Build costs

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
ill never be content with the amount of power, however budget is dictating what i can do.

i figure with what i specified on the first page 7-800hp should be doable in the future without have to redo any internals.

So have you gained any info here? My question after reading all of this is the pistons.

To de-lip or not, to coat or not? My thinking would be to run stock LB7 pistons connected to a set of aftermarket rods,your choice.

Oct 21, 2009
So have you gained any info here? My question after reading all of this is the pistons.

To de-lip or not, to coat or not? My thinking would be to run stock LB7 pistons connected to a set of aftermarket rods,your choice.

completely stock, coated pistons on Carrillo's or Howards is the combo I'm gonna try.

If/when mine goes that's what I'm doing as well

And thats it:confused: I would say to key your cam too but hey thats just me

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
hope you guys dont plan on making more then 700hp:rofl:

No, i plan to make 699hp and keep it right there :rolleyes:

are you saying that with just rods and coated pistons that they won't make more than 700hp?

There is more too it than just rods and coated pistons (in my eyes) to make the truck reliable at 700+ hp. MAKIN asked a question, we answered it and Relentless is puttin words in our mouths.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Yes, you should key you cam with a stock engine. I've seen it start bending on an untuned truck with 8000 miles.

Anytime you take a Dmax apart, you should replace the headgaskets and key the cam. Probably put new oil in too.

So you mean all that used leaf-40 I've been saving outside in home depot buckets is not recommended for break in?

Last edited:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I believe "if" I was to build a motor I would not de-lip the pistons. I was wondering if others felt the same.

Pretty obvious that other items would be done also I just wanted feed back on pistons. Perhaps the OP can make a decision on what others post also.

IMO a nice reliable streetable DD would be in the 700 HP range. I'll leave the 1000 HP guys that have DEEP pockets in their own league. I'd stick to the middle HP range otherwise your looking for trouble. Really how much are you going to enjoy the power on the street ?

I'd like to hear some more feed back on why your limited to 699 HP with stock coated pistons! There has been NUMEROUS conversation in regards to weaking the piston by removing material. Lets here it,let the truth set you free. :D

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
IMO johnboy posted a simple build years ago and it works

IMHO I think the stock pistons are junk felonies lipped coated covered in candy whatever
You sugarcoat shit it's still shit! I have to wonder why people say you can't run forged pistons on a Dd when halve the people don't even put heavy miles on there trucks???

Then there is the other half that don't even have built motors and care to comment?????

1000 hp to 750 huge difference IMHO

Buying super parts only buys you a little time is the way I look at it. The cost of it is crazy! Dimitri I liked what you have done!! But if your worried about posting cost your a clown. I have done so much opposite of what you have posted and never blinked a eye

Fact is they all break!!! If you can get buy with a cheaper then do it! If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
I believe "if" I was to build a motor I would not de-lip the pistons. I was wondering if others felt the same.

Pretty obvious that other items would be done also I just wanted feed back on pistons. Perhaps the OP can make a decision on what others post also.

IMO a nice reliable streetable DD would be in the 700 HP range. I'll leave the 1000 HP guys that have DEEP pockets in their own league. I'd stick to the middle HP range otherwise your looking for trouble. Really how much are you going to enjoy the power on the street ?

I'd like to hear some more feed back on why your limited to 699 HP with stock coated pistons! There has been NUMEROUS conversation in regards to weaking the piston by removing material. Lets here it,let the truth set you free. :D

Thats the way i see it,, people have lost both lipped and delipped pistons,, I'm going with leaving the material and hopping it holds together just as long as delipped.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Removing the lip reduces the compression ratio. Which more than makes up for the loss in strength to a point. The key here is the reduction in the compression ratio.

However, each point you shave off the CR reduces your truck's daily driver habit.