A bunch of stock LB7 turbo questions

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Diamond Eye pipe can be had from Kat for around $200 last I called her, see if they have anymore. You can also find them elsewhere for that price. I think if you could just make a short adapter to hook a Diamond Eye onto that would be the cheapest and best route.

Last edited:

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I was thinking more along the lines of this 14wgt.jpg
One hole in the plate center on the turbine discharge

Attachments

• 14wgt.jpg
    14wgt.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
I have my stock LB7 turbo sitting here with 60,000 stock miles on it. If one of you guys needs it for R&D let me know. I will never use it again and I don't need it sitting here taking up space. I have the down pipe with the funny flange here too. Let me know.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, since I'm not really a fabricator, I plan on surprising Merchant with this plate, and working with him to build a downpipe. Only trouble I see with running a DiamondEye with this setup is I dont know how we'd hook up the wastegate relief. Dont know if we could do a double V-band with those holes so close.
Best bet will probably be to just develop a new pipe.

Last edited:

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Only trouble I see with running a DiamondEye with this setup is I dont know how we'd hook up the wastegate relief.
Should only need one hole unless the wastegate flap opens past the flange or theres no room inbetween the 2 holes.

Anybody have a blown up LB7 turbo kicking around?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
In talking to Vasile, he was thinking that running the wastegate separately further down stream would minimize turbulence. I dont know squat about turbos, but it made sense to me. He should really explain it.

Im just hoping all these darn ideas Ive been hatching come to fruition. If they do, then 2009 could truely be a fun year. Starting to get a bunch of irons in the fire.

Last edited:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
In talking to Vasile, he was thinking that running the wastegate separately further down stream would minimize turbulence. I dont know squat about turbos, but it made sense to me. He should really explain it.

Im just hoping all these darn ideas Ive been hatching come to fruition. If they do, then 2009 could truely be a fun year. Starting to get a bunch of irons in the fire.
i have seen this done with ricers all the time, and that is where i got the idea from. i talked to a teacher at the university of northwestern ohio (where i got a diploma as a diesel tech) ; that graduated in high performance, teaches hp welding, and has welded lots of different types of headers and downpipes (like the one tom is going to do) for racing teams. he said this type of thing would work well in terms of flowing better.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Tom what regulator are you running on your cp3?

OEM LB7. Rail runs 23,500-23,600psi after 5th gear, but its a bit lower for the first 1/8. Might need to address that.

I missed out on Michael's LBZ reg fire sale. :(

Vaz, this is gonna be fun. Wait til I drop the bomb on Eric. :rofl:

Last edited:

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
As I said, I have a perfect LB7 turbo sitting here. Someone here can have it for shipping if it will help. It has the fatory down pipe with it as well. I would love to see it help you guys do something. Better than having it sit here.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
As I said, I have a perfect LB7 turbo sitting here. Someone here can have it for shipping if it will help. It has the fatory down pipe with it as well. I would love to see it help you guys do something. Better than having it sit here.

PM sent

Last edited:

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
So sexy, isn't it?

DSCF0368.jpg

DSCF0354.jpg

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, Vaz's flange wont work in its current form. The hole for the wastegate needs to be an oval, not a circle so the gate can open. Eric thinks the flange can still be used, but he and his fab guy will need time to figure it out.

Eric gave me a stock LB7 downpipe, and I think I may take some of the guys advice and see if I can have my fab guy cut it in half and graft a larger (4"?) pipe onto the end.

If it doesnt work, I just stick with what I've got. Its worked so far.

Last edited:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
well, vaz's flange wont work in its current form. The hole for the wastegate needs to be an oval, not a circle so the gate can open. Eric thinks the flange can still be used, but he and his fab guy will need time to figure it out.

Eric gave me a stock lb7 downpipe, and i think i may take some of the guys advice and see if i can have my fab guy cut it in half and graft a larger (4"?) pipe onto the end.

If it doesnt work, i just stick with what i've got. Its worked so far.

the hole does not need to be cut like that,the wastegate doesnt open that far- the only thing that it needs is the inside of the hole (the side that is facing the wastegate) needs to be ported a 1/3 around on top on an angle clear the lever. I have done this at home to check clearance and everything is good with the wastgate actuator hooked up.

Last edited: