Heads? Straight? Valves OK? Clean and go.

Replace every seal on the engine. Except maybe the manifold and valve cover seals. These seem to stay good.

The key here is during the build to check all of you tolerances and be willing to fix anything that is out of spec. That means you might have to go back to the machine shop.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
depending on miles on my builds, around 50,000 miles is where i set my bar, anything over that, i dont take any chances, just cause they check fine does not mean that wear and tear has not taken affect correct?? Plus we have a better hardend seat out now, then what the duramax heads came with factory, here is another thing, lets take a set of low miles heads that you sprayed nitrous on and have some float, and your on factory springs, the valve guides take a beating, hell they take a beating at 600 horse if the heads are not set up right, i have had sooooooooo many heads where there's valve guide play, even if its just sooo tiny, it does not matter, get new in those suckers, guides and seats are worth every penny, your heads make your motor, and get you down the stretch, where as if you didnt just spend the 600 or so to have them rebuilt, a seat or guide could come back around and bite you!!!

Hey, i agree if it dont check out right. I also agree on the nitros but thats another variable you added in. I dont like the stuff. Im puttin my own foot in my mouth for the question, came off cocky and dont want that but not everyone needs to have the heads redone, thats all im gettin out. If mine dont check out then its an added cost but ill do all i can myself before takin the heads in to have the seats done.

prolly cause if your gonna bake the cake, why would you leave the icing off, unless you just like pound cake? :roflmao:

i like pound cake :D

If you have high mileage on your motor and you have been running higher cylinder pressures, odds are your heads will not be flat. These are aluminum heads and should be checked for flatness every time they are removed. I will also bet money that you will need a valve job and at minimum your exhaust valve guides will need replacing. High EGT's and the daily temperature cycles of the motor will take a toll on the heads over time.

i complete agree on the heads. Id have them checked as soon as i took them off. same deal as if you blew a headgasket. i didnt say my heads will be in great shape when i take them off. i may have imposed that idea and i appolgize if i did. Ill do all the work i can myself. Are our valve guides machined into the head or are they pressed in/ screwed in?

Slick

Jan 9, 2007
What I take from this thread is that Dmitri doesn't want Trent quoting these prices in the open forum because he is more expensive. I would imagine it would be bad for business if potential customers start saying "but Trent Nell can do it for this..."

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
didn't Johnboy say the valve guides are the devil on performance builds?? Didn't the tolerances get too tight once hot and fubar his stuff (think the same thing happened to maxed out as well maybe???) or was that something else??? :confused:

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
Its not me I'm conserned about, I'm actually really good on pricing as mentioned through this thread, its all the people that use the same machine shop that people from all around the u.s get prices from other shops that use him!!!!

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
What I take from this thread is that Dmitri doesn't want Trent quoting these prices in the open forum because he is more expensive. I would imagine it would be bad for business if potential customers start saying "but Trent Nell can do it for this..."

Oh yeah and slick, people from all over the u.s already say..... but trent is this much cheaper, its just one more thing, I don't take time to worry about it or read into it, its a big world and everyone needs to be taken care of and treated fair, some people might say I'm too cheap too, its how it goes

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
I'm sorry, but I can't make heads or tails from the above post.:confused:

Sorry short version, a lot of people get quotes from other shops that use him, a lot on this site, so let's say joe blow has a motor done by the local dairy queen for 10 grand and trent quotes the job for 5, the guy that paid 10 goes back to dairy queen and throws his shake in the owners face and says thanks for rippin me off.... it just avoids peoples feelings from getting hurt, if there were not so many people that use the same shop it would not be a big deal

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
didn't Johnboy say the valve guides are the devil on performance builds?? Didn't the tolerances get too tight once hot and fubar his stuff (think the same thing happened to maxed out as well maybe???) or was that something else??? :confused:

Johns issues were stemmed from the low compression and alot of fuel. Basically, if you run low compression and like big RPM then open up the exhaust valve guide tolerances and remove the valve seals.

Slick

Jan 9, 2007
I don't have to know you to know that you are in this for the money just like every other vendor. Give me a break.

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
I don't have to know you to know that you are in this for the money just like every other vendor. Give me a break.

No breakes, and yes you do have to know me, and I'm not a vendor, I don't advertise, I don't market, I do what I do for the love of racing, and trying to keep my truck out on the track pushing the limits every year, what do you do besides run your mouth, and think you know people I would love to hear this one

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Sorry short version, a lot of people get quotes from other shops that use him, a lot on this site, so let's say joe blow has a motor done by the local dairy queen for 10 grand and trent quotes the job for 5, the guy that paid 10 goes back to dairy queen and throws his shake in the owners face and says thanks for rippin me off.... it just avoids peoples feelings from getting hurt, if there were not so many people that use the same shop it would not be a big deal

Sorry in advance for the OT, But......... How much did you have invested in your truck/motor ($$) at the end of this last season's racing? Is that a 9sec or 10sec tag next to your name? (Looked to be a 10).. I have congradulated and also stuck up for you on multiple forums in the past, but yet never met you in person. To get to the Point, you have a impressive truck that makes huge Dyno #'s, but criticizing others that have achieved more for less is pretty shallow IMO. Trent is constantly on here sharing knowledge gained through trial and error, successes and failures. These pissing matches only make more people not want to talk about there builds and pricing on a open forum IMO..

Slick

Jan 9, 2007
For the love of racing! That's beautiful! Don't get all fast and furious on me like that Wade cat now Dmitri.lol I run my mouth for the most part anymore. I've got an o piece of shit that didn't get down the track a whole lot slower than your 1700 horse ride 5 years ago!lol

The Funk

May 3, 2009
southern indiana
Sorry in advance for the OT, But......... How much did you have invested in your truck/motor ($$) at the end of this last season's racing? Is that a 9sec or 10sec tag next to your name? (Looked to be a 10).. I have congradulated and also stuck up for you on multiple forums in the past, but yet never met you in person. To get to the Point, you have a impressive truck that makes huge Dyno #'s, but criticizing others that have achieved more for less is pretty shallow IMO. Trent is constantly on here sharing knowledge gained through trial and error, successes and failures. These pissing matches only make more people not want to talk about there builds and pricing on a open forum IMO..

Its all in how you know how to play your cards

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut

First of all thank you I apperciate the support and sticking up for me. I did not criticize trent, this whole thread turned way south and into about pricing instead of the topic at hand and ill take some of the blame for that, I'm sorry to all, I'm not criticizing, I was just trying to make a point, talking about builds on the forum helps us all, pricing in my opinion when big shops are involved could be a little more quiet

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
The more miles on the motor the more parts and machine work will be needed. I know Guy says around 50k you should really look at going .020 over since the bore might not seal the best so that throws out reusing your old pistons.

All the gaskets to do a build new oil cooler and bolts and ARP studs do add up fast. I wish I could get some of those machine shop rates out on this side of the country.