LB7: To do head studs or not?

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I figure this is as good a place to ask as any as it seems yall have real world experience, which is more than you can say for most forums. Im trying to plan my evening tomorrow, about how long does it take to pull the heads on a lb7?? Thanks

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just figure an afternoon to pull them, working straight thru without goofing off. If you've already done LB7 injectors, its not much past that to get the heads off.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Just figure an afternoon to pull them, working straight thru without goofing off. If you've already done LB7 injectors, its not much past that to get the heads off.

I've never done injectors and unfortunatly I need my truck so I'm gonna pull the heads tonight and send them to the machine shop and put it back together Friday night and Saturday if everything works as planned, which it never does. lol

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Drivers side head off in 4 hours and 3 bolts left in passenger side! Probably could do it in less but my buddy that has done them before couldn't come. I want to do a turbo now because its so easy, price on a 66 please if I can get one buy Saturday. Shipped to 21783.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
All the pistons on the drivers side look like this, coolant right?
IMAG0169.jpg

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Hard to see,Are you talking about the lepord spoting? Thats suposed to be there.

4 hours is good but if you only had 3 bolts left in the passengetr side why didnt ya pull that 1 also?

dmax404

May 16, 2011
Hard to see,Are you talking about the lepord spoting? Thats suposed to be there.

4 hours is good but if you only had 3 bolts left in the passengetr side why didnt ya pull that 1 also?

They were the 3 bolts holding the passenger side manifold to the up-pipe. Maybe that would explain lol

dmax404

May 16, 2011
i dont even take those bolts out the uppipe will let the manifold flex out of the way so you can pull the head.

Idk we tried it with the manifold nuts off and couldnt get it. The up-pipe bolts were easy once we figured out how get the hidden one out.
The pistons all looked good to me.....

Last edited:

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
i dont even take those bolts out the uppipe will let the manifold flex out of the way so you can pull the head.

I tried that but there are studs in the head and you cant pull the manifold back far enough, it sucked cause those bolts are a b!tch.. Yea I'm talking about the white splotch, its like the carbon was cleaned off at that spot on most of the pistons in the drivers side.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
It probably is from the coolant, but cant say for sure. Are the spots all in the same places in the bottom of the cylinders? How long had the truck been sitting before you got to the repair?

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
It probably is from the coolant, but cant say for sure. Are the spots all in the same places in the bottom of the cylinders? How long had the truck been sitting before you got to the repair?

No time at all really, I ordered the parts yesterday afternoon and pulled the heads that evening and I drove it every day so its not like it sat a week and puddled. Come to think of it I bet its just coolant the leaked in when I lifted the head off. What has me a little worried is that the head gaskets look fine, dropped the heads off at the machine shop today so I guess we'll see....