AirDog and Cat 1R0751 2 micron absolute filter

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Not Duramax related, but it relates to the Cat 1R0751 filter. Assuming everything is the same on an AirDog for a Duramax and a Power Stroke, what would cause the filter to sieze up on the threads of the pickup tube? I swapped my AirDog filter with a 1R0751 Cat filter. Spun the filter up and it was making contact with the bracket and leaking a little when I primed it, so I went to take it off and it would not budge! It wouldn't come off, so I finally muscled up on it and got it off. But it spun the pickup straw out of the bottom of the pump base. I cant even get it out of the filter. Any ideas on what happened assuming the AirDogs are the same between the Duramax and PSD's?

photo9.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure that's the right filter? What AD and filter number did you use? Should be no reason a straight thread be that tight in the filter

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Has anyone experienced problems after removing the aeration tabs on the pump base?

Any info on an adapter made for this setup?

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
No problems here, and I've got cat filters on 3 air dogs

Bella 01 rclb -dd tow rig
Llyod 04.5 rclb- puller/play truck

teaks

Feb 23, 2013
SW-MO
coker6303, KCCO! :thumb:

What's the change interval for the cat on ad2? I'm getting ready to order mine. Already run the adapter option.

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Stock airdog filter I've heard 30k miles. With the cat filter being larger id imagine you could stick with that 30k number and be plenty safe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sarg

Jun 9, 2013
Great stuff here guys and hopefully I am not digging up too old a thread on my first post here, but I did not see if anyone had tried the Donaldson P553203 on their AD2. Looks like this is a 2 micron filter and even has a clear bowl that can be installed on the bottom to drain water out. Any thoughts?

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Great stuff here guys and hopefully I am not digging up too old a thread on my first post here, but I did not see if anyone had tried the Donaldson P553203 on their AD2. Looks like this is a 2 micron filter and even has a clear bowl that can be installed on the bottom to drain water out. Any thoughts?

At what efficiency? 2 micron nominal most likely, which isn't as good as the cat filter.

Tried looking for a cat water separator to fit on the AD but never had any luck.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
P553203 is 99% @ 3 micron. I currently run this. I'll be modifying mine before it goes on so I can throw a cat on after the AD filter needs changing.

I'll be installing an AD2 in a couple weeks, and was wondering, does a person need to have 2-3 micron filtration at both the AD and the filter head? Or would it be ok to put a 10 micron or similar at the filter head? Thought I read about this somewhere but couldn't figure out where I had seen it. :confused:

02Dmaxdually

May 16, 2011
Havelock, NC
I'm running a P553203 on a filter head on the frame rail and a CAT filter on the actually filter head. No problems yet. (I also have a raptor 150 because I had the filter setup before I put a lift pump on and couldn't justify spending the extra for the airdog)

capitan828

Aug 15, 2013
has anyone tried the new Ultra High Efficiency Cat filter 364-5287 in place of the Advanced Efficiency Cat 1R-0751?

I'm about to spring for an AD-200 and wondering if their are any fitment issues with the new CAT UHE filter and the Air Dog...

here is a pic of the new filter posted on another forum

IMG_0354.jpg

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?21-Duramax-Filter-Guide&p=401137#post401137

according the the cat website. the ultra high efficiency filter has a SYNTHETIC media BUT from what iv been reading it has a 4 micron rating. here is a copy and paste from the cat website.

PART NUMBER:364-5287
Efficiency Rating: Ultra High Efficiency
Primary vs Secondary: Secondary
Installation Type: Spin-on
Diameter / Length (MM): 85.9
Height (MM): 179.5, 179.5
Thread Size (Inch): 7, 8 - 14 - 2B
Media Type: Synthetic
Capacity: 45
Micron Rating: 4.00
Diameter (MM): 85.9

here is another copy and paste for the advanced efficiency filter

PART NUMBER:1R-0751
Efficiency Rating: Advanced Efficiency
Primary vs Secondary: Secondary
Installation Type: Spin-on
Diameter / Length (MM): 85.7
Height (MM): 181.5, 181.5
Thread Size (Inch): 7, 8 - 14 - 2B
Media Type: Cellulose
Micron Rating: 4.20, 4.2
Capacity: 23
Diameter (MM): 85.7, 85.7

according to this it looks like the ultra is better, but from what i've read from the filter brochures that cat publishes on the two different kind of filters (ultra high efficiency vs advanced efficiency) the advanced efficiency filter is 2 micron vs. 4 micron on the ultra.

they also have ultra high efficiency fuel water separators

i sure would like to know which is really better. :confused:
what do you guys think???

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
From what I have read and seen in the real world just stick with 1R-0751. It does the job fine.
If you can, put a water separator inline before it to get rid of the water.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Has anyone to date had an issue getting there AD2 warrantied (because of a normal failure) after modifying or removing the tabs?

Would the mod to put on the CAT 1R-0751 void the warranty?