Any billet cranks in DD'ers?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
SoCal uses LB7/LLY balancers and flywheels with LML cranks.

TheDirty06

Sep 28, 2014
Horton, KS
I'm putting an lml crank in my lbz. I talked with guy at SoCal and he had me go with an lb7/lly/lml flywheel and a lb7 damper. Said it would be the closest for balancing.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I'm putting an lml crank in my lbz. I talked with guy at SoCal and he had me go with an lb7/lly/lml flywheel and a lb7 damper. Said it would be the closest for balancing.

Now that you mention it, that's what he told me as well.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
From what I've read. They're supposed to be harder material then the lbz and lmm crank. Similar to an lb7 crank but a cheaper price. S Phinney knows more about all that.

no.... no its not....

Where do guys come up with these rumors :confused::confused:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
These rumors as you call it come from testing the hardness by Guy Tripp. They use the lb7 damper and flywheel because they are very similar to the lb7 in counterweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I toured the Callies facility and saw the first run of these cranks in several stages of production. Really nice workmanship by a company that also manufactures cranks for some leading marine engine builders. Stuff built to spin upwards of 13-2000hp for hours on end.

I opted for the internal balanced version, felt price was reasonable. However as mentioned above, the main issue goes back to original GM design. The narrowed rod journals add some meat in the overlap area, but when pushing double or triple stock power, it's all just a crap shoot if they hold up or not...

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
These rumors as you call it come from testing the hardness by Guy Tripp. They use the lb7 damper and flywheel because they are very similar to the lb7 in counterweight.

Guy can't account for every single crank made and by no means can it be a definitive answer to be better. It's like testing the strength of stock Allison shafts on what ones had the hardening treatment done all the way through vs others. There will be harder lmm cranks than others, same with lbz and so on. You don't know what your Getting when you buy one off the shelf.

Even if they are a different metallurgy, they clearly were not the answer to the crank break issue.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
My 2016 race engine Wagler built had a Callies crank in it. It's back at Wagler's get torn down and the crank is going back to Callies so they can check it over and make sure its as good as they say it is. This engine ran all year between 1500-1700+hp!!

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I never said it was a definite answer to better. For a stock crank it's the best option for the money. The only way to fix the crank breakage is aftermarket cranks like the Callie versions and for that matter any particular part can break period. Nothing is 100 percent fail proof.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I never said it was a definite answer to better. For a stock crank it's the best option for the money. The only way to fix the crank breakage is aftermarket cranks like the Callie versions and for that matter any particular part can break period. Nothing is 100 percent fail proof.

Never said you did say that. Only reiterating a point because we all know how quickly things can get turned around.

I do agree the Callie's style crank is the best bet to stop the issue until we see if the new l5p crank can prove its self as well.

TheDirty06

Sep 28, 2014
Horton, KS
I wasn't saying it was the answer either just the best option for the money when you can't afford a billet crank. Honestly I'm not sure a billet crank you can say is the answer either because some of them have broke. Now will they give you a longer life? Yes I'm sure they will! Everybody is sayin the l5p is the fix but we don't know that yet. Hell we don't even know if they are even compatible with our engines. I think there's a whole lot more to it then trying to solve it with just a crank.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I think GM engineers lurk around these forums more than we know. Just looking at the oiling and cooling upgrades to the LML alone tells me they've been reading posts... So hopefully they tackled these crank issues this go round.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I think GM engineers lurk around these forums more than we know. Just looking at the oiling and cooling upgrades to the LML alone tells me they've been reading posts... So hopefully they tackled these crank issues this go round.

I do agree that they have been listening. It's a shame it took 15 years to see a move in that direction.

Dmax_Ben

Dec 7, 2016
So I'm finally getting a built engine!!! Wondering if there are any daily driven billet cranks out there. Looking at the 800-1000hp range right now but probably end up north of that sooner than later. My luck always sucks so I'm trying to plan ahead and do it right the first time. Thanks

For your power goals I'd feel safe on stock, keyed crank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dmax_Ben

Dec 7, 2016
Billet cranks of completely stock configuration break but the question is the narrowed rod journal versions... Time will tell but I can tell you right now that my favorite billet crank so far is the Bryant because it has the thickest throws which is what we need the most. The best combo overall would be the Bryant with L5P rod journal size! I can tell you the next time my crank breaks I will not be putting a stock one back in period!

How many have you broken now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
In my truck, just one. It's that old saying if you continue to do the same thing over and over again thinking you will get a different result...well that is the definition of insanity! Banks thinks fluid dampeners but I've seen plenty of them broken with one so that's not the fix either. It's a design flaw and time will tell if the Callie's or Bryant or Wynberg will prove to be a better choice.:thumb: