LBZ: Trans kit

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Be sure to buy new bearings. They're around $60 for the set and cheap insurance. I'd hate to see something that cheap take out a trans.

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
Not trying to stir the pot here either. I use this form to learn all about the Duramax options both stock/aftermarket mods. I am not trying to slander the company your work for or take anything way from them Andrew. I have just seen first hand the set of instructions for both a PPE kit, and Suncoast for clearances, explanation of what to call each individual piece with in the kit etc. If I was in this gentlemen's shoes for the guy wanting to build his own kit the PPE will be less head ache and worry. If he would like to pay someone to build it then go with a Suncoast.

I didn't think nor did I take it as you were trying to stir anything/slander whatever. I understand what you are saying and agree with you that our instructions need help. Instructions are only the first part of the equation, second is the quality of the product and the end state would be support given with said product.

If I didn't work here at SC, Mike L would be my only choice other than SunCoast for any trans related questions/info/parts suggestions because he is able to fulfill all portions of the spectrum ( as we are) on spot with instructions/quality product and tech support after the sale and He's a transmission guy.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Get the suncoast kit, PPE doesn't have anyone you can talk to if you have a problem and suncoast guys are super helpful and Im sure Mike gets tired of guys calling and picking his brain when they don't buy parts from him. I really wish he would put a kit together....

Have you ever given Mr. Dan Grant a ring sir? I would like to see mike bring a kit to the table to offer as an option as well. For years I have heard that he was going to have one, but I don't know the direction he has gone with it.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
I didn't think nor did I take it as you were trying to stir anything/slander whatever. I understand what you are saying and agree with you that our instructions need help. Instructions are only the first part of the equation, second is the quality of the product and the end state would be support given with said product.

If I didn't work here at SC, Mike L would be my only choice other than SunCoast for any trans related questions/info/parts suggestions because he is able to fulfill all portions of the spectrum ( as we are) on spot with instructions/quality product and tech support after the sale and He's a transmission guy.

I agree with you 100% Andrew. Just wanted to let it be known I was not trying to put a company down, as I have watched numerous threads like this turn from good info to drama filled battles. I don't seem to hear much about George from big dipper anymore. Is that a topic anyone cares top shed some light on?

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
I agree with you 100% Andrew. Just wanted to let it be known I was not trying to put a company down, as I have watched numerous threads like this turn from good info to drama filled battles. I don't seem to hear much about George from big dipper anymore. Is that a topic anyone cares top shed some light on?

As far as I know he is still building transmissions. However, there are other really good options for builders in that portion of the country as well

Jakemax04

Jun 28, 2013
If you can remove and replace parts, you can install the kit. Just gotta get the clearances

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Have you ever given Mr. Dan Grant a ring sir? I would like to see mike bring a kit to the table to offer as an option as well. For years I have heard that he was going to have one, but I don't know the direction he has gone with it.

The only person I ever talked to was Rick and between his accent and total lack of knowledge he was no help at all.

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
My personal experience with ppe is you call for tech support and they just tell you to call mike l. When I refreshed my trans last fall, I went with suncoast. It felt good being able to call up George, talk about the clearances I had and what he wanted them to be. He even offered to next day the new steels I needed at his cost. Idk how it gets better than that.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
The only person I ever talked to was Rick and between his accent and total lack of knowledge he was no help at all.

Any idea what department Rick was in? I also can't stand when I have a hard time understanding someone's speech. So if I had to deal with somebodies knowledge on a product, and even their communication skills. I see exactly where your coming from sir. Also does George sell a kit that is comparable price wise to a PPE, Suncoast, if so general price on a 5 speed with converter?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Any idea what department Rick was in? I also can't stand when I have a hard time understanding someone's speech. So if I had to deal with somebodies knowledge on a product, and even their communication skills. I see exactly where your coming from sir. Also does George sell a kit that is comparable price wise to a PPE, Suncoast, if so general price on a 5 speed with converter?

What George are you talking about?

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Thanks for all the info guys. Im gonna get ahold of suncoast and see what i can come up with. :thumb:

Jakemax04

Jun 28, 2013
My personal experience with ppe is you call for tech support and they just tell you to call mike l. When I refreshed my trans last fall, I went with suncoast. It felt good being able to call up George, talk about the clearances I had and what he wanted them to be. He even offered to next day the new steels I needed at his cost. Idk how it gets better than that.

Same experience here, I couldn't get a clearance cause of my billet shafts and he overnighted a new top plate to me at no cost. He also shipped me a valve I needed for free.

BIG DIPPER

Nov 6, 2006
Get the suncoast kit, PPE doesn't have anyone you can talk to if you have a problem and suncoast guys are super helpful and Im sure Mike gets tired of guys calling and picking his brain when they don't buy parts from him. I really wish he would put a kit together....
He's not the only one that gets tired of the calls about the installs, but he does answer as he is the owner and doesn't do the building so it is easier for people to call him as opposed to someone who only answers the phone and then has to go get the guy that knows what they are talking about or taking a message.

Be sure to buy new bearings. They're around $60 for the set and cheap insurance. I'd hate to see something that cheap take out a trans.
I remember refering people to do the same thing years ago on high mileage trucks and guys made a big deal about how they inspected them. Really??? It's apart and on the bench, why take the chance? Also makes the difference of buying a complete kit and not just a mass produced kit that is thrown together by yet again someone who knows nothing about a build.

I'm pretty sure there are some other "transmission guys" as you refer to, but I'll finish my response after your next quote.....

I'm still here and plenty steadier than ever. I would answer more questions on here but the drama and argueing was something I can easily be without.

As far as I know he is still building transmissions. However, there are other really good options for builders in that portion of the country as well
Here I can finish, as far as you know??....you answered the phone just Thursday to get John. As he is a more valued asset when calling as he gets the info and time frame of stuff I need. Now here you say there are "really good options for builders in that portion of the country as well"....I'm torn from your last quote. So you send them to good options, but above you said it would only be Mike. I get pretty tired of handling the calls from the people who think they can build transmissions as well as just an every day guy that is trying it the first time. The last thing I want to do is get on here and read how great "XXX" just did building my trans and how great a builder he is knowing I just got off the phone with him and helping him with an issue he had. You would be surprised with all the internet transmission heroes, who some of those calls have been from. Trouble shooting the work from these good options, as you refer to them, is probably more irritating than any because they talk a good game and can read instructions but have no understanding of how things really work. You can just "fix" every trans by dropping in a new set of clutches........

One of the harder parts to deal with when it comes to kits is having the people understand what should be done and not what so and so just had done. Do it right the first time with the right parts and knowledge base and then you shouldn't have to worry about it again. So....yes, I am still around...I'm just not in the "click".