LLY: Time to build the motor

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Well machine shop finished up this morning and picked up the short block. Will start putting it together tomorrow. Also they didn't grind it to balance it, they drilled it,anyone know how well that will work? I've heard drilling makes it weaker? True or false?
ama9ytat.jpg

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
They're drilled from the factory too. It won't hurt anything.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Ok got a few questions that I'm
Not sure of. First off how well will these keys work? I told the machine shop to key the whole crank and this is how they did it. Will it break?
e6e3uzus.jpg

And second. Shouldn't the white for on the crank gear be centered between the two yellow dots on the cam gear???
ve6a7yja.jpg

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
They charged me for keying the dampner and the gear but there is no key way for the gear. Looks like stock pin in there.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Ok got a few questions that I'm
Not sure of. First off how well will these keys work? I told the machine shop to key the whole crank and this is how they did it. Will it break?
e6e3uzus.jpg

And second. Shouldn't the white for on the crank gear be centered between the two yellow dots on the cam gear???
ve6a7yja.jpg

Get a pic of the other side of crank were it looks like they slotted it. Most pull the stock pins and center there cut from that hole and cut the slots from there.

Looks like they might of cut the key way but on the other side from the stock pics. Your crank has a extra cut on the snout that it should not have in it.

motorpics009.jpg

LBZTakeout2012.jpg

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Well machine shop finished up this morning and picked up the short block. Will start putting it together tomorrow. Also they didn't grind it to balance it, they drilled it,anyone know how well that will work? I've heard drilling makes it weaker? True or false?
ama9ytat.jpg

And if I'm seeing right through the bag there is the cut they made from the snout in. Did they give you some key stock by chance or did you notice it stuck in the balancer or other parts.

Here is the block with crank snout before you shipped it off that cut was not there.

null_zpseb01bc28.png