AirDog and Cat 1R0751 2 micron absolute filter

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
Just figured there was no point in running it through a filter of lesser filtration capability which isnt really helping and just impeding flow (may be wrong here?), along with getting away from buying factory filters, and to clean up the engine bay a little.... Just my thought or am I way off track?
Put a nicktane on then you can run CAT filters in the factory position. Double the filters are always better then 1.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
Remember, even a single filter can pass junk. And if you get a bad batch of fuel would 1 filter be better then 2?

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
then when the stock filter head keeps bleeding down you will eventually get tired of it and delete it anyways..filters are cheap just replace every oil change and you will be good..they say replace factory every other oil change so replacing a cat one every change doubles that..

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
No need for 2 filters if you keep them changed and use a quality element like the cat filter. That's a silly excuse.

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
Silly is pulling 500 miles from home and getting a bad batch of fuel and not trashing the injectors or cp3
But the truck stop paid for cleaning my tank and we slept in the camper on their yard while they pulled the tank and flushed all the lines. They even thru in 4 Cat's for my AD and the nicktane.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
stock filter is 8 micron, CAT or Airdog is 2 micron, by the time it goes through a 2 micron filter, the 8 micron filter has nothing to filter..delete the stock junk and run an AirDog or Cat filter

This is true, except then you have no protection for anything that may come off the inside of the hoses/piping after the last filter.
Myself, I would run the 2 micron as close to the engine as possible and run the 8 or whatever you want at the lift pump. Stock GM filter is 2 micron.

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
This is true, except then you have no protection for anything that may come off the inside of the hoses/piping after the last filter.
Myself, I would run the 2 micron as close to the engine as possible and run the 8 or whatever you want at the lift pump. Stock GM filter is 2 micron.

Now you got me questioning whether I should take it off... what may come off of the hoses on the inside though? If there fuel rated line they shouldn't degrade or anything like that correct? Just seems like a 50/50 shot of people who say take off and who say leave on lol

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Over time the hoses start to deteriorate and can start coming apart inside. Several have experienced this to the point where they couldn't even hold rail with a lift pump because pieces were coming off like a flap sort of restricting flow. Plus depending on how many years you ran without filters between the tank and your stock filter and the quality of the fuel you run, a build up like a scale can happen that over time which starts to come off over time. I've seen it inside of the hard lines on my own truck.

My point is that in a common rail fuel system, cleanliness is key. Many claim they have never had a problem so it's ok, but you are rolling the dice. There is a reason EVERY diesel has the filter close to the engine.

They way I see it, as long as at the CP3 you see a good positive pressure from the lift pump and at your max PW rail pressure also holds then run the filter. Even if you need 20psi at the pump to get 10psi at the cp3.

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
And this solves what?
Im guesing his thought is it is new uncontaminated line with no build up that wont deteriorate for several years since its all new... could be wrong though but thats what I was thinking of doing.... now im on the fence :confused: might just get the nicktane adapter and run two 2 micron filters.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
I spent the money on the nicktane filter adapter, then spent the money on a filter housing repair kit and still had the housing leak.

I've put 100k on my truck with the factory filter deleted and haven't had any issues.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Hose doesn't last forever and is far more susceptible to deterioration than hard lines. And the build up happens inside the hoses as well. Not just the hard lines. If anything, I would suggest cleaning or replacing the hard lines with larger ones.

Also hose itself still doesn't filter any dirt or contaminants that can still come off from inside the new lines or from changing the dirty under the truck filter where it is more likely to be caked in mud and dirt than the one in the engine bay.

In a race or sled pulling application, I would say go for it. You don't go through near as much fuel as a DD and dirty fuel is the least of your worries. On a DD, not a chance. You have to remember it's not usually an immediate all of a sudden problem that contamination usually causes, but excessive and premature wear over time.

Speaking from experience here. You guys do what you want though.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
stock filter is 8 micron, CAT or Airdog is 2 micron, by the time it goes through a 2 micron filter, the 8 micron filter has nothing to filter..delete the stock junk and run an AirDog or Cat filter

The stock filter Acdelco, Racor/Parker is 4 micron, the CAT UHE (ultra high efficiency) see the link below page 11 for the CAT at <4 micron and not as great as some may think, maybe just the cost...

http://albahar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/SEBU9208-00.pdf

Last edited:

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX