LLY: All 8 injectors bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
I am sorry about the different "stories" it is just my son has been helping me out by taking it by the dealer, he made some assumptions not based on facts, etc. Let me straighten it out.

The truck ran rough, then died.
We drug it to my shop at our home.
I changed the fuel filter, tried to get it to restart.
Wouldn't restart.
My son took it to local GM dealer in Seminole, OK because I had to work.
They said 4 and 7 injectors were bad, based on something their Tech 2 machine said. I don't know.
Also EGR valve is bad.
That is all they could tell me.
They were going to replace 4, 7 both rails, egr valve, and fuel filter housing.
I declined.
Decided to get the injectors tested at Thompson Diesel, OKC. Very good folks, that know what they are doing.
All 8 tested bad. I confirmed this today in person. I watched them test them for me. Solenoids work, we could hear them in each injector, but the injector wouldn't squirt out the tip. A couple would dribble, but that is all.
I bought 8 new ones, and ordered a new CP3.
Removed the CP3 2 hours ago.
Here it is to prove it.
IMG_0267.jpg

Now I am sitting at home, typing on here.
I STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CAUSED THIS. I looked at the farm diesel tank we filled the truck up with and didn't see any water. ??? All I know to do is Replace the injectors, CP3, clean all the lines and rails, and the tank, and hope it runs.

Last edited:

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
You aint kidding. I just found the one at DP where he says he replaced an injector, yet here he says he hasn't. GM says it needed 5 per the codes, not 2. And don't forget that it was a 60/40 mix of water and off-road diesel so he can't go after the fuel station since he's not supposed to be running it in it anyways. And to top it all off he's mad at GM because his WIF light didn't alert him, yet if he was using the reccomended filter as per GM it would have shut off once it got that much water in it as the 2 micron filter will not allow water to pass through as water molcules are 8-10 microns in size. Too many details here sound fishy.

What filter is 2 micron? I buy the ones GM sells, they used to be blue, now they are just white. AC Delco boxes, what should I HAVE USED???

DougSmith

I dont know sh!t either, but I am ssorry you had to go through all of this. the only thing I can say that I know for a fact, is that in a diesel tank, water will be at the bottom, so if the farm tank you looked in, and was from the top, you wont see any water floating. So in order to tell if there is water, you have to pump from the bottom of the tank into a clear jar, let it all settle and then you will see if there is any water.

What I dont understand is this, you have a $10,000 enigne, in a truck that goes for over $35,000 and you run illegal fuel in it?! WTF? id saving that $0.15 a gallon worth it now???? My wife thinks I am an idiot, but at least I am smart enough to pay my dues! Karma is a bitch!

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
I dont know sh!t either, but I am ssorry you had to go through all of this. the only thing I can say that I know for a fact, is that in a diesel tank, water will be at the bottom, so if the farm tank you looked in, and was from the top, you wont see any water floating. So in order to tell if there is water, you have to pump from the bottom of the tank into a clear jar, let it all settle and then you will see if there is any water.

What I dont understand is this, you have a $10,000 enigne, in a truck that goes for over $35,000 and you run illegal fuel in it?! WTF? id saving that $0.15 a gallon worth it now???? My wife thinks I am an idiot, but at least I am smart enough to pay my dues! Karma is a bitch!

Yeah that is what is weird, the tank is gravity feed, so I was looking at what came out of the bottom when I squirted some into the cup.

Yeah the thing is I have run it for about 4 years now, in this truck, and expensive Kubota tractors and a very expensive John Deere bulldozer... this is the first problem. I mean, it is easy to blame it on the illegal fuel, but I just am not seeing why, other than I am a evil evil man for not paying the fuel taxes. Thanks for the reply though!!!!

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
Once again, I am an idiot, but does that Expensive John Deers have a fuel rail that runs 20,000 plus PSI? I rest my case!

These Duramaxes are top of the line.

Once again, I know what you are saying and I totally understand.. But, yeah I just looked up what my dozer has in it and yeah it is a common rail it has the 9.0L deere motor in it... But I don't want to argue anymore about whether or not red diesel is bad... It is just regular diesel that they add a red dye to when they deliver it to my house. Unless the dye is abrasive or something, I don't know. Clearly something happened with this truck, either the filter didn't do it's job or the fuel does have water in it and I am blind or the dye in the diesel fuel somehow also dyes the water that might be in there, so I can't see it. I can't say. All I know is that as soon as I fix it, I am selling it and I am just going to use that diesel in my kubota tractors with old style injection. :thumb:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That sucks that you're having to go through all of this, but that picture is hilarious!

While you're at it, I would definitely recommend you pull the fuel rails and flush them with brake cleaner and blow them out with compressed air. Same with all the high pressure fuel lines. You don't want to ruin one of your new injectors because of some left over trash from whatever went through there already. Good luck with the repair.

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I have run red fuel in my truck alot and had no trouble. Saves alot when its 3.00+ at the pumps and you get it for 1.00 a gallon like said its only died red same fuel as you pump at the pumps. At what pressure did the shop you took your injectors to try to test them at?

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
That sucks that you're having to go through all of this, but that picture is hilarious!

While you're at it, I would definitely recommend you pull the fuel rails and flush them with brake cleaner and blow them out with compressed air. Same with all the high pressure fuel lines. You don't want to ruin one of your new injectors because of some left over trash from whatever went through there already. Good luck with the repair.

Definitely will do that :D You wouldn't happen to have any suggestions for the rest of the system? I thought about just pouring brake clean down each of the low pressure fuel feed and return lines up there by the glow plug box, and follow that with some compressed air..? That should squirt through the lines and into the tank, then I will drop the tank (or lift the bed, I haven't decided which would be easier) and the fuel cooler and do them with brake cleaner and compressed air. Sound pretty decent? Thanks for the words, I hope this fixes it.

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
I have run red fuel in my truck alot and had no trouble. Saves alot when its 3.00+ at the pumps and you get it for 1.00 a gallon like said its only died red same fuel as you pump at the pumps. At what pressure did the shop you took your injectors to try to test them at?

Exact reason I use it! 330-350 Bar is what the meter said on their fancy machine.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Exact reason I use it! 330-350 Bar is what the meter said on their fancy machine.

hmmm thats not even idle fuel rail pressure though. I dont think that Thompon Diesel place is properly setup/equipped to test common rail stuff. :confused:

I would be curious if you sent those injectors to a shop that does common rail stuff and can actually test them at the full range of pressures.

Either way, be sure to clean the rails out COMPLETELY. Take the fittings out of each end and take the rail pressure sensor out too. Also the return lines. Basically, everything that can get unscrewed/taken apart on the high and low side of the fuel lines...should get cleaned thoroughly with brake parts cleaner.

Last edited:

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
hmmm thats not even idle fuel rail pressure though. I dont think that Thompon Diesel place is properly setup/equipped to test common rail stuff. :confused:

I would be curious if you sent those injectors to a shop that does common rail stuff and can actually test them at the full range of pressures.

Either way, be sure to clean the rails out COMPLETELY. Take the fittings out of each end and take the rail pressure sensor out too. Also the return lines. Basically, everything that can get unscrewed/taken apart on the high and low side of the fuel lines...should get cleaned thoroughly with brake parts cleaner.

:confused: Are you serious? If that is really true and your not playing with me for some reason, I will inquire about that tomorrow for sure... That concerns me. I saw them put a 06 Dodge injector on the same machine and it did it's thing.

Alright, I will do that, thanks for the response, this time it was helpful. :thumb:

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
they do not pop off...... you need 48v to activate the solinoid and fire the injector. are you sure that your injection guy knows this...?

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
they do not pop off...... you need 48v to activate the solinoid and fire the injector. are you sure that your injection guy knows this...?

Alright sorry, pardon my ignorance on this. All I know is they tell me they are bad, they showed me that they don't spray when they are on the machine with 350 bar to them. WE heard the solenoid make the noise, but nothing would spray.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Alright sorry, pardon my ignorance on this. All I know is they tell me they are bad, they showed me that they don't spray when they are on the machine with 350 bar to them. WE heard the solenoid make the noise, but nothing would spray.

Get the injectors out of there man you're wasting time

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I'd suggest sending them to Guy @ SoCal Diesel. He know what he's doing with the DMax stiff and can test, clean and adjust them so they are a balanced set. If they check out ok with him and it's not too late to send the other injectors back, you'd save a bundle.

The #4 & #7 was probably either harness rub through or one of the injector connectors (probably #7) needs to be ice picked. Both are common problems with the LLY's and will make the truck run like crap and sound like a tractor.

Like others have said, the likelyhood of all 8 going bad is really low....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.