BT DieselWorks Allison Lockup/Unlock Controller 2.0 - NEW FEATURES!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Sounds pretty cool Ben. Could you add the auto lock feature to an older unit?

Yes, for a small fee I can upgrade the older units. However, you will lose the manual "force-lock" button. So it will be "auto-lock" or "force-unlock" only. Ill make a thread about an upgrade program for the older units...

Ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Question for the sled pullers...

How much does the engine generally lug down before you feel the need to unlock the converter in order to keep the charger lit? IE, any ideas roughly what boost level that is? Im finalizing the automatic unlock feature and need to know where to set the baseline...is ~25 psi a good starting point? So if the engine starts to lug down at the end of the pull and the turbo starts to get snuffed out, when boost falls below 25psi, the converter will automatically unlock...

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
Question for the sled pullers...

How much does the engine generally lug down before you feel the need to unlock the converter in order to keep the charger lit? IE, any ideas roughly what boost level that is? Im finalizing the automatic unlock feature and need to know where to set the baseline...is ~25 psi a good starting point? So if the engine starts to lug down at the end of the pull and the turbo starts to get snuffed out, when boost falls below 25psi, the converter will automatically unlock...

I don't think your going to get a cut and dry answer Ben. With the hundreds of combinations out there, I'd say it would be impossible to give you a number. I would say a rpm would be a better indication of when a particular turbo is going to fall off. For instance, I can lug mine down to say 2600 before the turbo say no more, but the boost up to this point hardly falls off at all.
It's been a while since I've pulled with a stock turbo, but I would think they can be lugged well under 2000 rpm, before falling under.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I could have it monitor engine RPM, but then again that wouldnt really work for the drag racing guys who are constantly going through the gears...because with each progressive upshift, you could drop below the "auto unlock" rpm threshold.

Of course, what would REALLY be cool is to have a GPS receiver integrated into it so it could actually measure your ground speed. That would be way too cost prohibitive though.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What about a switch so you could enable the auto unlock feature?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
What about a switch so you could enable the auto unlock feature?

Yes, it already has that. Theres an adjustment setting (a little potentiometer so you can use a screwdriver to set it) so you can set the boost level, or you can just turn it "off", so automatic lockup/unlock is controlled by throttle % (and current gear) alone. And of course the manual "force unlock" button will still work, regardless of whether you are in "auto" or "manual" mode.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Yes, it already has that. Theres an adjustment setting (a little potentiometer so you can use a screwdriver to set it) so you can set the boost level, or you can just turn it "off", so automatic lockup/unlock is controlled by throttle % (and current gear) alone. And of course the manual "force unlock" button will still work, regardless of whether you are in "auto" or "manual" mode.
So you could just shut off the auto unlock feature when you're drag racing and have it use RPM to auto unlock when sled pulling?

I'm thinking a push button or toggle to turn the auto unlock on or off. Just so I'm clear.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
So you could just shut off the auto unlock feature when you're drag racing and have it use RPM to auto unlock when sled pulling?

I'm thinking a push button or toggle to turn the auto unlock on or off. Just so I'm clear.

Ok I think I understand what you are getting at. So there could be basically 4 buttons on the module:

1. Auto/manual mode
2. drag racing/sled pulling mode
3. force-manual lock
4. force-manual unlock

Just so Im clear though, the general consensus is that a boost-referenced auto-unlock feature during sled pulling is not very useful? It would be more advantageous to have an RPM-referenced auto-unlock?

For the guys who want these by Sheids, I probably wont have the RPM-based autounlock feature working. (because I designed the module around boost-based autounlock) BUT when I do get the RPM-based unlock feature working, you will have the option to send your module in to get reflashed/upgraded so it will have the "autounlock based on RPM" feature. So if you want the "deluxe" module ASAP, dont worry about being left out in the cold with something thats obsolete. :)

cole30

Sep 21, 2009
Ok I think I understand what you are getting at. So there could be basically 4 buttons on the module:

1. Auto/manual mode
3. force-manual lock
4. force-manual unlock

Just so Im clear though, the general consensus is that a boost-referenced auto-unlock feature during sled pulling is not very useful? It would be more advantageous to have an RPM-referenced auto-unlock?

For the guys who want these by Sheids, I probably wont have the RPM-based autounlock feature working. (because I designed the module around boost-based autounlock) BUT when I do get the RPM-based unlock feature working, you will have the option to send your module in to get reflashed/upgraded so it will have the "autounlock based on RPM" feature. So if you want the "deluxe" module ASAP, dont worry about being left out in the cold with something thats obsolete. :)

Why is that?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I agree with Josh if I understand him correctly.... Just button to turn auto unlock on and off, because correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you need a unlock for racing..

1 auto/manual
2 sledpuller, auto lock/unlock
3 auto lock
4 force manual lock
5 force manual unlock

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

1. Auto/manual mode
3. force-manual lock
4. force-manual unlock

Yes. That is exactly what I had in mind. Unfortunately, like you, I don't have any experience sled pulling with a large single. I really don't know if RPM or boost referenced unlock is better. I would have thought some of the big sled pullers would have some input. Maybe a new thread specifically for that would yield more input?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
RPM based un-lock. Boost usually comes up at the end when its under full load.

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
I'm thinking most hard core sled pullers won't want any kind of "auto" feature, just a manual force lock, and force un-lock.
Iowa is right, as the motor loads, boost come up as RPM go's down, so making a boost referenced un-lock feature, simply won't work.

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
just a dumb thought, but if we had the tcm tables to disable dtcs with efilive, couldnt we disable p0743, and use a switch as far as an unlock is concerned?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
just a dumb thought, but if we had the tcm tables to disable dtcs with efilive, couldnt we disable p0743, and use a switch as far as an unlock is concerned?
AFAIK, you can't disable DTCs in the TCM.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Sorry guys im still working on these, literally devoting every hour in the day to this because I know everyone wants one in time for Sheids. Having some issues where the controller sometimes reset randomly due to noise on the PWM portion of the circuit. I have some ideas that im going to be working on today and hopefully Ill get it all straightened out.

I know it seems like its taking forever, but its difficult because im on my own with designing these...its not like there is anyone I can "just call for tech support/advice" because no one has done anything like this before. :eek:

And Im NOT going to just release a lockup controller prematurely that only works 'sometimes' or not at all. I have not had a single complaint or failure/problem with all of the 30+ of my first-gen lockup controllers out there...I want the second-gen controllers to be even better. :)

Ben

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
I, for one, appreciate your diligence and hard work, ben. Why get something out before you have confidence it's right?

Sounds like a great new product!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk