LLY: All 8 injectors bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
do we really need to explain that to you!?!?! read this thread from start to finish. dunno if we can dumb it done enought for you to UUUNNNNDDDDEEEERRRRSSSTTTAAANNDDD.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
If you where running without a filter, then I'll say you MIGHT have been able to nuke all 8 injectors with a REALLY bad tank of fuel...... MAYBE....... But if you had the stock filter about anything other than water would NOT had passed throuh the filter. Water is inert. It doesn't react to heat or compression like fuels. Many people have made the mistake of filling up with GAS and been fine after a drain and flush. Yes, water would kill the motor (kill as in stop running once water got to the injectors), but once flushed and refilled with clean fuel, the water would be gone and problem resolved.... Granted, water is bad for a motor, a HPCR diesel in particular, but ONE tank is not going to kill the entire fuel system.

If you're this whiney with a rather rare (and most likely self inflicted) problem with a duramax, I'd HATE to see what you'd be like if this was a 6.0 Powerstroke (which, BTW, since you're most likely clueless, has a FAR worse track record than even the "injector problem" plagued LB7 Duramax)..... Go away or you might be shown the door......

Last edited:

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
If you where running without a filter, then I'll say you MIGHT have been able to nuke all 8 injectors with a REALLY bad tank of fuel...... MAYBE....... But if you had the stock filter about anything other than water would NOT had passed throuh the filter. Water is inert. It doesn't react to heat or compression like fuels. Many people have made the mistake of filling up with GAS and been fine after a drain and flush. Yes, water would kill the motor (kill as in stop running once water got to the injectors), but once flushed and refilled with clean fuel, the water would be gone and problem resolved.... Granted, water is bad for a motor, a HPCR diesel in particular, but ONE tank is not going to kill the entire fuel system.

If you're this whiney with a rather rare (and most likely self inflicted) problem with a duramax, I'd HATE to see what you'd be like if this was a 6.0 Powerstroke (which, BTW, since you're most likely clueless, has a FAR worse track record than even the "injector problem" plagued LB7 Duramax)..... Go away or you might be shown the door......

Well I am glad you have it all figured out. Maybe that 350 bar to the injectors on the machine was fake then, and the injector was just taking a nap or something when it was supposed to spray after the solenoid was actuated.

Self inflicted???? Enlighten me please. And I owned a 03 F250 with the 6.0, and I had a TON of problems, I got rid of it at 99,000 miles!!!!

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
do we really need to explain that to you!?!?! read this thread from start to finish. dunno if we can dumb it done enought for you to UUUNNNNDDDDEEEERRRRSSSTTTAAANNDDD.

This is my thread I read every single post!! Basically you all were up in arms because I didn't have an EFI Live. That was the main thing right? Then I junked it, that was wrong. Oh then I forgot to tighten that plug, another wrong. What else? Thought of one more... injectors can't go bad on a lly, I must be lying or the biggest diesel injection shop in oklahoma is a hack company and forged the injector test session.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
This is my thread I read every single post!! Basically you all were up in arms because I didn't have an EFI Live. That was the main thing right? Then I junked it, that was wrong. Oh then I forgot to tighten that plug, another wrong. What else?

nope, but keep guessin! sucks you made this thread and dont even have a clue how you screwed up so bad.

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
nope, but keep guessin! sucks you made this thread and dont even have a clue how you screwed up so bad.

Alright, I will keep throwing some mistakes out. I was wrong because I didn't give the truck to one of you duramax enthusiasts? Because I don't deserve to own it because I am so clueless? I did everything I could do with what I had, I pulled the glow plugs out when it was white smoking and checked compression, couldn't find any published specs to determine whether or not my readings were too low for this motor. Or I didn't take it to the GM dealer first? That is wrong if you think that because I did and they didn't have a clue. Or because the number 8 piston melted I screwed up?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
This is my thread I read every single post!! Basically you all were up in arms because I didn't have an EFI Live. That was the main thing right? Then I junked it, that was wrong. Oh then I forgot to tighten that plug, another wrong. What else? Thought of one more... injectors can't go bad on a lly, I must be lying or the biggest diesel injection shop in oklahoma is a hack company and forged the injector test session.

