LB7: 10 sec zf-6

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Looks like we're going to try and put a zf-6 truck in the 10's. The truck is a Reg cab 4x4 02. Im looking for everybody's opinions and advice on how to make this happen. The start date on this build will be January but i dont for-see the truck making a pass till next spring unless i find a money tree or serious sponsor. I talked with Johnboy and he thinks 1000hp should be plenty of power to get us there. Ive bounced johns ideas off of broviak and below is the build ive came up with as of now.

Motor build
.20 over fingers cast pistons 15:1 or 15.5:1 with valve reliefs
Socal af cam
Stock main caps with arp main studs
Wagler cupless heads, with stock size valves
Carrillo rods
s468/87 .90ar TCT BMWs483/96 1.32
clevite hx main bearings with at least .004 main bearing to crank clearance
new oil pump (do i need a high flow oil pump)?
pinned danville water pump
150 over exergy's
lift pump?
dual fuelers

Tranny
short throw kit
clutch????

Driveshafts will both be built, axle tubes will be welded to carrier, straight centerlink out front with sleeves, or stock centerlink with tonys brace, bracing added underneath diff gusset

Suspension
cal tracs with adjustable rear shocks or a 4link?
coilovers on the frt on? or standard torsion bars with adjustable frt shocks

Tires
m and h 325/45/17

Wheels
no idea on what width wheel to go with?

Im sure theres alot of important info that ive forgot and please dont be afraid to share your opinions and ideas.

OHHH cant forget the hood stack!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
And you forgot the excessively large shot of nitrous :D

Hope you get it accomplished. I have no insite on going fast so I'm in for the info

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Try slamming gears with a triple disk clutch that will hold 1000 horse. Going to be very hard.

Agreed, finding a clutch thatll work is going to be tough, and expensive.

3.42's and stay out of 6th gear possible?

That may not be a bad idea

Exergy modifies bodies anything over 200 i think. Better rate, etc, plus super low pulse width would help it rev and be able to run low timing with something of that size.

Sounds good, do you have a running tab at exergy? ill just call and have them put that on yours :roflmao:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Good luck with the project, but for how fast Caleb and Darius used to have to shift for their 11s and 12s, I just dont think it'll be feasible. Hopefully you prove me wrong.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Is 6th known to be weak or something? Or do u just not want to have to jam 6th? I would call south bend to see what they had to say before you got to far into it. But my dual discs have shifted amazingly.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Is 6th known to be weak or something? Or do u just not want to have to jam 6th? I would call south bend to see what they had to say before you got to far into it. But my dual discs have shifted amazingly.

Literally almost asked that exact question 10 min ago

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Why use the clutch? Could you cut the gears so you can slam it without clutching. Be hard on trans but might get you what you want.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
3rd gear launch and stay out of 6th :D

According to my calcualtions 5th is only good for 102 mph with 3.73's at 4500rpms. With 3.42's 5th is good for 112 at 4500. I may have done the math wrong though.

To go 10.99 i gotta go at least 125mph?

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I rapped the shit out of fifth in the quarter that's the gear I finished in. And my trap speed was 101.2. With 275's falcons. You will need 6th gear or a gear vendors. You can clutch without letting off the throttle but I don't know about without the clutch, you can but it's slower like floating.

Last edited:

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
I rapped the shit out of fifth in the quarter that's the gear I finished in. And my trap speed was 101.2. With 275's falcons. You will need 6th gear or a gear vendors. You can clutch without letting off the throttle but I don't know about without the clutch, you can but it's slower like floating.

Should of stated i was figuring for a 28.5 tall m and h slick