LB7: 10 sec zf-6

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Well that would be something different

They do it on race quads. Race cut the gears so you don't have to clutch. I kind of like the though of a gears vendors because you can get an extra shift without shifting the trans. But that might be cheating.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
They do it on race quads. Race cut the gears so you don't have to clutch. I kind of like the though of a gears vendors because you can get an extra shift without shifting the trans. But that might be cheating.

Ya def not gonna run a gear vendor.

Anybody ever heard of setting up line lock for all four brakes? To try and help stage

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Ya def not gonna run a gear vendor.

Anybody ever heard of setting up line lock for all four brakes? To try and help stage
I'm confused as to what you're going to do with a line lock on 4 wheels. That's called not pressing on the brake pedal. Unless you want a reverse line lock:) If so it's super easy to setup. Just put valves inline with the front a rear brakes.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
I'm confused as to what you're going to do with a line lock on 4 wheels. That's called not pressing on the brake pedal. Unless you want a reverse line lock:) If so it's super easy to setup. Just put valves inline with the front a rear brakes.

Lock all 4 brakes when engaged instead of just the front brakes like conventional line lock.

edit- just wondering if anybodys ever heard of anybody trying this, and opinions on how you guys think it would work.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
I think it would work perfect for you. You could worry about just the clutch and the gas, release a button and fly. Probably take some practice to figure it out.

Whats the program on nitrous? Spray as soon as you hit high gear?

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
I think it'll be interesting to see how much nitrous the zf or clutch can handle in any gear at your planned power level.

If your implying guys spray as soon as you launch, how would that affect the motor during a shift. I'm not familiar with any of that at all...

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
If your implying guys spray as soon as you launch, how would that affect the motor during a shift. I'm not familiar with any of that at all...

I wasn't implying that at all. Just that your transmission and clutch are already going to be seeing some next level abuse.

I wouldn't spray right off the line, I think traction will be non existent.

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
Fan of caltracs myself. Made several mid 11 second passes with them and decent 60s

Of course built Allison though. Pretty interested in how this goes though

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
How much are you planning on weighing? Completely stripped truck or? Wish I had the money to build a motor. Would be hella fun to race a zf truck.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
How much are you planning on weighing? Completely stripped truck or? Wish I had the money to build a motor. Would be hella fun to race a zf truck.

Full interior besides racing seats, roll cage, one battery, spare tire cross member removed, maybe a fuel cell. Whatever that ends up weighing I have no clue.

Edit- roll pan, no hitch, remove a couple leaves

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
So pretty much a complete truck. Doesn't Marks truck weigh around 5800-6000? And it's 2wd. So maybe you could do enough weight cut to get close to that?

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
So pretty much a complete truck. Doesn't Marks truck weigh around 5800-6000? And it's 2wd. So maybe you could do enough weight cut to get close to that?

Brians truck was weighing 5700ish, i just started reading threw his build thread. Im assuming we'll be close to that.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
One word. GUT.

My LB7 started at 6250lbs with me in it.

It's been as light as 5380 with me in it without a roll bar, currently is 5550 +/- 50lbs.

There is a lot of weight everywhere in these trucks, finding it is the problem.

The ZF is how much weight compared to the Allison?

I "think" I had one of the lightest weighing 4wd single cabs we know of, but could be wrong.

As far as the spray, I spray on launch and spray through the gears, never had a problem.

Since it seems like you cant stay in 5th due to RPM I'd almost consider finding a 33" slick and removing the 4wd make it a 2wd and you will be able to run 1320' in 5th gear.