LLY: All 8 injectors bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
hey i know what goes on with my truck. because i drive it and i know who has touched it.

i am sorry i cant help you with yours but you dont really give anyone much info to work with. does it turn over? drop the fuel tank clean all the fuel lines not sure what you want people on here to tell you.

Alright. I was driving along, and it started losing power... Kept cutting out from having power like normal, then going to where it would not accelerate. When accelerating it sounded like it does above whatever rpm that pilot injection gets turned off, dieseling I guess would be a description of the sound. It turns over, cranks like normal. Here is a video of it right before I pulled the injectors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FP8oJCIliU That is what it was doing right before I decided to pull the injectors out AFTER I had taken it to GM and they had NO CLUE what was wrong, other than the two codes for the 4 and 7 injector.

Well basically just trying to find out what I need to do next, and I think that is pretty clear that I need a second opinion on the injectors. Thompson Diesel is charging me 30 bucks for each, so I guess I will just eat that and have them tested elsewhere. $500 right there for two places to test them, as 30 per injector is the average price around here. You see what I am talking about here? Do I just start throwing parts at this thing???

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
Please find a different shop to test the injectors man, even if you have to ship them somewhere. Have you or have you not replaced the CP3 ??

Ok.. NO I have not replaced the CP3. Is that something I should think about doing? How can I test it? I can put the "bad" injectors back in and hook it all back up if there is some way to test it without pulling it.

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
dude i think you got a cp3 problem but none of us on here can fix it through the screen :thumb: i agree with ben, it is highly unlikely that all of them went out at the same time

Last edited:

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
that sounds like a good plan to me. And also, next time dont fill up with shitty offroad diesel that is half water. :thumb:

btw thanks for the nice PM.

Can't tell if that is sarcasm through a computer screen, but I guess that is what I really am going to have to do.

Uh huh. Man if you just think I am getting on here to waste y'all's extremely valuable time or something, that is a bad assumption. I just want to fix this as cheaply as possible, and I am trying to find out if this has happened to anyone else and the repairs they made.. If money wasn't a concern, I wouldn't bother you all with my apparently stupid fking problems and just dump it off at the dealership.

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
It really would be helpful if you had efilive to scan it with, or have another dealer look at it with a tech II

Ok.. I guess I will try another gm service place. Since I don't have either, I guess I will load it on my semi trailer, and take it to another dealer. I will check back in a few days with their diagnosis and with exactly what the injection shop said caused the injectors to fail and if they really did fail like they said. I appreciate all the sincere, helpful replies.

Last edited:

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
have you pulled a fuel sample? I've had to replace all eight after a customer had tank full of water pumped into a truck. It did start with four bad injectors so if you just had two it still should have started. I didn't have any injector codes when this happened, just a low rail pressure code.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I would throw it all back together and take it to a dealer that does alot of work with Dmax's. Be aware though, that since you had it apart already, they may charge you a little more for diagnosis as there may be contamination or other things that will need to be checked a little more thoroughly than if it had gone straight to them.

My guess is your CP3 or FICM crapped it's pants. There should have been a low rail press code for the CP3 or some other sort of codes if it was the FICM. Obviously, the first dealer you took it to didn't have a clue what they were doing. Might even be worth a call to the local GM rep.

Last edited:

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
if the cp3 went out you would have gotten a p0087 code and truck would have stayed running with very low power still you stopped somewhere and never cranked again

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
have you pulled a fuel sample? I've had to replace all eight after a customer had tank full of water pumped into a truck. It did start with four bad injectors so if you just had two it still should have started. I didn't have any injector codes when this happened, just a low rail pressure code.

No I have not, at first that is just what I assumed, as everyone I talked to said that water was probably the cause. Very interesting. I am waiting until the flooding stops and I can go pick up the injectors and get the explanation of why they say they are failed... I am in OKC, OK and all the roads are flooded.

