Build costs

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
Everyone know what we built and how much we spent, with that said here is my thought for any build, gas or diesel.
When using used parts they should at least be your own used parts. You have no idea how anything you didn't own was treated.Tear down your existing motor, find out what needs to be addressed, and what needs to be upgraded. As far as hp wants, everyone knows the stock rods need to go for anything sustained above 700hp. The rest is mearly choice and $$$. The only thing I tell my customers and friends is try to picture the final project with all you want it to do and then backstep to veiw what you really need to do. There is no proof that high dollar builds outlast cheap ones. But, don't short yourself on common sense things either. I would never reuse rings, bearings and gaskets unless trackside and need it now type of thing. Pistons are iffy because as I said before, how were they treated? There are plenty of people who use used pistons all day long and never have trouble so do what you can afford. As far as "shopping" around there is nothing wrong with that. But the final quality is what you need to achieve. The machine shop needs to be expirenced in dmaxs, they are a whole different breed. Keying the cam and crank is a must, new bearings and rings a must if you ask me, good used pistons checked and oked by a qualified person ok. Do your research, find out whats right for your budget and tear it up! Asking us our opinion only starts us "having fun" with each other. The engine I did was very expensive, so far it has about 35,000 miles on it. had some trouble with an oil cooler and blew hd gaskets with studs. Now it has twins, runs like an sob and blows coolant out the tail pipe once in a while:confused: so even with the best money can buy you still can have trouble.

Very well said. I agree that just because I spent 10 grand on my motor doesn't mean its gonna last, at this kinda of level we are making these motors do something they were never intended to do so there are no guarantees. Imho

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Oct 21, 2009
What about the added cost of:

Oil
Oil filter
Anti freeze
Gasket kit

Then labor is huge unless your doing it yourself:thumb:

Also what about a girdle non one runs one:confused:

Then once you have that motor whats the point unless you have the goods to go on it:thumb:

Injectors
Dual CP3 kit
Extra CP3
New manfilds up/down pipes
Turbo/turbos
Trans thats built
Tuned
Intercooler

Not everything I listed but when you had it up you have a shit load of money, unless your full sponsored these parts are not cheap even at cost they are expensive.

O then your going to want some new gauges if your running big boost, one if you have a boost gauge now it will be maxed out if your running big boost, second if your runnings 2 turbos= 2 boost gauges.

Then if your putting that power to the ground you want some tractions bars, going faster then 11.49 might wanna cage it, might want some good sticky tires, etc. Guess if you want you can have a 8k motor with a stock turbo, and stock fueling:thumb: Then you have tie rod sleeves maybe a center link to:) maybe a t case brace. Is it worth it to spend a crap load more on all this then to just put a few mods on a duramax and run 12's?

Comes down to this if your not in the tens is it worth spending a ton more to get 11's from 12s?

Just something to think about:thumb:

The Funk

May 3, 2009
southern indiana
Im glad there are people like Trent out there to drive the price of a build down for the average person trying to make power and have fun with a dmax we need more to step up and maybe more people would be able to in joy this sport. :thumb:

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
Im glad there are people like Trent out there to drive the price of a build down for the average person trying to make power and have fun with a dmax we need more to step up and maybe more people would be able to in joy this sport. :thumb:

you get what you pay for is all i know:thumb:

Last edited:

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut

what we need is to be fair, funk!! we dont need the market cut to free and we dont need it jacked way up either, im a more than fair person in this game, i have built over 25 builds and know exactly where the pricing needs to be. Do you know where it needs to be funk?? have you built one of these?? do you have a clue what to takes?? as i have stated time and time again there are so many things involved when you take a guys truck in and build a motor from start to finish, guys that work for free cut corners and have no room for error, but dont build like they have no room for error at the time, they build for the moment and dont think about the future!!!!!

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What about the added cost of:

Oil
Oil filter
Anti freeze
Gasket kit

Then labor is huge unless your doing it yourself:thumb:

Also what about a girdle non one runs one:confused:

Then once you have that motor whats the point unless you have the goods to go on it:thumb:

Injectors
Dual CP3 kit
Extra CP3
New manfilds up/down pipes
Turbo/turbos
Trans thats built
Tuned
Intercooler

Not everything I listed but when you had it up you have a shit load of money, unless your full sponsored these parts are not cheap even at cost they are expensive.

O then your going to want some new gauges if your running big boost, one if you have a boost gauge now it will be maxed out if your running big boost, second if your runnings 2 turbos= 2 boost gauges.

