1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
I can't imagine having to buy a new steel block, plus rebuilding it being more expensive then an aluminum block. I can appreciate the weight loss though.

Why not just a filled block like the cummins guys do? Hell it's hopefully only gonna be a 7sec run anyway. I mean hell if you're building it up enough to where you think you need an alum block, who needs coolant.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
This is sort of a side thought, bout exactly how do the fasteners (head & main studs in particular) get enough holding strength in aluminum? Must be some sort of steel threaded inserts? But then how are those secured?

Its just a general question about any alum block, not just this one. Just curious. :D

aluminum blocks are very good at several things, they even come from the factory on more and more engines than ever before.

this aluminum is not your average cast crap aluminum. It is forged billet aluminum. Much stronger than many types of low grade steel. and much lighter.

think about it, if you can run a aluminum piston, you can run a aluminum block.

BTW top fuel head studs are tqed @ about 150lbs+ and the mains are 225lbs+... and they use aluminum blocks.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
I can't imagine having to buy a new steel block, plus rebuilding it being more expensive then an aluminum block. I can appreciate the weight loss though.

Why not just a filled block like the cummins guys do? Hell it's hopefully only gonna be a 7sec run anyway. I mean hell if you're building it up enough to where you think you need an alum block, who needs coolant.

steel block is like steel pistons...going backwards IMO. except you can weld a steel block if it comes apart.

even the filled blocks are having migration issue's.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
People need to remember , this could open up a whole new set of options for us , forget about some of the simple benefits for a minute , and consider that one day we may be able to have a 500+ cubic inch dmax :D , its def out of my price range but def cool it might be a option one day .

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
I think it's an awesome ideal and if I had the cash I would def. order one. U could really throw it to it with a alum. block and a billet crank..:thumb:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Stock Main Caps?

What about lifters? Whats going on there? Stock drop in or what?

Std. Bore? Or can we get +0.40" out of it over a stock bore?

aluminum main caps

any size lifter you want

any bore you want(within spacing allowance)

yep will be same as stock on the outside if you choose.

People need to remember , this could open up a whole new set of options for us , forget about some of the simple benefits for a minute , and consider that one day we may be able to have a 500+ cubic inch dmax :D , its def out of my price range but def cool it might be a option one day .

Exactly!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

How could you even call it a duramax though?

A "duramax", by definition, is a 6.6 liter V8 turbo diesel with a deep-skirt iron block, cross bolted mains, 2 oil pans, aluminum heads, 4 valves/cylinder, pushrod, high pressure common-rail fuel injection, etc..

You do something like make a big huge billet block, etc...its not a duramax anymore... so what would be the big accomplishment if you "kicked ass" with it? Its just another "V8 diesel engine", not a duramax specifically.

Maybe im alone in this thinking...but I want to see the DURAMAX taken to the next level...not making something new and putting it in a GM pickup truck.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Oh it's still a duramax alright... it's a V8 common rail diesel engine that uses a bosch fuel system... that's what a duramax is.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
How could you even call it a duramax though?

A "duramax", by definition, is a 6.6 liter V8 turbo diesel with a deep-skirt iron block, cross bolted mains, 2 oil pans, aluminum heads, 4 valves/cylinder, pushrod, high pressure common-rail fuel injection, etc..

You do something like make a big huge billet block, etc...its not a duramax anymore... so what would be the big accomplishment if you "kicked ass" with it? Its just another "V8 diesel engine", not a duramax specifically.

Maybe im alone in this thinking...but I want to see the DURAMAX taken to the next level...not making something new and putting it in a GM pickup truck.

Ok Sheldon :roflmao:

jon5212

Oct 13, 2010
Well I've had ideas of taking a duramax to the next level but I'm not sure anyone is interested in them.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Actually there have been a number of people contributing to this project for some time now.

It never ceases to amaze me how one person always wants to take credit for the cumulative effort of many.

FYI, I have two on order...............:D

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Actually there have been a number of people contributing to this project for some time now.

It never ceases to amaze me how one person always wants to take credit for the cumulative effort of many.

FYI, I have two on order...............:D

Thats right, mike wood and myself have been involved for over a year and i have been involed for over two years . Chuck told me today you just called...dont try and weasle your name into this, i know better.....;)

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Thats right, mike wood and myself have been involved for over a year and i have been involed for over two years . Chuck told me today you just called...dont try and weasle your name into this, i know better.....;)

Better check your facts, been invloved in the emails long before I talked to CN yesterday to see what the final version was supposed to be.

How many did you order to help get the project moving along?