Build costs

emiller3

He's Back
Feb 21, 2009
lake charles,LA.
Im glad there are people like Trent out there to drive the price of a build down for the average person trying to make power and have fun with a dmax we need more to step up and maybe more people would be able to in joy this sport. :thumb:

X2 I know it is very expensive to build a d-max, but it would be great if more people would get involved to bring the prices down a little.Sorry for getting off topic.Just agree with above post.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not saying you have to but alot of stuff for a DD driver is required give it your already have twins and trans I am guessing which cost you how much? If your going from stock its a hefty price.

Point was there is more then just the shortblock in cost. Trent said your guys build was $6500 does that include oil, oil filter, antifreeze, gasket kit? All that is atleast another $500. To each is his own I wouldn't build a built motor to get only 600hp but thats just me matter what your truck is a good looking truck:thumb:

it includes gaskets, what exact gaskets, trent would have to answer. Oil and filter, 30 bucks for me, coolant- another 20 bucks. i know you wouldnt build it for that but id only build it for towing reasons and the occasional fun days. diesel is not my way of life granted its a good part, desert racing is my passion and what i love to do. And thank you for the compliment

James the math just don't add up ? How much is a set of rods, how much is a decent balancer, how much are studs(head and or mains), bearings , gaskets, machining, add them yourself and then compare numbers. where would the labor cost come in at?? Certainly not gonna be free

I agree it cant be free but why would trent come on to a forum he supports and preech about a price he cant match? I added dimitris list up without head stuff and im still at 6500-6600 :confused:

Im not against what he does, i was talking about rebuilding the heads as well in the prices i was refering too, and not, one person ever said a word about his turbo kits:confused::confused: no one has to go to anyone for that matter right?? were not talking about who goes to who, were talking about pricing, and with trent using the same machine shop as a few of us have for the last 4 years and its his first time, he should be a little more quiet about pricing online!!!!

with a full head job, i can see your price but what condones that everyones head needs a rebuild? if im not buring oil through the valves, have a tight seal with my valves still ( ie, no burnt valves or see where the seal os wearin in too much) and my heads still check out to be flat, is it that bad to put them back on? Id definitly have a pro check with me on teh heads jsu tto make sure all seems well. his pricing isnt that far off if you take the head stuff out of your list no?

Last edited:

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
I don't talk about your builds or pricing , please don't about mine , you have no clue what I specd , what power level I quoted for, what parts are used and what I paid for them , Randy is machining ans assembling but who says I am buying the parts used from him ?

You have no clue what went into the motor I just picked up , what it cost or what I charged the customer ? Nor do you know what other motors I have done, nor what they cost.

i dont talk about your builds trent, nor do i care, if you think i dont know what you paid or did, might wanna guess again!!! you think you can back yard build a motor, and all off a sudden have all these great specs trent wowwwww i wish i had all your specs from one motor!!!! I also dont care who your parts come from. all i said was keep it down on line, your not the only one that uses randy remember that!!! im not talking just for me, im talking for several people!!

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i dont talk about your builds trent, nor do i care, if you think i dont know what you paid or did, might wanna guess again!!! you think you can back yard build a motor, and all off a sudden have all these great specs trent wowwwww i wish i had all your specs from one motor!!!! I also dont care who your parts come from. all i said was keep it down on line, cause your not looking at the picture of who you could be effecting nor does it seem like you care!!!

Grow up , and move on ASSUME all you want , I dont work for free I am now running a full time shop , have put 20k cash into it this year in upgrades , 2 lathes , construction , all new electrical , welders . plasma's , press braks , shears , benders , what havew you put into your shop that you need all this over head for ? I must not be working for free :confused:

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
lets break this down a little better trent since its your first time using a machine shop shall we:D:thumb:
crower rods 2600 dollars
cut and coated pistons 600
mill deck, if needed 150
hone block 125
cut 3 keys, 2 crank, 1 cam, 85 a piece
clean block 70
assemble short block, and sim test 600
ballance rotating assamble 350
clean heads 70
pressure test heads 80
head work if needed, valve grind 325
mill heads 100

install main studs and line hone 175
install new guides and labor 300
valve seals 58

clean and polish crank 50
mag crank 40
main studs 270
head gaskets 180
h series mains and rod bearings 350
piston rings 400
motor gasket kit around 400
head studs 600
ect..... thats a bare bone build!!!

So far thats 7748, not depending on how your stock parts look, so lets get a little closer to what this game actually costs!!!:thumb: Thats not even everything, we could push this right down to oils and filters, labor on top of this depending on who does your build, tunning for the new motor

so can anyone tell me where trents pricing is way out of line if you take out the bold and only coat your stock pistons for a short block?

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
so can anyone tell me where trents pricing is way out of line if you take out the bold and only coat your stock pistons for a short block?

the original talk was a full motor build for 6500, i put together a 7760 dollar price to get alittle more on track with what it actually cost, then it turned into a short block build, i was trying to prove a point that it could not be done for 6500 with no corners cut!! long block!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the original talk was a full motor build for 6500, i put together a 7760 dollar price to get alittle more on track with what it actually cost, then it turned into a short block build, i was trying to prove a point that it could not be done for 6500 with no corners cut!! long block!

what if my heads check out perfectly fine? never got an answer as to why i would have to do my heads if everything looks to be in good condition and where did we say long block build, you threw that in there. I posted about a short block, though it was not specifically stated.

Last edited:

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
what if my heads check out perfectly fine? never got an answer as to why i would have to do my heads if everything looks to be in good condition and where did we say long block build?[/QUOTE

depending on miles on my builds, around 50,000 miles is where i set my bar, anything over that, i dont take any chances, just cause they check fine does not mean that wear and tear has not taken affect correct?? Plus we have a better hardend seat out now, then what the duramax heads came with factory, here is another thing, lets take a set of low miles heads that you sprayed nitrous on and have some float, and your on factory springs, the valve guides take a beating, hell they take a beating at 600 horse if the heads are not set up right, i have had sooooooooo many heads where there's valve guide play, even if its just sooo tiny, it does not matter, get new in those suckers, guides and seats are worth every penny, your heads make your motor, and get you down the stretch, where as if you didnt just spend the 600 or so to have them rebuilt, a seat or guide could come back around and bite you!!!

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
what if my heads check out perfectly fine? never got an answer as to why i would have to do my heads if everything looks to be in good condition and where did we say long block build, you threw that in there. I posted about a short block, though it was not specifically stated.

prolly cause if your gonna bake the cake, why would you leave the icing off, unless you just like pound cake? :roflmao:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC

If you have high mileage on your motor and you have been running higher cylinder pressures, odds are your heads will not be flat. These are aluminum heads and should be checked for flatness every time they are removed. I will also bet money that you will need a valve job and at minimum your exhaust valve guides will need replacing. High EGT's and the daily temperature cycles of the motor will take a toll on the heads over time.

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut

that was my bad, i assumed it was a long block, my mistake:(

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
If you have high mileage on your motor and you have been running higher cylinder pressures, odds are your heads will not be flat. These are aluminum heads and should be checked for flatness every time they are removed. I will also bet money that you will need a valve job and at minimum your exhaust valve guides will need replacing. High EGT's and the daily temperature cycles of the motor will take a toll on the heads over time.

X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
yea but i dont plan on pushing it quite as hard as you there buddy :D

but it is my daily driver.... so i do want it to be somewhat reliable.. im def gonna have it balanced. i had how uneven it is even bone stock

Im reminded of the saying, "The best laid plans of mice and men...." :rofl: Build for more than you currently plan.

Here is my question ? what do people consider " half assed" "incorrect" , ect ? I keep hearing comments on the subject and several are from people with ZERO miles, ZERO passe's , and NO HP #'s to associate to there "bullet proof" motors , throwing parts at a motor asnd calling it "the right way" as Insurance I have a problem with there are several things in this thread it doesn't apply to as there has been some b=very good info and advice shared , but a competent mechanic / machinist has the ability to tear a engine down completely , inspect every item and decide from there what a motor does and does not need based off of the target HP goal , wear of the internal items , ect .

Just something to think about , I "half assed a motor last year in a lot of peoples minds , the forget that I have built several engines prior , am a ASE certified "Master tech " one of those in "engine repair and diagnostics" , just because I didnt throw 10k at it doesnt mean it was "shotty" ;)

Yeah, you sure half-assed that build, Trent. :rolleyes: Damn cheapest 9 sec engine Ive ever heard of.

Beech, Im no pro mechanic but I built my motor for about $5k in my garage. 6000 miles and 10 passes later and it runs perfectly fine. Probably should have used the $2500 I spent on injectors and manifolds to buy rods, but it is what it is.

Get a good torque wrench, subscribe to AlldataDIY, and get a reputable machine shop to balance the crank and do the rest of the machine work. Get lots of Ziploc bags and label everything as you take the motor apart. Take your time and double check all your steps as you assemble. Dont let any buddies distract you while you're wrenching. Building a Dmax isnt all that tough to do if youve ever built an engine before (theres just an awful lot of stuff bolted to it), but it sure can be easy to screw something up if you arent paying attention.
Good luck. You'll learn an incredible amount about these motors and have fun doing it if you build it yourself.

Last edited: