Any billet cranks in DD'ers?

Dmax_Ben

Dec 7, 2016
In my truck, just one. It's that old saying if you continue to do the same thing over and over again thinking you will get a different result...well that is the definition of insanity! Banks thinks fluid dampeners but I've seen plenty of them broken with one so that's not the fix either. It's a design flaw and time will tell if the Callie's or Bryant or Wynberg will prove to be a better choice.:thumb:

Or the l5p haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
In my truck, just one. It's that old saying if you continue to do the same thing over and over again thinking you will get a different result...well that is the definition of insanity! Banks thinks fluid dampeners but I've seen plenty of them broken with one so that's not the fix either. It's a design flaw and time will tell if the Callie's or Bryant or Wynberg will prove to be a better choice.:thumb:

Einstein, I believe.

Has banks never broke one with a fluid damper? Seems odd with as much testing they do.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Or the l5p haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that it won't be interchangeable into our older BLocks so it's not probably going to be an option for us. Time will tell but with the rear reluctor wheel it doesn't look good. The design of it is definitely better and regardless of GM officially coming out and saying they have an issue or not the L5P speaks volumes!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Oh cmon Mark, I have faith that someone smart will think of a way to use a front reluctor. The Dmax community has solved every other flaw the Duramax has had. Well....except for LB7 injectors. ;)

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The L5P crank modifications are definitely a step in the right direction as to rectifying the crank issue imo. Time will tell if I'm right.

As far as the a/f cam goes I have yet to hear of an engine balanced with a new lml and and an a/f cam that is at normal person street hp breaking. A few with used cranks that broke, same for 750hp plus that have broke with this configuration, but no new. I still feel for the average Joe this is the best combo. If your looking to run more hp daily, then I would look at that wagler assembly Brett posted the link to.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
The L5P crank modifications are definitely a step in the right direction as to rectifying the crank issue imo. Time will tell if I'm right.

As far as the a/f cam goes I have yet to hear of an engine balanced with a new lml and and an a/f cam that is at normal person street hp breaking. A few with used cranks that broke, same for 750hp plus that have broke with this configuration, but no new. I still feel for the average Joe this is the best combo. If your looking to run more hp daily, then I would look at that wagler assembly Brett posted the link to.

X2. Everybody also has a BUDGET. In the end, you the end user has to decide what will work best for you goals and budget.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
If you want much less chances of breaking one use the Callie's Crank. I believe they are the only one that has addressed the problem areas. If you stay stock the LML crank would be the best option. Good machine work and balancing are very important so make sure it's right. There is about a 2500 buck difference in the two cranks at the cheapest comparison. Most built engines don't last long for the money you spend on them. Most miles I have gotten was mid 60 thousand. Least mikes was 7 thousand. The higher mileage one cracked a Mahle piston around 1000hp area. The lower mileage broke the crank that was in the previous one. It was around 1200 hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I get flamed for this, but it's true. Ngm built a crank like this back in 2012 with winburg , standard camshaft fire order, still in service today.

The crank had smaller pin width which added counterweight mass and needed modified duramax rods or a typical gas rod.

dmartinfastsnow

Mar 6, 2010
Niles MI.

My built motor with billet mains af cam and balanced LML crank just broke. 25,000 miles at 630rwhp and 5,000 miles at 725rwhp. I'm probably gonna go billet this time time around. I'm tired of rolling the dice.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
So was it a brand new LML crank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frankin_truck

Nov 22, 2013
Why does everyone keep saying that billet cranks are so expensive? the average person can't afford them? . Let's put this in prospective you will spend 15k-20k to build your engine and imo the most important part is the crank and block they are the foundation. Blocks don't seem to be much of a problem but cranks are so spending another 3.5k-5k to help protect my 20k investment doesn't seem like that much of a decision. I am just a averase Joe with a average income but will be putting a billet crank next time I build my engine. Just my 2 cents

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Why does everyone keep saying that billet cranks are so expensive? the average person can't afford them? . Let's put this in prospective you will spend 15k-20k to build your engine and imo the most important part is the crank and block they are the foundation. Blocks don't seem to be much of a problem but cranks are so spending another 3.5k-5k to help protect my 20k investment doesn't seem like that much of a decision. I am just a averase Joe with a average income but will be putting a billet crank next time I build my engine. Just my 2 cents

Because billet has broken also. So it's not insurance by any means. At least not for the average 5-600hp dd.

And most people's budgets don't allow for 3+ extra. Mine cost about 12g and I shorted my build on new injectors and a built trans because the money wasn't there.

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
Because billet has broken also. So it's not insurance by any means. At least not for the average 5-600hp dd.

And most people's budgets don't allow for 3+ extra. Mine cost about 12g and I shorted my build on new injectors and a built trans because the money wasn't there.

Like mark said earlier in this thread, that's on stock configuration crankshafts, the narrower rod journals seem to be the answer! It's a completely different approach now correct me if I'm wrong but I do not believe a crankshaft of this configuration has broke to anyone's knowledge yet.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Like mark said earlier in this thread, that's on stock configuration crankshafts, the narrower rod journals seem to be the answer! It's a completely different approach now correct me if I'm wrong but I do not believe a crankshaft of this configuration has broke to anyone's knowledge yet.
Both version's are still available. And the latest costs even more because I believe you need matching rods for the narrow journals.

Not a budget piece imo.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ya but machining isn't free is my point. And then special bearings.