JoshH EfiLive tuning
554hp 1014ft-lbs 7/30/11

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So I drained the water separator today for the first time since I've had my AirDog. It's been on for about 7500 miles, and I didn't really get much out. Maybe I was concerned about nothing. I did a little research and found that Baldwin makes a water separator that is a direct replacement for the AirDog separator and is a significant upgrade. I may just do that and replace the AirDog and stock filters with Cat filters. Here's a picture of the little bit of water I drained. It's either all getting past the separator, or I just don't get much water in my tank.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0010 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0010 (Copy).JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 414

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
The Baldwin filter you are talking about is a direct swap on the airdog? Is like to do that if so.

I drain my separator every couple of weeks. The amount I get out depends on where I fill up I guess because sometimes its a lot, others it is very little. I'm sure the steel tank in my bed sweats enough to add a little too.

-----------------------
08 LMM Chevy CCSB 4x4
trans by Relentless Diesel
EFILive tuned by JoshH
554 hp 1014 ft-lbs 7/31/11

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
I know Baldwin makes one the same size and threads as the ad2 water separator. Can't find or remember the pn for the life of me though. I did see it side by side in the Baldwin lab doing impulse testing vs the ad2 water separator. Never did see the test results though.

I do know that Baldwin has tested their bf7531 against the ad2 fuel filter with positive results. Its a step up from the ad filter both in efficiency and capacity, but nowhere near as good as the CAT filter. It is however a direct fit and the same dimensions as the ad filter.

I'm an industrial engineer for Baldwin filters :D just thought I'd mention that before people flame me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I know Baldwin makes one the same size and threads as the ad2 water separator. Can't find or remember the pn for the life of me though. I did see it side by side in the Baldwin lab doing impulse testing vs the ad2 water separator. Never did see the test results though.

I do know that Baldwin has tested their bf7531 against the ad2 fuel filter with positive results. Its a step up from the ad filter both in efficiency and capacity, but nowhere near as good as the CAT filter. It is however a direct fit and the same dimensions as the ad filter.

I'm an industrial engineer for Baldwin filters :D just thought I'd mention that before people flame me.

Can we request a duramaxdiesels custom filters?? Lol

Thanks for the info, is like to know the water separator part number if anyone has it

-----------------------
08 LMM Chevy CCSB 4x4
trans by Relentless Diesel
EFILive tuned by JoshH
554 hp 1014 ft-lbs 7/31/11

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
If the Baldwin water separator is anything like the replacement fuel filter it will not fit do to the dia. of the filter being alot bigger.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The WS I was referring to is the Baldwin BF1275. I've done some checking, and no one mentions having to do anything to make it fit.

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
ok. I wasnt for sure. I know that the baldwin fuel filter has a bigger dia. than the cat fuel filter.

Depends what Baldwin # you're running. "The" Baldwin filter is not very specific. Like I said, if you want a direct replacement the bf7531 will do it.

The Baldwin cross for the 1r0751 is exactly the same dimensionally. So if it doesn't fit on your pump, the cat filter wont either.

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Bf7632 is the right cross for the cat 1r0751. The number I gave is for a direct replacement to the ad2 fuel filter, the cat 1r0751 and Baldwin bf7632 are "will fit" filters, although better than the original filter.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Late to read but I was going pulled a cat filter out that acrobat on the avatar pic or what the heck here. That's a big filter!!!!!!!!!!!

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Should be same or better than the cat filter. Baldwin doesn't list "will fit" filters as cross references, only ones that are the same dimensionally and same in performance as the OEM (CAT in this case) filter.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Should be same or better than the cat filter. Baldwin doesn't list "will fit" filters as cross references, only ones that are the same dimensionally and same in performance as the OEM (CAT in this case) filter.

I will bet it is not a 2 Micron absolute. Probably 3 nominal, ill see if I can look it up

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
We all need to remember that assuming is no way to get an answer.

I called Baldwin technical, the BF7632 is a 5 micron Absolute (98.75% per rep) while the Cat 1R0751 (7/8 thread) and 1R0749 (1" thread) are both 2 micron absolute (99.8 per documentation).

No reason not to buy the Cat filter unless you just can't get to a dealer. Even then, i'm sure you could buy it online somewhere or through one of the guys on here.

It would really do justice if you could see the cutaways of the different fuel filters comparing Wix, Donaldson, Baldwin, etc. because they are not apples to apples. As discussed, companies like Donaldson may manufacture some of the Cat filter models but they are made to completely different (higher) standards and specs.

Please don't skimp on your filtration! saving a couple $'s on a filter is not worth the price of injector repair and downtime down the road! Do it right the first time and be done.

Same thing with engine oil filters. Don't go cheap! You could have the best oil in the world in your engine but it will still fail if the filter can't do its job at containing contaminants. The oil filter is more important than the oil choice itself!

Filtration, filtration, filtration!! :thumb:

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
In this case, yeah the Cat filter is a "little" bit better. You'd be surprised how many filters Baldwin makes for Cat. In most cases they're the exact same media, same pleat height, same pleat count, same endcaps, same potting material, everything. Just different paint. On any given day I can walk out to our heavy duty spin on lines and watch whats being made. We make a TON of filters for Cat, even though they supposedly contract all their filters out to Donaldson. A good majority of the filters that Baldwin makes for Cat use the exact same media in the Baldwin filter as they do in the Cat.

I'd guess that this obviously isn't one of those cases. This Cat filter is probably made by Donaldson, like the majority of their fuel filters are. I know Baldwin makes a lot of water separators for Cat since they have a patent on an all metal drain petcock that's head and shoulders above most others.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Some are sub'd out. Could be retro series for dated machines, air filters, oil, etc but cat does not make all of their filters in house.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
I'm pretty damn close to sure their 2 micron absolute fuel filters are made in Peoria.

If you ever talk to any cat people there VERY proud of their filters, I tend to agree they are very well made. Plus they are quite reasonably priced.