No, they can........... but all 8 at once? Go buy a crapload of lotto tickets.:rolleyes:

What you should have done, if you suspectd a bad tank of fuel, is drop the tank, empty it, flush the supply line between the motor and tank (return wouldn't hurt), change the filter, fill it with known good fuel, and go from there (If you DID have water thoughout the system, it would have taken some extra cranking, but it would have purged the water if you purged the rest of the system and replaced and primed the filter)... NOT remove parts. If, in the unlikely event you STILL had issues, find someone with a tech2, efilive, or even ricerzone to pull codes. The two main problems with the LLY's are the harness rub above the EGR valve/intake and #2 & #7 injector harness/plug issue, both of which are SIMPLE fixes. Since you said that codes indicated #7, I'd say you probably had the known connector issue that can be fixed with an icepick or awl.

Anyway, this whole thread (well, your posts) has been monkies F'n footballs, so whatever.

Last edited:

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
No, they can........... but all 8 at once? Go buy a crapload of lotto tickets.:rolleyes:

I don't know, at the injection shop they said they see it occasionally on these motors. Mostly on the cummins 03 -05 motors, but they have seen a ton of 01-04 duramax and very few 05, but they said it can happen with the tight tolerances inside the injector. I don't know, I didn't pee in the tank or anything, they just broke. I was on my way to the bar one afternoon/evening like I said earlier and it just started running like crap then died. I didn't beat on it or anything. Believe it or not, probably you don't but whatever it happened whether you believe it or not. All 8 were bad.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Alright, I will keep throwing some mistakes out. I was wrong because I didn't give the truck to one of you duramax enthusiasts? Because I don't deserve to own it because I am so clueless? I did everything I could do with what I had, I pulled the glow plugs out when it was white smoking and checked compression, couldn't find any published specs to determine whether or not my readings were too low for this motor. Or I didn't take it to the GM dealer first? That is wrong if you think that because I did and they didn't have a clue. Or because the number 8 piston melted I screwed up?

keep tryin. your just makin yourself look more and more like a fool

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010

What you should have done, if you suspectd a bad tank of fuel, is drop the tank, empty it, flush the supply line between the motor and tank (return wouldn't hurt), change the filter, fill it with known good fuel, and go from there (If you DID have water thoughout the system, it would have taken some extra cranking, but it would have purged the water if you purged the rest of the system and replaced and primed the filter)... NOT remove parts. If, in the unlikely event you STILL had issues, find someone with a tech2, efilive, or even ricerzone to pull codes. The two main problems with the LLY's are the harness rub above the EGR valve/intake and #2 & #7 injector harness/plug issue, both of which are SIMPLE fixes. Since you said that codes indicated #7, I'd say you probably had the known connector issue that can be fixed with an icepick or awl.

Anyway, this whole thread (well, your posts) has been monkies F'n footballs, so whatever.

You seem to be skirting the whole issue of all 8 injectors testing bad immediately after it started running rough then died and i took them out for testing. There is nothing wrong with the harness or the connector, it ran fine after I got it started except for the white smoke. You can hear it in that video i posted. Well I did suspect bad fuel, but my diesel buddy said the injectors were probably bad.. So I acted on that advice and had them tested. Sure enough, they were all bad.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So your sayin all 8 of your new injectors shit the bed or are we still talkin about the old ones?

Last edited:

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010

It sure took a turn for the worse after I told you all I had sold it to a scrap yard for what I thought was a fair price. It was fine up until that point, then I got a lot of flack, which I understand. From the outside looking in I can see how it might sound slightly misguided. Now I wish I would have left it there, it has a bad motor now with internal damage. I have gone over this whole thread, and most of the problem lies with me not having a scanner tool and then updating the thread about me selling the truck to jim at salvage city, that sure didn't help opinion of me. Oh well, can't please them all.

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
So your sayin all 8 of your new injectors shit the bed or are we still talkin about the old ones?

