PPE manifolds & up pipes , Duramax store brand or??

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ill be going with ricks up pipes in the near future.

im not quite sure why some guys buy these up pipes/manifolds when they will net a small difference in HP because they have not pushed drive pressure extremely high with a turbo that flows. the stock turbo is the bottle neck. once you change that or mod it, the manifolds and pipes are the next restriction but you REALLY have to be pushing fuel to get to that point. Those that dont push pressure that far will generally see a little lower spool up time from the larger ID. some may not notice but i have. i have purposely held off on manifolds and up pipes to keep spool up best as possible. Drive pressure gauge will tell you the whole story on where to start looking at changing parts.

by no means am i bashing anyone that builds these exhaust parts. you will see a gain in hp. some a small amount, some a much larger amount but there will be a cost of slower spool up DEPENDING on your fueling setup (mainly stock fueling).

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I dont hve the coin to do a turbo and mani/ups at the same time. Might as well install what can be used first lol.

I would do it even if i kept the stock turbo for the egt benefits.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
And not bashing the dmax product really. But per usual for me and as it seems is common on this forum , I value quality and professionalism. To me, Rick fits that bill. Dmaxstore i won't comment. Rick's spent a lot of time designing this stuff and i for one believe that my money is better of with him. At least in this arena

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
Well the forum has spoken, ordering Profab now. Thanks guys and Rick who seems like great guy from our phone conversation .

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
ill be going with ricks up pipes in the near future.

im not quite sure why some guys buy these up pipes/manifolds when they will net a small difference in HP because they have not pushed drive pressure extremely high with a turbo that flows. the stock turbo is the bottle neck. once you change that or mod it, the manifolds and pipes are the next restriction but you REALLY have to be pushing fuel to get to that point. Those that dont push pressure that far will generally see a little lower spool up time from the larger ID. some may not notice but i have. i have purposely held off on manifolds and up pipes to keep spool up best as possible. Drive pressure gauge will tell you the whole story on where to start looking at changing parts.

by no means am i bashing anyone that builds these exhaust parts. you will see a gain in hp. some a small amount, some a much larger amount but there will be a cost of slower spool up DEPENDING on your fueling setup (mainly stock fueling).

Doesnt happen often, but I completely disagree with you, James. I have seen no change whatsoever concerning spoolup on a stock turbo/stock fuel truck with manis and ups. Now, if we were talking headers and ups, then Id agree with you. ;)

dmaxerLLY

Aug 10, 2007
California
www.instagram.com
Just looked at the dmaxstore and all they offer are PPE manifolds/pipes. I do remember them offering really cheap unbranded cast manifolds that looked exactly like PPE and pro-fab. I find it hard to believe there's any difference between the 2 or 3... would love to see PPE and pro fab side by side

dmaxerLLY

Aug 10, 2007
California
www.instagram.com
I clearly am mistaken, pro-fab gets my dollar.

Dmax store on top
PPE
Pro fab on bottom

31534571874_842ed52264_h.jpg

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Doesnt happen often, but I completely disagree with you, James. I have seen no change whatsoever concerning spoolup on a stock turbo/stock fuel truck with manis and ups. Now, if we were talking headers and ups, then Id agree with you. ;)
When I put manifolds & up pipes on years ago I thought the turbo spooled alot quicker almost to the point of eliminating the lag

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

I dunno. Each truck I've rode in that had them put on did not come on boost as fast as it did before. That was two different stock fuel stock turbo trucks that were not running max effort tuning (that is the key part in my theory). Maybe it's just me. Dyno run with before and after with different tunes used would answer that in a heart beat though

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
OK go for it and say I'm nuts, I don't deny it in some aspects of my life, but, I did this fender cutout a long time ago on my LBZ and turbo did spool much quicker. NOTE:, I did not do the PPE mod to the stock airbox.

I also gutted the IAH to keep it emissions looking friendly, added a 3" hotside pipe and insulated it, 3" Mishimoto coldside fittings (found them on craigslist for $100.00) and I would have to spend the additional $100.00 for the uppipes with the EGR riser as that is the first thing the emissions "techs" look for during the underhood visual emissions inspection.

I would not install the uppipes until I had a LLY turbocharger ported and polished and minor upgrades on both wheels.

As it is right now I have to be careful and watch the 4-5, 5-6 upshifts so WOT rarely happens with what few changes I have made. It's OK as locking it 4th gear brings it up to 80-90 mph pretty quick. If I'm not careful with my right foot the upgrades that I have now would send me packing to Disneyland for a transmission rebuild sooner than later, BTW, I'am accepting donations...:rofl:

Everytime you change something on one side it has an effect on the other and overall I have not spent too much money on upgrades since 2013...
:thumb:
=
From this. (Not my truck as I did not take a before picture)
=
2gsn4ht.jpg

=
To this, my truck.
=
xmlmyr.jpg

=
Finished
=
15y839x.jpg

=
=
For when or if I ever did the LLY turbo upgrade the exhaust manifolds were ported and polished to match the uppipes as opposed to the expense of cast headers....

My EGT's like Russel said in this post drop like rock when letting off the throttle..
=
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60226
=

DSCN0441_zps80eb2d89.jpg
=
DSCN0466_zps178cb91a.jpg

=

Last edited:

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I thought the PPE's were ricks but rebranded and coated? Whereas the dmaxstore appears to be more along the lines of a straight copycat. Rick?

Mike I had almost bought the coldside mishi fitting off the intercooler to feed the race pipe. My main like of them was that they are metal with band clamps vs plastic with qd's. Figured it would hold up better. Worth it?

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Mishi said they'd sell the one fitting for $80, then you'd need a 3-2.5" 5" boot for the race pipe. PPE made a boot for it, but I left my coldside off the cooler stock for now since i'll probably do a cooler prior to turbo anyway

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I thought the PPE's were ricks but rebranded and coated? Whereas the dmaxstore appears to be more along the lines of a straight copycat. Rick?
They used to be, but PPE decided to save some money and start making their own. It looks like they sold them to DmaxStore to rebrand as their own (like Rick used to allow PPE to do) because they look exactly the same.
Mishi said they'd sell the one fitting for $80, then you'd need a 3-2.5" 5" boot for the race pipe. PPE made a boot for it, but I left my coldside off the cooler stock for now since i'll probably do a cooler prior to turbo anyway
They must have changed their policy. I contacted them a couple of years ago asking about this, and they said they would not sell pieces individually.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne

Mike I had almost bought the coldside mishi fitting off the intercooler to feed the race pipe. My main like of them was that they are metal with band clamps vs plastic with qd's. Figured it would hold up better. Worth it?

Ppe are not coated

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
What ever ones you get i'd recommend getting them coated. When I bought mine over 5 years ago they where coated by calico coatings, they still look good.