I would throw it all back together and take it to a dealer that does alot of work with Dmax's. Be aware though, that since you had it apart already, they may charge you a little more for diagnosis as there may be contamination or other things that will need to be checked a little more thoroughly than if it had gone straight to them.

My guess is your CP3 or FICM crapped it's pants. There should have been a low rail press code for the CP3 or some other sort of codes if it was the FICM. Obviously, the first dealer you took it to didn't have a clue what they were doing. Might even be worth a call to the local GM rep.

Ok. SO I definitely need to get the codes checked. That is priority one for me today, I will report back, I appreciate all the assistance.

if the cp3 went out you would have gotten a p0087 code and truck would have stayed running with very low power still you stopped somewhere and never cranked again

Will check codes today or tomorrow. You know that might be what it is, it didn't ever die, I shut it down then it wouldn't fire back up. Did just like in the video I posted earlier. Either way, I need to check the codes, so I will do that today.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
sounds like you got bad connectors on those 2 injectors or possibly there could be a hole rubbed thru on the wiring harness that is strapped to your alternator bracket. Theres lots of info on this particular LLY problem, surprised after 3 pages nobody suggested it :cool2:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
i'm just a dummy, i thought about it, but the water in the fuel issue was something i wanted to see play out. interestingly enough though, my father's lly has had SEVERAL bad tanks of fuel, to the point of it barely running because there was so much water content. i've checked the balance rates since the last tank that i knew of and all were well within spec (all within +-2). no codes ever either.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
i'm just a dummy, i thought about it, but the water in the fuel issue was something i wanted to see play out. interestingly enough though, my father's lly has had SEVERAL bad tanks of fuel, to the point of it barely running because there was so much water content. i've checked the balance rates since the last tank that i knew of and all were well within spec (all within +-2). no codes ever either.

he said he was just guessing that he had bad fuel though, never determined that he did ;)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
he said he was just guessing that he had bad fuel though, never determined that he did ;)

Larry he said in another thread that he found the tank to be 60% diesel and 40% water, Ill see if I can find it.

there are so many inconsistancies with what this guy is telling us; I read his threads on all the different forums and he seems to give different answers in every other thread regarding this problem.

A week or so ago he said the dealer had it all taken apart, no codes, no nothing, etc...

Now hes saying he hasnt even checked for codes?

He also said the dealer replaced the CP3 on the Diesel Place....then above he writes "gee I hope I dont have to replace the CP3, that thing is really buried in there!!"

I am so confused here.

ben

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
there are so many inconsistancies with what this guy is telling us; I read his threads on all the different forums and he seems to give different answers in every other thread regarding this problem.

You aint kidding. I just found the one at DP where he says he replaced an injector, yet here he says he hasn't. GM says it needed 5 per the codes, not 2. And don't forget that it was a 60/40 mix of water and off-road diesel so he can't go after the fuel station since he's not supposed to be running it in it anyways. And to top it all off he's mad at GM because his WIF light didn't alert him, yet if he was using the reccomended filter as per GM it would have shut off once it got that much water in it as the 2 micron filter will not allow water to pass through as water molcules are 8-10 microns in size. Too many details here sound fishy.

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
Y'all are conspiracy theorists, the thing with the different posts is my son was confused about what was going on, he made some assumptions about what the dealer did... ETC. This is my truck, I have been the one posting here. SO if anyone cares, here is what is going on. ALL 8 injectors are bad. They wont even spray. Solenoids work, but no fuel comes out the tips... I watched them test ALL of them for me today, because I didn't believe them when they said all 8 were bad. So they say it could have been water, trash, metal, contaminant etc.. I don't know. I bought 8 new ones. 2800 bucks, and they have a one year warranty. I also had them order a new CP3 because they only want 650 for one, and to test it would be 200 so I said just order one.. Here is a picture of the engine as it sits just so you all don't thing I am playing around or something.
IMG_0266.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.