A bunch of stock LB7 turbo questions

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
1) I cant find any info on the stock LB7 charger. Can someone send me a link to specs, sizes of parts, etc?

2) Eric proposed to test a set of larger up-pipes on my truck this spring. Opinions on if these would be a help or hindrance? I tried finding info yea or nay the last few days, but only came away with one idea....that you have to match the up pipe size to the efficiency of the turbo and that too large an up-pipe could cause more lag and usability issues.
I dont know what to think.

3) In my searching, I found a shop that does porting and polishing of the insides of turbos. (name is Crucial Racing, but I guess there are many places that do this) They claim that doing a PnP greatly increases the efficiency and boost output. They also coat the exhaust housing with a thermal barrier coating. Is this BS or not? and if its not BS, is this something that could help the Dmax stock-turbo crowd?

4) I'm buying a modded inlet from SuperDiesel, as I think that it will greatly help my situation. I also like that idea that mytmouse had about removing that intake heater from teh intake tract (who knew we had one?).
Should I also be looking at the piping for my S&B intake, and reviewing how the air flows through that, too?

I'm just trying to get my ideas out of my jumbled brain, so if you can make sense of my ramblings, any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
1) I cant find any info on the stock LB7 charger. Can someone send me a link to specs, sizes of parts, etc?

2) Eric proposed to test a set of larger up-pipes on my truck this spring. Opinions on if these would be a help or hindrance? I tried finding info yea or nay the last few days, but only came away with one idea....that you have to match the up pipe size to the efficiency of the turbo and that too large an up-pipe could cause more lag and usability issues.

3) In my searching, I found a shop that does porting and polishing of the insides of turbos. (name is Crucial Racing, but I guess there are many places that do this) They claim that doing a PnP greatly increases the efficiency and boost output. They also coat the exhaust housing with a thermal barrier coating. Is this BS or not? and if its not BS, is this something that could help the Dmax stock-turbo crowd?

4) I'm buying a modded inlet from SuperDiesel, as I think that it will greatly help my situation. I also like that idea that mytmouse had about removing that intake heater from teh intake tract (who knew we had one?).
Should I also be looking at the piping for my S&B intake, and reviewing how the air flows through that, too?

I'm just trying to get my ideas out of my jumbled brain, so if you can make sense of my ramblings, any help you can give me would be appreciated.

not trying to take the wind out of you sail bac but at what point are you even still considering these times stock turbo if you go forward and crack the case apart, your times out run mine so i am not taking away from what your goal is but i think either keep the turbo stock and shoot for your goal or put a charger on instead of spending so much to get a inch when you could get a mile, just my opinion , and i love my feed pipes spool up is much better than stock with my turbo . and those are all good ideas

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
trent...its because nobody's ever done it. What can a stock CP3, stock internals, stock turbo LB7 really do, if all the little things are done right?
Granted, not many people would even bother to try, but I kinda like doing things nobody else is attempting.

Sure, I could go spend $2500 on a turbo, but, honestly, I dont want to. Its not in the budget. Heck, thats not in a lot of people's budget.
Besides, stronger rods would come first.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i wish you the best of luck what have done with the truck already is truly great :hug: , and i knew what i wrote would not be a popular post .

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
i wish you the best of luck what have done with the truck already is truly great :hug: , and i knew what i wrote would not be a popular post .

Oh no, dont get me wrong, I do appreciate your post. Im just brainstorming and trying to figure out things that maybe havent been thought of yet. Isnt that why we're here?

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Hey, I too would like the stock IHI specs if anyone has them!

Tom, can I live vicariouslly through you:rofl: A new turbo isnt in my funding right now so i wanna maximize my stocker;)

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Hey, I too would like the stock IHI specs if anyone has them!

Tom, can I live vicariouslly through you:rofl: A new turbo isnt in my funding right now so i wanna maximize my stocker;)

Sure....I used to live vicariously through Tomac, Merchant, Pat and a host of others....then Eric sold me a transmission and my mind started to work overtime....that can be a bad thing....:rofl:

How does one become a member of "Team Borrowed Time" anyway? I think I have the qualifications now, dont I? :rofl:

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
on a technical note tom on my s300 with a 2mm upgrade on the compreser wheel i gained .10 and 1.# on my mph maybe more i only got to run it one event then track shut down ,if you can get that much more air out of the stocker it could get you some extra time for shure , and havnt ran since my up pipes so dont know what they are worth in the 1/4 .

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
1) I cant find any info on the stock LB7 charger. Can someone send me a link to specs, sizes of parts, etc?ihi is 61.2?mm inducer i got the map pick somewere

i agree that there is room for imporvement on stock up-pipes.. if the opening is 2" on both ends but the pipe ID is 1.875" there is restriciton. IMO no point is going bigger then the opening of either hte manifolds or inlet to the turbo perdastal
3) In my searching, I found a shop that does porting and polishing of the insides of turbos. (name is Crucial Racing, but I guess there are many places that do this) They claim that doing a PnP greatly increases the efficiency and boost output. They also coat the exhaust housing with a thermal barrier coating. Is this BS or not? and if its not BS, is this something that could help the Dmax stock-turbo crowd?a smooth surface WILL out flow a cast or slightly milled surface... hoter the air less effcient the compressor is... coating hte trubine housing will keep more heat in the housing making for a more responsive turbo.. might increasr egts alittle as well. same with up-pipes... def in principle it will work better...

4) I'm buying a modded inlet from SuperDiesel, as I think that it will greatly help my situation. I also like that idea that mytmouse had about removing that intake heater from teh intake tract (who knew we had one?). i did and i cut the coils out and put it back in when i blew my turbo up in april 07 then turned it off with efi live
Should I also be looking at the piping for my S&B intake, and reviewing how the air flows through that, too? cant tell you much on that... never messed with it... i am useing 4" abs sewer pipe to the intake horn on the turbo and a stock air box with the bottom cut off it

coating and PnP can wind up to some $$$$$$$$

CAC pipes could be looked at for better flow

pending on how far you want to go... you can sink ALOT of money into this ;)

flow map
attachment.php

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

I'll see if I can dig up a map, but it runs off the map at about 55lb/min IIRC, and doesn't have much above 3:1 pressure ratio. The LLY charger is has more potential on the compressor.

Exhaust plumbing is based on RPM. Our risers are 1.75" with some significant crimps, but seem to do well up to 3200rpm.

Polishing and coating can certainly improve efficiency, but not by big amounts.

Mike L is testing the Super Diesel inlet. He told me he's impressed, but he thinks Mustangs are fast. :D