Any billet cranks in DD'ers?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
there are very few that have built engines and DD them. guys that build them generally use them for fun or drag trucks. Most that DD them will not be running around on 800+ tunes either. For one, you will need 4wd all the time to even use and Two, you get that high in the HP and you will wear the drivetrain out quickly.

the other thing is turnover rate. ive seen alot of guys (not on this forum) that have built their engines and made awesome power, then sold the truck not but a year or two later because they had too many things nickle and dime them (engine related or not) or it just wasnt as well rounded of a truck as they had thought.

I agree. 1000hp dd is not gonna last. These magazines make people think it could be done.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
there are very few that have built engines and DD them. guys that build them generally use them for fun or drag trucks. Most that DD them will not be running around on 800+ tunes either. For one, you will need 4wd all the time to even use and Two, you get that high in the HP and you will wear the drivetrain out quickly.

the other thing is turnover rate. ive seen alot of guys (not on this forum) that have built their engines and made awesome power, then sold the truck not but a year or two later because they had too many things nickle and dime them (engine related or not) or it just wasnt as well rounded of a truck as they had thought.

I agree with all of this. Once you turn the power up all sorts of little things start to pop up. Whether it be as little as blowing intercooler boots, or as big as trans refreshes, it just seems like there is always something. Also worth noting there is absolutely no need for 800+hp in a daily driver haha. I poke around for fun on tune 3 which is probably in that 800hp neighborhood and I rarely see the need to turn it up unless I am at the track. It is downright scary(useless) on the street. Tires melt at anything less than 70 in 2wd.

Al's max

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
Very true James. This is going in my 95 truck that will never be sold and it's definitely for fun and will make it to the track occasionally. I own several trucks and this one is not really even driven much. I guess I should be asking would be any reasons a billet crank shouldn't be used? Socal has to machine the rods so could there be any long term affects there by putting more miles on one than most would?

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Not 1000 but almost there. Daily driven and traction isn't much of an issue. Still on the stock crank and standard firing order cam. Probably go with a LML crank next time. Trans was refreshed two years ago. Pistons were replaced four years ago. Truck has 105,000 miles total. First 25,000 was 600hp, 750hp till 55,000, 900+ now

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If you want much less chances of breaking one use the Callie's Crank. I believe they are the only one that has addressed the problem areas. If you stay stock the LML crank would be the best option. Good machine work and balancing are very important so make sure it's right. There is about a 2500 buck difference in the two cranks at the cheapest comparison. Most built engines don't last long for the money you spend on them. Most miles I have gotten was mid 60 thousand. Least mikes was 7 thousand. The higher mileage one cracked a Mahle piston around 1000hp area. The lower mileage broke the crank that was in the previous one. It was around 1200 hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
What makes the LML crank better than previous year cranks?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What makes the LML crank better than previous year cranks?

nothing, they are just reasonably priced and new. the only new factory crank that looks to have been fixed is the L5P but you cant buy parts for them yet

Vmyrhaug

2003 lb7sac45 35" 20x12 fjallasport flares
Mar 6, 2016
Norway
Mr Banks, does he have a diffrent crank in the military engines? If they are duramax of course:)