Build costs

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
No i just take credit for the one's i DID design and have made...i mean they have been on every forum since the first of 2008, where have you been....

Just so's you know, the larger bowl and valve reliefs were being experimented in Dmaxs as early as 2006 by Kyle at Crank it Up and Merchant on the original Nasty Girl build. I believe Guy was also playing with that design on his own. Fingers (Jon) also posted drawings he made up in April 2007 of a design that looks just like your pistons when they were all were discussing LBZ piston cracking. I dont remember you being around under your Accelerator name or any other (unless you are the IBDMAX'N Wade) until late 2008ish, and I paid no attention to CompD back then if it was posted there. If you did something on your own, then good for you...but dang, dont solely take credit for ideas others also came up with.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2009
I think Wade must have Velcro skin, he swoops in on a tread and everything sticks to him.

I read this entire thread and getting back to the original thread topic on build costs, I totally agree it depends on what you are after, and if you can or want to do any of your own work, (I for one hate wrenching). I have never skimped on a build, tried to get the best parts available and use the best builder/s that were known at the time. We have one great year with our truck and one totally shitty year. Never had much engine problems but did most everything else. I totally agree that the machine shop is one of the most important pieces. I don't agree that they have to have a lot of dmax experience, but they should have a lot of race engine experience.

I really like Matt's (camomax's) approach, run the crap out of a stocker with spray put in another when it blows. That is probably the most bang for the buck.:thumb:

If you guys are like most you will never be satisfied with the power you are making and will want to turn it up. All engines will break, not if but when. I think the big advantage we have now over say 5 years ago is tuning, all the stacking of boxes was like playing Russian roulette IMO. Bigger injectors and less timing goes a long way in keeping a higher hp engine alive.

I for one applaud Trent for showing it can be done for less.:thumb: These damn things are way more expensive then they should be.

Shit Stick is a western version of Wade on speed, except Wade knows more. I take 1/2 of what Shit Stick says and toss it out, other half is still 90% BS.:screwy: Take the squeeze away from Shit Stick and he has a nice 11.90 index truck. Says he's got a killer drag truck for 2011. Hope he makes it to Phoenix as he says he's going to. He does use a good machine shop however.

I dont care who you are but that makes me laugh my ass off all the time I think every time you call hime Shit Stick I almost cry laughing:happy2::happy2::happy2:

On a side not thanks for all the info guys keep it coming. :woott:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
But more importantly, "Dial It Up Til' It Blows" is not a good path. I've watched the parade, and it's really screwed a lot of Dmax hotrodders, especially when it's their only transportation. And it often oils down the track, and it can turn your truck into a fireball.

Readers, most (not all) of you are going to be safe up to 600HP with the factory engine. Many of you (not most), will make it to 700. Very few if any will survive 750+ on stock internals. If you know you're going to go past 600HP, it will actually save you money and grief to get a minimum of rods. If you want 750+ HP, you should have a second engine sitting in your garage or other transportation.

Agreed. My apologies to all for my offtopic posts. Beech, figure $5000 to start, and go from there. Dont be me.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Just so's you know, the larger bowl and valve reliefs were being experimented in Dmaxs as early as 2006 by Kyle at Crank it Up and Merchant on the original Nasty Girl build. I believe Guy was also playing with that design on his own. Fingers (Jon) also posted drawings he made up in April 2007 of a design that looks just like your pistons when they were all were discussing LBZ piston cracking. I dont remember you being around under your Accelerator name or any other (unless you are the IBDMAX'N Wade) until late 2008ish, and I paid no attention to CompD back then if it was posted there. If you did something on your own, then good for you...but dang, dont take credit for ideas others also came up with.

I undertsand you. im sure alot of folks are trying new stuff just like i am. but i waent saying that i was the only one, or the best. Just saying my stuff works and it looks like it was copied...maybe i should have not said anything...

It's not about the bowl width or the valve reliefes. it's about the bowl depth and the shape and the material, and the weight, and the ring stack and the compression hight, over the rest of whats offered across the country. If im anything, im not a follower!

But thats the way it is when your doing things no one else is, your going to think different and people will not always agree with your ideas. Im OK with that.

I'd rather be different with my ideas and not melt pistons, than to follow the crowd and use what everyone else does and Melt my stuff every time i go out.....

Anyway my thoughts arent important, sorry for the derail, back on the topic i know nothing about...

Oct 21, 2009
I undertsand you. im sure alot of folks are trying new stuff just like i am. but i waent saying that i was the only one, or the best. Just saying my stuff works and it looks like it was copied...maybe i should have not said anything...

It's not about the bowl width or the valve reliefes. it's about the bowl depth and the shape and the material, and the weight, and the ring stack and the compression hight, over the rest of whats offered across the country. If im anything, im not a follower!

But thats the way it is when your doing things no one else is, your going to think different and people will not always agree with your ideas. Im OK with that.

I'd rather be different with my ideas and not melt pistons, than to follow the crowd and use what everyone else does and Melt my stuff every time i go out.....

Anyway my thoughts arent important, sorry for the derail, back on the topic i know nothing about...

So why did you decide to try aluminum? What is the advantage over steel? What the price of your aluminums compared to some forged rods or pistons?

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
So why did you decide to try aluminum? What is the advantage over steel? What the price of your aluminums compared to some forged rods or pistons?

In short, the Advantage over steel rods are, much cheaper initial cost, Shock absorbtion,Harmonic absorbtion, less bearing wear, less crank flex, less block flex, more HP potential, Faster rate of acceleration.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
****"Trying new stuff" "not the only one or the best." First the modest act. Then the bs about being copied. It wasn't your design to begin with. And you're right, you shouldn't have said anything.
--------------------------------------------
If im anything, im not a follower!
**** Your bs gets pretty thick.
But thats the way it is when your doing things no one else is, your going to think different and people will not always agree with your ideas.
**** Not so modest and self effacing anymore.
I'd rather be different with my ideas .......than to follow the crowd
**** Barf

Your BS gets thicker and thicker. As I understand it that piston is nothing special and you didn't design it anyway.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all

Its the way you act like your the only one doing things different. I hate to tell you but theres a lot of things you dont hear about, especially when it comes to sled pulling. I gaurantee Kusileks have done things with the duramax that makes yours look like an average build, and Kyle Micheals made your power levels 7 years ago and wasnt always melting shit down. Theres more out there than meets the eye, yes you do some things different, but your not in a world by yourself. Quit acting like your an innovator for duramax performance because your not. Your aluminum rods are very cool, and time will tell if they hold up, but that is no where near an innovation for the duramax.