AirDog and Cat 1R0751 2 micron absolute filter

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm considering getting one of those Cat filter adapters for the stock fuel filter head. It uses a 1R-0750 for the filter, but I'd like to have something to catch any water that might make it past the Air Dog filters. Just in case. I don't know if they make anything that is 2 micron and separates water that will fit. I guess I'll have to do some research.

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
So just to clear things up for me, grind the tabs off the pump holder but take out the little tab that is on the inside of the filter when it's on? what exactly does it do and will it make the system not perform as well?

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
So just to clear things up for me, grind the tabs off the pump holder but take out the little tab that is on the inside of the filter when it's on? what exactly does it do and will it make the system not perform as well?

Yes, you are correct on what to do. How much you have to grind on the mount can vary. Screw the filter up and check the clearance.

But be sure to keep the working area clean!! The shavings will deystroy your injection system.

As far as the little tabs inside the filter seal on the base, 1low mentioned they have a purpose (I think it has to do with aeration. Effects are minimal if any.

I drain my water seperator every 2 weeks but I run through a lot of fuel. Usually has quite a bit of water build up, probably from my steel 40gal aux tank and the humidity in Houston making it sweat bad.

sent via tapatalk by your forum daddy!!!

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm considering getting one of those Cat filter adapters for the stock fuel filter head. It uses a 1R-0750 for the filter, but I'd like to have something to catch any water that might make it past the Air Dog filters. Just in case. I don't know if they make anything that is 2 micron and separates water that will fit. I guess I'll have to do some research.

That adapter is awesome!

I'm not sure which cat filters are water seperators too but i don't think any are going to be low Micron with the water seperation feature. I'll research what I can.

You have moisture problems or just wanting to keep the system as pure as possible?

chaser

crazyasscracker
May 25, 2011
dallas, texas
im thinking about doing this mod also along with deleting the stock filter housing. im trying to find a clear line to make the loop that way I can see if there is any effect with air seperation on removing those tabs on the airdog. wish I could find the clear line they used on the airdog demonstration stand cuz I can't find anything online yet.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
im thinking about doing this mod also along with deleting the stock filter housing. im trying to find a clear line to make the loop that way I can see if there is any effect with air seperation on removing those tabs on the airdog. wish I could find the clear line they used on the airdog demonstration stand cuz I can't find anything online yet.

They have a clear pvc hose at any parts or hardware store but it will fog up from the diesel after a little use.

Wouldn't hurt for testing, but the fuel up there doesn't move much unless your wot. You really need a closed loop to simulate high flow to see the true effects.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That adapter is awesome!

I'm not sure which cat filters are water seperators too but i don't think any are going to be low Micron with the water seperation feature. I'll research what I can.

You have moisture problems or just wanting to keep the system as pure as possible?

I've never had a water contamination problem, and I want to make sure I keep it that way. ;)

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
I've already talked to someone about making an adapter for these to eleminate modifying anything..just screw the adapter on then the CAT filter, just like on the stock filter housing but with the AD threads..

Yes, you are correct on what to do. How much you have to grind on the mount can vary. Screw the filter up and check the clearance.
But be sure to keep the working area clean!! The shavings will deystroy your injection system.
As far as the little tabs inside the filter seal on the base, 1low mentioned they have a purpose (I think it has to do with aeration. Effects are minimal if any.
I drain my water seperator every 2 weeks but I run through a lot of fuel. Usually has quite a bit of water build up, probably from my steel 40gal aux tank and the humidity in Houston making it sweat bad.

I drain mine from time to time but I get little water and the fuel will just keep coming, wish there was a way to shut off the fuel so I can take it off..I wouldnt get any shavings in the system, it doesn't take too long for me to just take the pump off and cut the two outside tabs, I put a low pressure sensor in and had it off and back on in like 5 min..

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
josh, did a little research and came up with the 1R-0770 being a radial fuel water seperator from cat with a 98% efficiency at 10micron but it has a 1"-14 thread which puts it with he same mount as the 1R0749 2 micron filter. Quite a bit larger than the airdog...

here are a few good pics and the dimensional information too:

http://coralparts.en.alibaba.com/pr..._filter_FS19820_Donaldson_filter_P550626.html

i'm still digging!! i'll let you know what else I find.

catfuelfilterwaterseperator.png

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I was thinking, maybe it would be better to run the 10 micron water separator in place of the Air Dog filter (the one you replaced) and just run the 1R-0750 on the stock filter head. That would for sure catch all the water and give me the best filtering right before the fuel goes into the CP3. What do you think?

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I was thinking, maybe it would be better to run the 10 micron water separator in place of the Air Dog filter (the one you replaced) and just run the 1R-0750 on the stock filter head. That would for sure catch all the water and give me the best filtering right before the fuel goes into the CP3. What do you think?

I think that would be awesome!! definitely have plenty of filtration!

you may run into more of a psi/flow drop, you have a gauge just before the cp3?

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
so far I can only find the 1R0770 and 1R0771 water separators from CAT and it looks like the numbers have been updated. All of them have 1"-14 threads

advanced efficiency
326-1643

ultra high efficiency
364-5286

and another number 326-1644 but I think its one of the above filters. I'll dig some more next week and try to stop by the dealer.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think that would be awesome!! definitely have plenty of filtration!

you may run into more of a psi/flow drop, you have a gauge just before the cp3?

Yep, I have a gauge with the sending unit installed in the bleed screw port. It holds around 13 psi cruising and drops to about 7-8 at full throttle.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX