Are things ever going to get better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
Not democratic actually. I'm just going off of historic events and basic financial models. In short the country is in a hole. I don't care who you blame. If the nation is going to rebound the people with money unfortunately are going to have to pay through the nose it's inevitable. I don't enjoy it, my family suffers big time from it as my dad owns his own business so trust me I do know how it goes. And I am worried about the guy next to me. I like my country and have faith in the people who live here. If you don't maybe you ought to move.

trust me, the first state to succeed from the union, ill be moving there. im not proud to be part of the united states of the offended.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Try living in Michigan. We've been hit harder by NAFTA and loss of manufacturing jobs than any other state in the US. Plus we have Detroit dragging us down. You guys are only now seeing whats been happening here for 8 years.
Dont get me started on Chairman Obama and the Communist Congress....

That being said, I personally had a good year....well except for the things I have to fix around the house and truck.

Last edited:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Try living in Michigan. We've been hit harder by NAFTA and loss of manufacturing jobs than any other state in the US. Plus we have Detroit dragging us down. You guys are only now seeing whats been happening here for 8 years.
Dont get me started on Chairman Obama and the Communist Congress....

That being said, I personally had a good year....well except for the things I have to fix around the house and truck.

I know you don't want to hear this but the UAW bankrupted GM.

And your state is so solidly Democratic in how it votes that you guys have no choice but to be a total failure because Democrats can't run anything properly.

Look at a Map of the USA, Red states are doing much better than Blue states and that is because of the Policies.

I know your a big Union Supporter and that is fine, but when you make it too expensive to a company to employ you they leave.........NAFTA !!!

I don't want you to take this the wrong way either, but driving a truck and delivering packages pays pretty well and when you compare what you do to what a construction laborer does or what a skilled tradesman does and you look at your benefit package your Union negotiated a pretty good deal to drive a truck dropping off boxes. Now compare what you get to do that and what the guy get's paid busting his ass loading that truck for you.

;)

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
Not democratic actually. I'm just going off of historic events and basic financial models. In short the country is in a hole. I don't care who you blame. If the nation is going to rebound the people with money unfortunately are going to have to pay through the nose it's inevitable. I don't enjoy it, my family suffers big time from it as my dad owns his own business so trust me I do know how it goes. And I am worried about the guy next to me. I like my country and have faith in the people who live here. If you don't maybe you ought to move.

I was told even if you move to another country and work there you still have to pay federal tax to the states. Dont know if its true but dont doubt it.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
you guys wanna know where to make money? 3 words:

MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX

kbr is constantly taking applications. dyncorp is too. I have lived at Al Asad, Iraq for the last 4 months, population of about 20,000. at least half that are contractors. i havent met an unhappy American contractor yet. i know if i had a CDL or was a electrician or other tradesman starting out id go straight overseas to get my feet under me making 6 figures for a few years

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I know you don't want to hear this but the UAW bankrupted GM. Completely agree. Legacy costs killed GM. That is something I think about when it comes to UPS too. I would hope the Teamsters dont follow the UAW plan and instead think about the future.

And your state is so solidly Democratic in how it votes that you guys have no choice but to be a total failure because Democrats can't run anything properly. You can thank Detroit for all that. Most of the rest of the state is solidly Republican, but Detroit (Dem) voters outnumber us. Now, that being said, no matter who has been in charge for the past 15 years, they have run this state into the ground. Engler (Rep) did most of the damage with his policies. Granholm (Dem) has stuck her head in the sand and done little to nothing to help. Our Legislature is more interested in "winning" than doing what's necesary to make our state more attractive to business.

Look at a Map of the USA, Red states are doing much better than Blue states and that is because of the Policies. I do not think that is the case. It also depends on what TYPE of businesses are in that state.

I know your a big Union Supporter and that is fine, but when you make it too expensive to a company to employ you they leave.........NAFTA !!! ...and you arent. I may be Teamster, but that doesnt make me a "big union supporter". I do believe that unions have gone too far in what they demand. Retirees seem to think that they should have the world. Early retirement sucked up most of the pension resources too. But I digress. NAFTA killed manufacturing in this country. Michigan had more manufacturing jobs than any other state save California. Had nothing to do with unions, but rather with corporate greed. Products that used to be made here for $$XX.00 did not drop in price when mfg went to Mexico..and where did that extra profit go?

I don't want you to take this the wrong way either, but driving a truck and delivering packages pays pretty well and when you compare what you do to what a construction laborer does or what a skilled tradesman does and you look at your benefit package your Union negotiated a pretty good deal to drive a truck dropping off boxes. Now compare what you get to do that and what the guy get's paid busting his ass loading that truck for you.
Yes it does. I am not arguing that fact, but you do insult me and my coworkers nonetheless. We also have far more responsibility than the guy loading the truck. We get blamed for all their mistakes and have to make up for them, too. We have to make up for inpet management. We have to deal with customer concerns/requests that can sometimes be unresonable. We are expected to produce xx number of stops per hour safely and efficiently, all the while treating our customers with respect and attention. We have to sell the business, too. Loaders do not have to do any of that....they leave and go to class, or go drinking or goofing off. Basically, shit rolls downhill, and we wear brown. We have to fix all the screwups.
Please do not assume you know our jobs. I do not to tell you how your job should pay based on my opinion of it, so I would expect the same respect from you. Sounds like you have some other beef?
in red

Last edited:

T2CH

<<<Me...Not My Wife...
Apr 30, 2008
Charlottesville, Va
you guys wanna know where to make money? 3 words:

MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX

kbr is constantly taking applications. dyncorp is too. I have lived at Al Asad, Iraq for the last 4 months, population of about 20,000. at least half that are contractors. i havent met an unhappy American contractor yet. i know if i had a CDL or was a electrician or other tradesman starting out id go straight overseas to get my feet under me making 6 figures for a few years

More info please. PM if you like.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
i dont have any inside info on the contractors there, i'm military. when i go back in 2 weeks i can ask some people for you guys that want more info though. i had personally asked the firefighters there what was required for certs and experience though and all that is needed for that is FF I/II, first responder. and they make just under 6 figures to start, ~60 days leave per year. i would go right back as a FF if i didnt have 3 more years till my ETS.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Tom,

I am not hammering you or the job you do, but there are many other jobs that are more labor intensive, require more skill, and are more dangerous than yours with less pay and usually no benefits.
Everyone in business has to deal with customers, mistakes, etc, if someone I hire screws up I have to fix it as well so I am not telling how to do your job just letting you know that although it may be difficult at times due to weather, package volume, etc it still does not compare to other jobs that pay a lot less for a lot more work.

If it were not for the Union you would be making 30% less and have bare bones benefits. Great for you, you have a Union looking out for you and it can bring UPS to it's knees and has but at what cost ??

You will also benefit from the sweet heart deal the Unions made with Obama, your "Cadillac" Health plan if you get one will be exempted for now from the high tax that all non-union workers with comparable benefits will have to pay.

As far as NAFTA, jobs went there for a host of reasons, high taxes on equipment, heating costs, energy costs, onerous regulations, stupidity in the way Unions want to run things. If a light is out you need an electrician to change a bulb, if a screw is loose a mechanic is the only guy who can tighten it. If you can't do your job we will find an easier one for you and if you are there longer your seniority gets you a job you might not be qualified for or can do but simply that you have the most time in. Efficiency, what's that ???

I don't have a beef, I just look at things for what they appear to be. Our country appears to be run by people who are happy to give it all away to those who don't work hard but rather intimidate those in business. ACORN is one who comes to mind.

Reagan fired the ATC's in the early 80's because they struck, how much money does a UAW worker lose when they strike ??? Just say they lose 6-8 weeks of income at what $20/hour so they lost $5-8K in income to get a 3% pay raise. So let's do the math, 3% of $20 is $0.60/hour x 40hrs/wk, wow $24 more a week, after taxes $16-18 more. So if I strike for a month and lose $4000 in income it takes me 166 weeks to earn that back before what I went on strike for will pay off. But nobody thinks about that.

What about when one supplier who makes a critical part strikes and shuts down everyone for weeks, everyone else is getting screwed because of something they may or may not agree with. That sure is fair that I would lose work because some "other" Union went on strike.

:eek:

Last edited:

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
I find it funny that liberals all praise that they want fair and equal health care for everyone yet when the deal is about to be made the unions end up being exempt from any tax increase on their plans for X amount of years. Now I know not all union members are supporters of Obamacare but when they stand to benefit from the tax breaks it would be hard to go against the masses within the union. With that said, how is that being fair and ensuring EVERY American gets cheap and affordable healthcare? I think what they mean is, cheap and fair health care for all LIBERAL Obama voting citizens while the rest of those racist, bigot, tea baggers pay out the wazooo. :rolleyes:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I dont think all Unions are created equal, nor do they have the same motives. Im Union and proud, i make a good wage, one of the highest of the union trades, if not the highest. That being said, more peoples lives are in our hands (elevator constructors) everyday than any other mode of transportation. Theres not many non-union elevator companys for a reason, its a very skilled trade and takes a lot of training/education. We get a fair wage, and if you tell me im over payed because im "union" i will prove you wrong. :thumb: To go and say Unions are killing this country is Bullshit, and it would be no different than me just saying the rats are killing this country by driving wages down, and the quality of work. Theres many, many reasons that we are where we are today, and the president and unions are not solely to blame. Last time i checked the economy was taking a dump before Obama got into office. Oh wait, he was suppose to fix it over night :rolleyes:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Btw, im not getting into a political argument on here,(due to bringing out the 7 year old in everybody) that was just my opinion about the president and everyone has the right to their own, im not happy with the current president, or the past, but whoever is in office will take time to make things better, and i didnt expect for anything to get better overnight

Last edited:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I dont think all Unions are created equal, nor do they have the same motives. Im Union and proud, i make a good wage, one of the highest of the union trades, if not the highest. That being said, more peoples lives are in our hands (elevator constructors) everyday than any other mode of transportation. Theres not many non-union elevator companys for a reason, its a very skilled trade and takes a lot of training/education. We get a fair wage, and if you tell me im over payed because im "union" i will prove you wrong. :thumb: To go and say Unions are killing this country is Bullshit, and it would be no different than me just saying the rats are killing this country by driving wages down, and the quality of work. Theres many, many reasons that we are where we are today, and the president and unions are not solely to blame. Last time i checked the economy was taking a dump before Obama got into office. Oh wait, he was suppose to fix it over night :rolleyes:

It was, it was because of corporate greed and Democratic Parties policies that made it really easy to get a loan for a home due to the Clinton Presidency that allowed the relaxation of requirements or should I say "forced" banks to lend to dead beats. ACORN was big on that and stealing the election which is why Obama is "not" the rightful President,not that McCain is any better and the fact that and stupid people voting en mass for the anointed one.

Btw, im not getting into a political argument on here,(due to bringing out the 7 year old in everybody) that was just my opinion about the president and everyone has the right to their own, im not happy with the current president, or the past, but whoever is in office will take time to make things better, and i didnt expect for anything to get better overnight

Obama is not doing a thing to make it better, he and his buddies are making it far worse. He is using America's good credit to "MAX OUT" our nations credit card and the Chinese will raise our interest rate or call our loan and then we will be screwed. Think of an adjustable rate loan, it might be affordable now but later when the rate goes up it sure will not be.

Thanks to the deficit spending and the social welfare programs we now have 50% of the country not paying income tax but getting a refund.

:(

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Bottom line is, there is too much wrong with this country to fix within a year or two. Our Government only cares about controlling the citizenry, not improving the lives of every citizen thru intelligent policies.
We the people have let the politicians run amok instead of demanding better. We've lost control of our own country to special interests and global corporations.

Thats it, Im done. The forum ownership doesnt want political discussion (I dont blame them), and I feel Im going to go off on a rant....

Tony, you and I could talk for hours about this. :)

Last edited:

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
i dont have any inside info on the contractors there, i'm military. when i go back in 2 weeks i can ask some people for you guys that want more info though. i had personally asked the firefighters there what was required for certs and experience though and all that is needed for that is FF I/II, first responder. and they make just under 6 figures to start, ~60 days leave per year. i would go right back as a FF if i didnt have 3 more years till my ETS.

im very interested its dead here in Hawaii.

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
all i know is for the 3 trillion dollars that has been sdpent on bail out plans the government could have given every citizen 12k cash , just something to think about , for my family alone we would have gotten 36k in bail out money I could have done alot of stimulating with 36 grand :rofl:

i agree with you a 110%!!

and it would be simple they could do a price freeze across the nation, and give cash to people who had steady jobs for a X period of time. That way the welfare sponges wouldnt get free money and the working americans could have some relief.

WrekNBall

Bored
May 29, 2009
Wandering from room to room..
Got this in an e-mail. May be fake but still funny.

Don Rickles Roasts the Dems...

Hello, dummies! Oh my God, look at you. Anyone else hurt in the accident?

Seriously, Senator Reid has a face of a Saint - A Saint Bernard. Now I know why they call you the arithmetic man. You add partisanship, subtract pleasure, divide attention, and multiply ignorance. Reid is so physically unimposing, he makes Pee Wee Herman look like Mr. T. And Reid's so dumb, he makes Speaker Pelosi look like an intellectual. Nevada is soooo screwed! If I were less polite, I'd say Reid makes Kevin Federline look successful.

Speaking of the Speaker... Nancy Pelosi, hubba, hubba! Hey baby, you must've been something before electricity.
Seriously, the Speaker may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. She really is an idiot.
Madame Speaker... want to make twelve bucks the hard way? Pelosi says she's not partisan, but her constituents call her Madame Pelossilini.

Charlie Rangel... still alive and still robbing the taxpayers blind. What does that make, six decades of theft?
Rangel's the only man with a rent-controlled mansion. He's the guy who writes our tax laws but forgot to pay taxes on $75 grand in rental income! So why isn't he the Treasury Secretary? Rangel runs more scams than a Nigerian Banker.

Barney Frank - he's a better actor than Fred Flintstone. Consider... he and Dodd caused the whole financial meltdown and they're not only not serving time with Bubba and Rodney, they're still heading up the financial system!
Let's all admit it... Barney Frank slobbers more than a sheepdog on Novocain.. How did this guy get elected? Oh, that's right... he's from Massachusetts . That's the state that elects Mr. Charisma, John Kerry -- man of the people!

You know, if Senator Dodd were any more crooked, you could open wine bottles with him.
Here's a news flash, Dodd: when your local newspaper calls you a "lying weasel", it may be time to retire.
Dodd's involved in more shady deals than the Clintons . Even Rangel looks up to him!

Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, I really respect you... especially given your upbringing. All you've overcome.... I heard your birth certificate is an apology from the condom factory. I don't know what makes you so dumb, but it really works for you. Personally, I don't think you're a fool, but what's my opinion compared to that of thousands of others?

As for President Obama, what can I say? They say President Obama's arrogant and aloof, but I don't agree.
Now it's true when you enter the room, you have to kiss his ring. I don't mind, but he has it in his back pocket.
His mind is open to new ideas -- so open that ideas simply pass through it. Obama lies so much, I was actually surprised to find out his first name really was Barack.
Just don't ask about his middle name! But Obama was able to set a record... he actually lied more in 60 days than Bill Clinton.

FOR THOSE THAT VOTED FOR "HOPE AND CHANGE"...
BEND OVER AND PREPARE TO RECEIVE YOUR BOUNTY!

T2CH

<<<Me...Not My Wife...
Apr 30, 2008
Charlottesville, Va

keep me in mind if you will, I am interested in more information
Thanks

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
In two more weeks I will have not worked for a year. I guess I am a welfare junkie, though I apply and apply for jobs below and above my skill level and never hear anything. So thank you all for supporting me and lining my pockets with money so I can pay my rent and keep my truck another month:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.