PPE manifolds & up pipes , Duramax store brand or??

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Roger on PPE/Dmaxstore. wasn't aware PPE started making them in house.

Im not sure as far as Mishi. I called them up a few times asking about that kit, I think $300 is insane for what you get, I explained I only needed the one piece, they said no problem after taking a few days to isolate the part number. I thought at the time that it is cool, but not worth the $80 or time to install as a standalone, but a good addition when an intercooler is added

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I think i'm going to cerakote mine. hopefully last forever haha

Cerakote won't give you the same thermal barrier that ceramic coating will give you and that's the whole purpose of coating to seal in the exhaust and send it to the turbo and not disapate through the manifold into the engine bay. I had mine ceramic coated and then used heat wrap.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
im agunsmith and use this stuff all the time. Its a good product. I have been wanting a spare frame to coat for a while if I have any takers :):). Im moving into PVD coatings, which is great for small parts but I don't have the equipment for big jobs yet. Need a couple hundred k first

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I dunno. Each truck I've rode in that had them put on did not come on boost as fast as it did before. That was two different stock fuel stock turbo trucks that were not running max effort tuning (that is the key part in my theory). Maybe it's just me. Dyno run with before and after with different tunes used would answer that in a heart beat though

This is right. You have to flow more air into the larger volume pipes to generate the pressure to spool, thus it will take longer to spool. This is assuming exhaust quantity out of each port remains the same before and after the swap.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

Unless I'm mistaken cerakote is a ceramic composite coating it's not an actual ceramic coating. And will not manage the heat like a true ceramic coating. What is the temp range on cerakote I've heard 1700 is the max, I see 1800+ on my egt gauge, would it be holding the heat in like ceramic coat... I would have to see testing comparing the two all I know is ceramic coating is guaranteed to work.

When I had my manifolds and uppipes done my coater said he would definitely not recommend cerakote on manifolds and would not guarantee anything on the finish lasting

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
they have some different options to choose from, but i would be using their turbine coat which has been tested to 1,750f. I'd be happy to get a set coated up if anyone wants to do a test. Might need to get rick back in here haha. he probably has already thought of these things. It is a composite.

1700 inlet air temp ramped from 0 in 1 minute and held for 10 minutes. 185 degrees less on the outside skin. Do you know how that would compare to ricks ceramic?

For me, its the rust resistance that im after. I figure the raw set is plenty for me anyways as I doubt i'll get much over 600hp when all is said and done.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Levi does make manifold blankets. ;)

Ive run a stock turbo, stock tuning, lower compression, 30% inj truck for the last 5 years (gasp! the horrors!) with Rick's manis and ups, and you'd never know it. No change in spool at all. If there is, its so imperceptible that I sure dont notice it.
Elevation may be playing a part in what you other guys are seeing. Not going to sit here and argue the point, though.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Levi does make manifold blankets. ;)

Ive run a stock turbo, stock tuning, lower compression, 30% inj truck for the last 5 years (gasp! the horrors!) with Rick's manis and ups, and you'd never know it. No change in spool at all. If there is, its so imperceptible that I sure dont notice it.
Elevation may be playing a part in what you other guys are seeing. Not going to sit here and argue the point, though.

Didn't think we were really arguing, just discussing what I've seen. Sometime we can have a difference of opinion on parts :D. 1100 feet above sea level doesn't really change much.

If it works for you, that's awesome! I won't change what works for ya. I'm stating what I've seen personally. No other factors changed other than manifolds and pipes, that's what I saw. Like I was saying though, has to be under those certain conditions and a dyno would really show the truth.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I believe it's the tuning that is masking it, Tom. But, Every truck behaves differently and everybody perceives things differently, no arguement from me!

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Manifolds and up pipes usually help initial spool. More if that comes from the up pipe than the manifold I believe. When making these changes it becomes the sum of the parts that contribute to efficiency. Better none as the overall package being more in the right place. One item like that alone isn't going to give jaw dropping results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
The real difference is that the up pipes are consistent now. GM's were not. There were pinch points all over the place with the bellows being the main one. That's why 99% of the people installing our stuff notice an increase.

Think of it as a water hose running full pressure. If someone steps on it somewhere before the end what do you get? You get a reduced flow out the end!!

One of the things we strive to do with all our products is to keep the flow consistent. After every restriction you get a pressure drop. It's undeniable.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Rick, any comments on using cerakote as the end user to coat your manifolds/uppipes? Can you speak at all to the ceramic coatings you use without giving away any classified info?

And your comment speaks to my overall mindset. Eliminate the shortcuts and ill-thought out GM designs where they made stupid calls. In the end have the most efficient running truck, which in my mind means longevity and performance. Even if gains here and there are small, together as a whole they can add up. If they don't add up, mentally I'll still feel better knowing the exhaust is routed well to prevent high egts.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
We use the baked on cerakote here. It helps with the heat but does not last as long as most would like especially over 1600 degrees.

I haven't found anything that will last in the upper heat range yet.