LB7: To do head studs or not?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Those are normally tty so I bet that's what stock ones are so yea, overtorqueing is definitley a no go. I hate to spend $600 that could be wasted elsewhere but if I have to do head gaskets twice I'm gonna be a tad upset, pulling the trans twice pissed me off enough!

Yes stock head bolts are tty.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
It's been a couple years, nope no coolant in oil, coolant stays clean too its just always had a lot of cooling system pressure and I'm tired of it and slightly worried.
That's a real good price on the stud kit too, def gonna do studs now.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Have you tried a new or different coolant cap? Do you ever have to add coolant?

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I replaced the coolant cap with a new GM one and I havnt added coolant since I fixed it up that I can remember, that's what I cant understand, it sat all night last night and at 11:00 today the upper radiator hose was still hard..... Should I replace the thermostats just because?

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Well I just ordered head gaskets and studs! It was only $320 more to do studs! Planning to pull it down Wednesday evening, send the heads to the machine shop and put it back together Friday night and Saturday. Gonna be fun.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Pull the engine to do the heads? do you have lb7 or???? lb7 you dont have to mess with the turbo just unbolt the manifolds leave them bolted to the uppipes,unbolt the y bridge and pull it with the clamshell on it its not hard to do it in the truck,if its lly or lbz thats going to be alittle tougher

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Aren't studs overtightening compared to stock? 125 ft lbs is 125 ft lbs..... I've read (the internets) that its not a good idea to do studs on a duramax with out getting the block line bored with a torque plate because it will distort the bores and cause excessive blow-by, any truth to that? That video is nuts!

Head studs do offset the bore of the head from the block slightly and cause the rings to clearance themselves on the "lip" created by the distortion. Having said that, thousands of people have studded their heads (ford, dodge, and gm) without any problems. IMO if you have the means and knowledge to split the tranny and pull the motor then spend the few extra bucks that you thought you were going to spend on the studs and have the bore trued up by a reputable machine shop, im sure Henry can point you in the right direction:thumb: i believe it was trent that had a thread on this topic IIRC
*EDIT* sorry just watched the video

Last edited:

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Pull the engine to do the heads? do you have lb7 or???? lb7 you dont have to mess with the turbo just unbolt the manifolds leave them bolted to the uppipes,unbolt the y bridge and pull it with the clamshell on it its not hard to do it in the truck,if its lly or lbz thats going to be alittle tougher

Lb7, the thing is i could have the engine out in 2.5 hours and the just stand thier and work on it instead of bending over for hours. I'm not gonna pull it though, I don't wanna mess with the trans again......

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
In my opinion u can't use your old head bolts and a new set cost about half the price the headstud kit. So for the peace of mind it will bring it's a no brainer to put in headstud...;)

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
You can have the engine out in 2.5 hours?wow i know im not the fastest thing wrenching but 2.5 isnt that stretching it?

ASE certified master tech here, do this sh!t all day every day. Had the trans out in 3/4s of an hour...... Actually I'm gonna have a buddy who owns his own shop helping me and my brother and another buddy are gonna be there to pass wrenches and do the easy stuff. LOL Trent Nell can do it by himself in 2.5 fwiw.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
ASE certified master tech here, do this sh!t all day every day. Had the trans out in 3/4s of an hour...... Actually I'm gonna have a buddy who owns his own shop helping me and my brother and another buddy are gonna be there to pass wrenches and do the easy stuff. LOL Trent Nell can do it by himself in 2.5 fwiw.

A race truck and a DD are little different to work on though. Good for you if you can do it in 2.5 hrs.