LB7: 10 sec zf-6

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
One word. GUT.

My LB7 started at 6250lbs with me in it.

It's been as light as 5380 with me in it without a roll bar, currently is 5550 +/- 50lbs.

There is a lot of weight everywhere in these trucks, finding it is the problem.

The ZF is how much weight compared to the Allison?

I "think" I had one of the lightest weighing 4wd single cabs we know of, but could be wrong.

As far as the spray, I spray on launch and spray through the gears, never had a problem.

Since it seems like you cant stay in 5th due to RPM I'd almost consider finding a 33" slick and removing the 4wd make it a 2wd and you will be able to run 1320' in 5th gear.

zf 4x4 trans 233 pounds zf 2x4 trans is 241 that's with fluid

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
One word. GUT.

My LB7 started at 6250lbs with me in it.

It's been as light as 5380 with me in it without a roll bar, currently is 5550 +/- 50lbs.

There is a lot of weight everywhere in these trucks, finding it is the problem.

The ZF is how much weight compared to the Allison?

I "think" I had one of the lightest weighing 4wd single cabs we know of, but could be wrong.

As far as the spray, I spray on launch and spray through the gears, never had a problem.

Since it seems like you cant stay in 5th due to RPM I'd almost consider finding a 33" slick and removing the 4wd make it a 2wd and you will be able to run 1320' in 5th gear.

I hear you on gutting the ol girl. I cant remove the 4wd, i just dont wanna go that route. If 6th gear doesnt hold we'll machine this or that and make it work. Just read your whole build thread, and im pretty sure there was 2 pages on how much everybody weighed :rofl: I cant wait to rip that damn A/C off. Idk how you can roll around in that thing without a radio!

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
A zf is 233 pounds but my dual disc is 100 pounds, so the clutch you will have to have is gonna add a few healthy pounds to the truck.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Coilovers i should look into james?

i would. For a drag only rig id go with those QA1 shocks. they will control the truck well on launches. the weight you put back on to the truck is a fraction of what you took off.

You will loose 100 lbs removing the torsion bars and crossmember but how much do you gain back by adding coilovers?

ive told you that answer before ;) :D. max is 20-30lbs. my big ass ones added 40lbs but we are talking a 2.5" body shock, 3.0 coil spring and a big resi. question is, why have you not done these on your drag truck?

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
I'm pretty excited to see someone is going to legitimately give this a try. I researched this exact goal for a solid year and its very achievable. Let's take dirk Stratton (caleb old truck) for example. He launched 4th with a 2.0 60". Et was 11.43 I believe. In order to get the 10.99 if he could of cut a 1.75 that would of almost guaranteed a 10.99. To improve on his truck a 4 wheel line lock and being able to get the charger lit before launching would of easily gotten him down that low. Also a small shot of nitrous would of got him close. To my knowledge that truck is on a stock cam, putting a cam in that moves the power band up past 4k will help you keep the turbos happy in between shifts also lowering your et. The setup your thinking with a some seat time to get use to it I bet you'll get around a 10.8 once everything is working and the clutch keeps together. Brians idea of going 2wd also could be brought into play. If your launching in 4th with 373 your only shifting twice as is. Not to mention fourth is really high and it won't give you the quick shock to the tires that third would. Which would help hook.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I'm pretty excited to see someone is going to legitimately give this a try. I researched this exact goal for a solid year and its very achievable. Let's take dirk Stratton (caleb old truck) for example. He launched 4th with a 2.0 60". Et was 11.43 I believe. In order to get the 10.99 if he could of cut a 1.75 that would of almost guaranteed a 10.99. To improve on his truck a 4 wheel line lock and being able to get the charger lit before launching would of easily gotten him down that low. Also a small shot of nitrous would of got him close. To my knowledge that truck is on a stock cam, putting a cam in that moves the power band up past 4k will help you keep the turbos happy in between shifts also lowering your et. The setup your thinking with a some seat time to get use to it I bet you'll get around a 10.8 once everything is working and the clutch keeps together. Brians idea of going 2wd also could be brought into play. If your launching in 4th with 373 your only shifting twice as is. Not to mention fourth is really high and it won't give you the quick shock to the tires that third would. Which would help hook.

That's what I was kinda thinking to myself. I was wondering if a couple mods to that truck and a better 60ft could have got it to 10.99. It was making around 850 correct? Completely streetable truck also right?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Getting a stick to 60' properly is damn near impossible. Thats why no one with a fast car has a manual. 4th gear wont give you jump off the line you need. Spraying might. Not to mention how hard it is to shift that trans quickly. I wish you much luck and i hope to be at PRP to see it happen.

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
Obviously the stick is a hinder to all out performance but so is using a 3/4 ton truck with a diesel. There's a few quick cars with a manual granted none of them are running 5s in the quarter. Ya Strattons truck is completely streetable and from my understanding a very basic tune. The truck could go 10s as Is with a shot of nitrous and up the tuning but the current owner doesn't really push the truck and has it for sale.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
ive told you that answer before ;) :D. max is 20-30lbs. my big ass ones added 40lbs but we are talking a 2.5" body shock, 3.0 coil spring and a big resi. question is, why have you not done these on your drag truck?

Because I wont be able to turn with 30x14x16 radials with my front end on the floor. Find me a spring that wont put my oil pan on the ground and i'll buy them :D