Build costs

Oct 21, 2009
also depends on # of passes you expect it to hold, i got 812 on stock LB7 rods.............................................................. , but only lasted 2 dyno runs and 1 - 1/4 mile pass :spit:

Was that with twins on fuel ?

That was a stock LB7/turbo with intake, exhaust, lift pump, "12.40" tune, modded regulator and turbo inlet....and also the reason I later rebuilt it. :rofl: (I can laugh about it now)

So would you consider this more of a tune issue or messing with the regulator that caused your motor to fail not the hp. (For instance if you had not messed with the regulator and ran that tune but had ran say a bigger turbo to get the biger power do you think it would still have broke at those power levels, I am guessing you were trying to push the stock turbo/motor on fuel only to its max?)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So would you consider this more of a tune issue or messing with the regulator that caused your motor to fail not the hp. (For instance if you had not messed with the regulator and ran that tune but had ran say a bigger turbo to get the biger power do you think it would still have broke at those power levels, I am guessing you were trying to push the stock turbo/motor on fuel only to its max?)

PM sent.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
also depends on # of passes you expect it to hold, i got 812 on stock LB7 rods.............................................................. , but only lasted 2 dyno runs and 1 - 1/4 mile pass :spit:

Yup. When we were playing with Casper's stock engine, we had run many passes (50? maybe more) at ~640HP. We cranked it up with a GT4202R, roughly 750HP IIRC (that was way back when 750HP was a lot, and a GT42 was large :D), and were running about 11 flat at 120, and it didn't take long before it was smoking white at idle. Compression test told the tale.

Autopsy showed just bent rods, about .06" each, everything else was reused including the pistons. That engine had seen a lot of abuse, including >50PSI boost with the factory head bolts, and never a leak.

Since then, we have run from "rods only" up through 440+ CI fully built twin turbo engines. For us, no type of engine build has been 100% reliable, pistons being the limiter. No crank breakage. No cracked pistons.

Gimme some steel pistons, and I'll go 220mph. :woott:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I would like to see how these pistons would hold up. I think Mike Woods my have rans a set like them at one time.I saw these at SEMA in the J&E booth and had to get my hands on them and talk with the guys there. They said you have to run a special rod that runs a small wrist pin.

DSCF0909.jpg

DSCF0910.jpg

DSCF0911.jpg

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I would like to see how these pistons would hold up. I think Mike Woods my have rans a set like them at one time.I saw these at SEMA in the J&E booth and had to get my hands on them and talk with the guys there. They said you have to run a special rod that runs a small wrist pin.

DSCF0909.jpg

DSCF0910.jpg

DSCF0911.jpg

What are they made out of? What Rods run a smaller wrist pin to accomodate these pistons? Never seen them before....

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Yup. When we were playing with Casper's stock engine, we had run many passes (50? maybe more) at ~640HP. We cranked it up with a GT4202R, roughly 750HP IIRC (that was way back when 750HP was a lot, and a GT42 was large :D), and were running about 11 flat at 120, and it didn't take long before it was smoking white at idle. Compression test told the tale.

Autopsy showed just bent rods, about .06" each, everything else was reused including the pistons. That engine had seen a lot of abuse, including >50PSI boost with the factory head bolts, and never a leak.

Since then, we have run from "rods only" up through 440+ CI fully built twin turbo engines. For us, no type of engine build has been 100% reliable, pistons being the limiter. No crank breakage. No cracked pistons.

Gimme some steel pistons, and I'll go 220mph. :woott:

Why steel pat? Aluminum cant get it done?

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
What are they made out of? What Rods run a smaller wrist pin to accomodate these pistons? Never seen them before....

There just copies of the pistons i hade made 2.5 years ago for my pro truck...minus the coating. Once i sent greg pictures of them he had JE copy them.....like everything else he does.

The JE will work fine im sure, but there are major differences that cant be seen in a photo between the origonal and the copied part....

1800* and 21 passes tons of nitrous and no pistons issues'......

Attachments

• WadesPicturesheadsrods,piston001.jpg
    WadesPicturesheadsrods,piston001.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 60

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
There just copies of the pistons i hade made 2.5 years ago for my pro truck...minus the coating. Once i sent greg pictures of them he had JE copy them.....like everything else he does.

The JE will work fine im sure, but there are major differences that cant be seen in a photo between the origonal and the copied part....

I seen them 3 years ago, so who did you copy them off of? :poke:

Oct 21, 2009

What are your aluminum rods and pistons running?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Why does Wade keep taking credit for every part ever designed for a Dmax? God, its tiring....

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Why does Wade keep taking credit for every part ever designed for a Dmax? God, its tiring....

Its called low self esteem, it makes people feel better about themselves. Dont give him a hard time about it, you know how them panzy jackwagons are.:roflmao:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

21 whole 1/8th (cough... wimpy... cough) passes? OMG!!!

At a single national event, we ran Casper over 20 quarter passes at a higher HP level than you're running, and our pistons were OK too. They were stock pistons. Didn't see you there. It was the Finals (surprise, surprise, I guess your invite got lost in the mail).

When you get some seat time at the track, come back and bless us with your experthood. Until then, STFU about surviving several half track passes.

It's pretty rare that you'll see me trash talking other folk's racing efforts. But when it comes to your nonsense, I make an exception. You've trash talked just about every diesel racer on earth at one time or another, so I'm trying to speak a language you might understand.

Oct 21, 2009
Seems like the stock LB7 pistons seem to be pretty reliable from what everyone I have talked too has said:woott: Only wish the rods were stronger:(