Build costs

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
This thread went in a hole...

At least Wade took my place as the "marter" :D JK Wade Hang in there maybe another season will help , I am watching results myself but IMOP its to early to lecture any of us about your pistons being any better than anything, I got more then 25 pass's out of mine , at a good bit over 1k hp , 100 pass's would impress me at 1k+, but I bet stock un-touched pistons could last 25 . no insult intended, and my advice if you want these types of comments to stop would be ................. crawl ................... walk...........................run................sprint................ all with a dmax for a decent amount of time , share info to help others with out a mine is better than yours sorta pitch ..............................I doubt that that is your intent ( at least I hope it isnt ) but that is certainly how it is taken.

respect is earned not given , you may have been in this game on the cummins side for a while , but simply put that doesn't matter or hold weight to us , take this post for what it is , friendly advice and not a "slam" .

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2009
Was just trying to see different options of rods/pistons, power limits, costs. Seams that aluminum is another option for the OP and I just did some reasearching and a few guys are selling aluminum goodies. John Force runs aluminum rods it seem like Aluminum could be the next big thing if engineered right for the Duramax. They run them in funny cars and top fuel I am guessing for a reason over steel. Wouldn't you have a more reliable motor if its not going to melt down, and has less rotating mass?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Was just trying to see different options of rods/pistons, power limits, costs. Seams that aluminum is another option for the OP and I just did some reasearching and a few guys are selling aluminum goodies. John Force runs aluminum rods it seem like Aluminum could be the next big thing if engineered right for the Duramax. They run them in funny cars and top fuel I am guessing for a reason over steel. Wouldn't you have a more reliable motor if its not going to melt down, and has less rotating mass?

Aluminum Rods are not an option for street use , top fuel guys replace them pretty regularly. Auminum has alot of benefits some posted in this thread but it has downfalls too , remember aluminum is much softer than steel.

Oct 21, 2009
In short, the Advantage over steel rods are, much cheaper initial cost, Shock absorbtion,Harmonic absorbtion, less bearing wear, less crank flex, less block flex, more HP potential, Faster rate of acceleration.

Aluminum Rods are not an option for street use , top fuel guys replace them pretty regularly. Auminum has alot of benefits some posted in this thread but it has downfalls too , remember aluminum is much softer than steel.

True they do rebuilt those motors after every pass. A ton of guys with EVOs are running Aluminum rods one guy says he has a solution to make it hold to DD. I will be fallowing his thread.

I wonder if anyone has tried running titanium rods in a Duramax, costly to make but stronger then steel and lighter, maybe the titanium ones would hold up....

Last edited:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
True they do rebuilt those motors after every pass. A ton of guys with EVOs are running Aluminum rods one guy says he has a solution to make it hold to DD. I will be fallowing his thread.

I wonder if anyone has tried running titanium rods in a Duramax, costly to make but stronger then steel and lighter, maybe the titanium ones would hold up....

There are guys running aluminum rods on the street, but they make 800-1000hp max and there gas engines, so im not sure if it would be wise to do that yet.

i had a drawing of some ti rods about a year ago and just dont have the money to get them made, it's like 7-8000 a set...but in racing ti gets replaced almost as often...guys only use them because they can get the rods lighter than aluminum, and same strength...

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
With aluminum rods you have to keep track of passes and pull engine down periodically to resize rods. I wouldn't run that on the street ever

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Whats the theory of going to a bored cylinder, say .030 over .040 over, more?? Where do we have to stop, but get a bigger chunk of material that would be less susceptible to cracking across it....? Would it be enough? Cylinder pressure would sure drop.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Whats the theory of going to a bored cylinder, say .030 over .040 over, more?? Where do we have to stop, but get a bigger chunk of material that would be less susceptible to cracking across it....? Would it be enough? Cylinder pressure would sure drop.

More bore allows for more airflow.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
they will all break as said. if i was gonna do one,id go stock rods and some head work,then i shoot the guts out with nos til that one crapped out,then id do it all over.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
they will all break as said. if i was gonna do one,id go stock rods and some head work,then i shoot the guts out with nos til that one crapped out,then id do it all over.

Pretty sure that is what Matt did, not sure if he did any head work however. Kind of have to agree with Pat though, good chance you'll oil down the track pretty quick. But that can happen with any engine built or not.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
I built some pistons from that hot new unobtainium and they're the best shit rollin!! I first designed them for my bicycle and won 15 Russian national titles with them in the last 4 years. you guys don't remember?

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
I built some pistons from that hot new unobtainium and they're the best shit rollin!! I first designed them for my bicycle and won 15 Russian national titles with them in the last 4 years. you guys don't remember?

I remember. But it was the Russians designed that piston first. They also came up with unobtanium. And they even designed the bicycle. You probably don't know this.....a Russian also first invented the light bulb and the telephone. Yep. Russians are the first to design everything.