Then if your putting that power to the ground you want some tractions bars, going faster then 11.49 might wanna cage it, might want some good sticky tires, etc. Guess if you want you can have a 8k motor with a stock turbo, and stock fueling:thumb: Then you have tie rod sleeves maybe a center link to:) maybe a t case brace. Is it worth it to spend a crap load more on all this then to just put a few mods on a duramax and run 12's?

Comes down to this if your not in the tens is it worth spending a ton more to get 11's from 12s?

Just something to think about:thumb:

Why do you gotta put all that stuff on? i dont want or need that stuff. i want a reliable 600-650 hp. i dont want to have to worry about rods. Not everyone wants a drag truck and big huge power

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
come on everyone. this thread was supposed to be informative. there was a lot. but then there is argument on who has built more motors and this and that. why cant we just let it go. and give beech pointers and all that. not how many motors you built. and how yours lasted longer than others

Oct 21, 2009

Its all give or take I dont think saving 1k-3k on a engine if your building a full on bad ass truck is going to make any difference. Build a 1000hp car and its going to cost just as much in engine work:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
what we need is to be fair, funk!! we dont need the market cut to free and we dont need it jacked way up either, im a more than fair person in this game, i have built over 25 builds and know exactly where the pricing needs to be. Do you know where it needs to be funk?? have you built one of these?? do you have a clue what to takes??

why are you so against what trent is doin or know what hes done/workin on? the guy found a way to make these motors work at a reasonable hp for a decent amount of money. No one has to go to trent but apparently a $6500 short block is way out of the question and he must be cuttin corners to do it. jsut like his twin and triples kits must have plastic compressor wheels or something in them to make them so cheap :rolleyes:

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
come on everyone. this thread was supposed to be informative. there was a lot. but then there is argument on who has built more motors and this and that. why cant we just let it go. and give beech pointers and all that. not how many motors you built. and how yours lasted longer than others

No argument Kyle , i think Dimitri is just saying experience helps in this and is just trying to point us in the right direction:thumb:

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut

it was very good i will agree with you, this is not about how many motors someone has built or whos lasts longer, i stated what i did to talk more about the market and being fair but not free!! we all know what kind of a dog fight things can turn into

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
No argument Kyle , i think Dimitri is just saying experience helps in this and is just trying to point us in the right direction:thumb:

i mean i know that. and trent showed that it can be done on a budget and last and all that. i give props to everyone on here for how much they know. but IMO beech was just looking for info on parts and all that

Oct 21, 2009
Why do you gotta put all that stuff on? i dont want or need that stuff. i want a reliable 600-650 hp. i dont want to have to worry about rods. Not everyone wants a drag truck and big huge power

Not saying you have to but alot of stuff for a DD driver is required give it your already have twins and trans I am guessing which cost you how much? If your going from stock its a hefty price.

Point was there is more then just the shortblock in cost. Trent said your guys build was $6500 does that include oil, oil filter, antifreeze, gasket kit? All that is atleast another $500. To each is his own I wouldn't build a built motor to get only 600hp but thats just me matter what your truck is a good looking truck:thumb:

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
why are you so against what trent is doin or know what hes done/workin on? the guy found a way to make these motors work at a reasonable hp for a decent amount of money. No one has to go to trent but apparently a $6500 short block is way out of the question and he must be cuttin corners to do it. jsut like his twin and triples kits must have plastic compressor wheels or something in them to make them so cheap :rolleyes:

James the math just don't add up ? How much is a set of rods, how much is a decent balancer, how much are studs(head and or mains), bearings , gaskets, machining, add them yourself and then compare numbers. where would the labor cost come in at?? Certainly not gonna be free

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut

Im not against what he does, i was talking about rebuilding the heads as well in the prices i was refering too, and not, one person ever said a word about his turbo kits:confused::confused: no one has to go to anyone for that matter right?? were not talking about who goes to who, were talking about pricing, and with trent using the same machine shop as a few of us have for the last 4 years, and its his first time actually having a machine shop do the work, and it happens to be the same shop a few others use, he should be a little more quiet about pricing online!!!!

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Im not against what he does, i was talking about rebuilding the heads as well in the prices i was refering too, and not, one person ever said a word about his turbo kits:confused::confused: no one has to go to anyone for that matter right?? were not talking about who goes to who, were talking about pricing, and with trent using the same machine shop as a few of us have for the last 4 years, and its his first time actually having a machine shop do the work, and it happens to be the same shop a few others use, he should be a little more quiet about pricing online!!!!

I don't talk about your builds or pricing , please don't about mine , you have no clue what I specd , what power level I quoted for, what parts are used and what I paid for them , Randy is machining ans assembling but who says I am buying the parts used from him ?

You have no clue what went into the motor I just picked up , what it cost or what I charged the customer ? Nor do you know what other motors I have done, nor what they cost.