Sorry about the confusion...... I was talking about the old ones.... These new ones, I don't know yet, the truck is at the dealer. What I do know is that number 8 of the new set is open all the time.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Sorry about the confusion...... I was talking about the old ones.... These new ones, I don't know yet, the truck is at the dealer. What I do know is that number 8 of the new set is open all the time.

Well there's your problem which goes right back to the start of this thread - improper diagnosing.

IF you had a tech 2, efi live and someone competent to use either, you could have easily checked codes, done diagnostic tests of the fuel system that would have given a better idea of where to start looking instead of just throwing parts at it.

After you threw injectors at it, and other stuff, you had smoke. But again, instead of properly diagnosing and taking the time to check it out, it got hot rodded instead, and now has a bunged up hole. You should of had the balance rates checked with a tech 2 or efi as soon as you noticed the problem and checked compression.

My guess is the #8 issue was there before you started changing the injectors, but it is possible that it happened after. Either way, just driving it is never the answer. That never fixes anything.......

You say number 8 injector is stuck open-this is one of the new ones? You had them all tested again?

Last edited:

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
Well there's your problem which goes right back to the start of this thread - improper diagnosing.

Yes.

IF you had a tech 2, efi live and someone competent to use either, you could have easily checked codes, done diagnostic tests of the fuel system that would have given a better idea of where to start looking instead of just throwing parts at it.

Correct. Now, it is at the dealership where proper electronically aided diagnosis will take place.

After you threw injectors at it, and other stuff, you had smoke. But again, instead of properly diagnosing and taking the time to check it out, you hot rodded it, and now have a bunged up hole. You should of had the balance rates checked with a tech 2 or efi as soon as you noticed the problem and checked compression.

I did not check the balance rates, no. But I did check compression, that is on an earlier page of this very thread. I saw no significant variance between any two adjacent cylinders that would have indicated a blown head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block. All 8 had adequate compression in my opinion. The numbers are listed on a page in this thread somewhere.

My guess is the #8 issue was there before you started changing the injectors, but it is possible that it happened after. Either way, just driving it is never the answer. That never fixes anything.......

You are right, the issue could have been there before the truck died the first time. But I had absolutely no indication of a problem prior to it breaking down on me on my way to the bar that day. It ran great, and sounded great. And after I replaced all 8 injectors and the pump, it sounded great. Not to mention all 8 cylinders had adequate compression.

You say number 8 injector is stuck open-this is one of the new ones? You had them all tested again?

Yes, number 8 is one of the new injectors. I know that it is stuck open because when the tech at the dealership removed the number 8 glow plug, raw fuel was present. That along with the nearly 0 compression found in that cylinder, early diagnosis is indicating a damaged piston or rings.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Yes, number 8 is one of the new injectors. I know that it is stuck open because when the tech at the dealership removed the number 8 glow plug, raw fuel was present. That along with the nearly 0 compression found in that cylinder, early diagnosis is indicating a damaged piston or rings.

I missed the comp test somwhere in the previous 200+ posts!:D

Question is was it contamination from the installation/servicing of the fuel system that caused the injector to hang or just a fouled injector right from bosch? I think one is just as likely as the other here.........Either way, it should have been checked to rule injectors out-not driven!!! May have saved an engine.

And don't kid yourself-a CR Cummins or Ford HEUI system can give you the same or even more grief if you went about diagnosing a similar problem with them and repaired them the same way you did with this dmax. Remember, these ain't no mechanical injection engines which are far more forgiving. You can't see 2 microns-and thats what your fuel filters filter contaminants down to!! The CR fuel system needs to be worked on with surgical theater cleanliness!!!

Last edited:

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
I missed the comp test somwhere in the previous 200+ posts!:D

Question is was it contamination from the installation/servicing of the fuel system that caused the injector to hang or just a fouled injector right from bosch? I think one is just as likely as the other here.........Either way, it should have been checked to rule injectors out-not driven!!!

There is no telling... I have a very clean shop, and I really do take care to do a good job, despite whatever may have come across over the internet/keyboard. I don't know. It ran great after the smoke cleared up, then apparently the injector hung up out of the blue and did some damage, now it needs one holed.

Status
Not open for further replies.