Build costs

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I have around 8,500 in mine. Rods pistons bearing all new gaskets head studs new stock main bolts balancing and tq honing and keying crank and cam new flywheel bolts cam bolt balancer bolt. It's not cheap so pull it out and see what your working with first.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i dunno, everyone has a different way of lookin at how to build a motor. id pull it out, tear it down and get everthing checked out. then go from there like henry said.

the nice part is there seems to be multiple ways to skin a cat now where as not too long ago that wasnt the case

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
I have around 8,500 in mine. Rods pistons bearing all new gaskets head studs new stock main bolts balancing and tq honing and keying crank and cam new flywheel bolts cam bolt balancer bolt. It's not cheap so pull it out and see what your working with first.

sounds kinda familiar:thumb:

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
The price I quoted was based off of the Invoice from the motor Randy just finsih up for me , its less than a day old , pretty current pricing and has a cuit for me in it too ;)

you didnt do everything there mentioned then number 1, did you have the valves, and guides re worked??

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
you didnt do everything there mentioned then number 1, did you have the valves, and guides re worked??

I did, full valve job, slight mill and performance springs too, because it was verified needed after a inspection of the heads , but the quote I was refering too was for James ( chevy 1925 ) , which intelled short block only as I mentioned with the addition of a possible 1k budget for him to prepare for just in case , "depending on condition of stock parts ".

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
sounds kinda familiar:thumb:

July of this year will be 3 years on it. Right now she has 40,000 miles on the build. And I have not been easy on it at all. The other motor we built just about 6 months after mine only thing different is main studs and it has a Ati balancer on it also we keyed the oil pump. Last we talked it had around 70,000 miles only trouble is injectors was replacing 1 here and there now replaced all darn lb7's. The guy is hard on this truck 3500 ex cab dually sled pulls and drag races single LBZ cp3 45% injectors tuning from Tony on a mild tune ran 12.78 @108 and runs a HTT 66

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
You know trent your not the only one that knows a little somethin there, yeah i did call you to tap your thoughts on turbo's and what have you . Thing is you did "take time away from your busy day' to talk to me. Thing is i didnt care for your turbo setup and went elsewhere;)As far as the motor build , who knows if it will last, but you can bet your ass one thing i won't be "half assin " on anything i've built . Futhermore you must have a horseshoe stuck somewhere and i my friend know i do not!!! I may not have the fastest d-max right now :thumb:but i have drag raced all my life and we can test your motor building skills in a quick best out of how ever many times you wanna loose, race ;) i just won't be using the dirtymax. We can then see,how long each motor last , and who can actually build a motor. Hey , i will even rent the track :roflmao:

I didnt see this post , first the motors I am refering to I do not build , I simply assembly the heads on a profesionaly built short block , put covers on , ect and make it a turn key deal for the custommer ( remove , re-install , install injectors , dual cp3's , turbo's ect . ) second I respect your opinion Trey if i did something to piss you off I apoiligze , my post was pointed at more of a mentality than 1 person , whats wrong with a guy building the best truck he can for the $$ he has , most just say dont do it , or stay home if you dont have the $$ , I am saying there IS middle ground , and it isnt half ass'd , it may be depends on how its done .
i take it you don't wanna call my bluff there Trent:hello:

see response above , and I have nothing to prove on the track , I built my truck with the budget I had , made the most out of it instead of crying about not having enough$$ , and I am doing the same this year , and racing is fun for me and want to keep it that way .

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
trying to defuse this guys , and make amends my post earlier may have been interpreted wrong , lets get back on topic , there is alot of good info in this thread for it to be ruind and locked down.

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
I didnt see this post , first the motors I am refering to I do not build , I simply assembly the heads on a profesionaly built short block , put covers on , ect and make it a turn key deal for the custommer ( remove , re-install , install injectors , dual cp3's , turbo's ect . ) second I respect your opinion Trey if i did something to piss you off I apoiligze , my post was pointed at more of a mentality than 1 person , whats wrong with a guy building the best truck he can for the $$ he has , most just say dont do it , or stay home if you dont have the $$ , I am saying there IS middle ground , and it isnt half ass'd , it may be depends on how its done .

see response above , and I have nothing to prove on the track , I built my truck with the budget I had , made the most out of it instead of crying about not having enough$$ , and I am doing the same this year , and racing is fun for me and want to keep it that way .

Alright kinda the response i wanted to here from you , and thank you for clearing that up. The feelings are mutual,as for the motor part i agree there is middle grond but that middle ground can be very sketchy:D:D

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Motor builds have been talked about in great detail on this forum, which is the only way I had half an idea of what to build myself, but the thing everyone should take away from these threads is that one style of motor build or twin turbo set or tranny build maybe not work for the things each of us want our trucks to do. If you want a truck that can do anything, and do it all competitively, its gonna cost $$...I would guess it has cost me double already, to build a competitve truck to both pull and race..not to mention drive everyday. So far I have $35k in receipts for the motor, tranny, suspension...basically everything to make the truck just run...and I'm not even done yet. Some may look at me and say I'm a nobody who hasn't done anything, but guess what, I at least learned all that I just wrote above and it'll be one of the biggest lessons ill ever learn

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
www.larrysperformancepalace.com
Everyone know what we built and how much we spent, with that said here is my thought for any build, gas or diesel.
When using used parts they should at least be your own used parts. You have no idea how anything you didn't own was treated.Tear down your existing motor, find out what needs to be addressed, and what needs to be upgraded. As far as hp wants, everyone knows the stock rods need to go for anything sustained above 700hp. The rest is mearly choice and $$$. The only thing I tell my customers and friends is try to picture the final project with all you want it to do and then backstep to veiw what you really need to do. There is no proof that high dollar builds outlast cheap ones. But, don't short yourself on common sense things either. I would never reuse rings, bearings and gaskets unless trackside and need it now type of thing. Pistons are iffy because as I said before, how were they treated? There are plenty of people who use used pistons all day long and never have trouble so do what you can afford. As far as "shopping" around there is nothing wrong with that. But the final quality is what you need to achieve. The machine shop needs to be expirenced in dmaxs, they are a whole different breed. Keying the cam and crank is a must, new bearings and rings a must if you ask me, good used pistons checked and oked by a qualified person ok. Do your research, find out whats right for your budget and tear it up! Asking us our opinion only starts us "having fun" with each other. The engine I did was very expensive, so far it has about 35,000 miles on it. had some trouble with an oil cooler and blew hd gaskets with studs. Now it has twins, runs like an sob and blows coolant out the tail pipe once in a while:confused: so even with the best money can buy you still can have trouble.