Your input on a 600hp DD

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I did 578hp with stock injectors, stock cp3 and an s472. And that is with fairly conservative tuning. How it's setup right now, on fuel only, I think its got 600rwhp in it. I vote a s472 and some 40 overs and enjoy your ride.

02dirtymax

Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
you can mod your cp3 cover and regulator for free and pick up some fuel pressure (about 2-3K in my case). It definitely helps.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
This is certainly old news, but I pushed 798rwhp uncorrected and ran 10 sec ET's on slock LLY injectors. The same stock injectors spooled a 3.2 inducer turbo with a tight converter.

carpenca

Dec 17, 2010
An LLY with EGR deletes, 3" Plumbing, a S366 T4 non-gated will hit 600RWHP with just a tune. An S366 in a gayted T3 housing will not, youll need bigger nozzles in order to do it without burning the engine down.

Caleb

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
Don't forget tuning is key in this application. Make sure you go over with the tuner for what you want to accomplish. If it were me, i would go with a s366 t4 nongated as it will spool very quickly, and forget anything else. I am sure you will be more than happy for a mild build with that setup, it will be fine in all applications stated. Quite frankly for the money, you cannot beat that turbo!

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Your stock motor cant handle anything more than a S366 can throw at it with stock injectors and cp3. IMO you are wasting your money buying a bunch of additional parts when the motor wont handle the power. Stay with a small charger thatspools fast and you will be happy. No point in going crazy because your motor won't last over 600hp IMO

His motor will last longer than yours will.

you've also go an LBZ which will hold a little more hp on the rods..

Our pistons are breaking alot easier than lb7/lly rods are bending.

When I do it I'm going to get intercooler pipes, egr delete, up pipes, and drivers side manifold. I'd also stud it.

intercooler pipes, uppipes, and studs I would forget about for what your looking for. But thats me, It will help you but I just don't think its a need..

DTS always puts out good stuff and from what Dave has told me about their new VVT,, i'm sure it's gonna be badass and easily capable of 600+.

Any info on these on the web?

dirty-b

KCCO!
Jun 5, 2010
Central MN
An LLY with EGR deletes, 3" Plumbing, a S366 T4 non-gated will hit 600RWHP with just a tune. An S366 in a gayted T3 housing will not, youll need bigger nozzles in order to do it without burning the engine down.

Caleb

Could you explain the difference between the two? I know nothing about turbos and everyone I talk to says to go with a 366, but I have yet to decide witch one. Thanks, Jamie

carpenca

Dec 17, 2010
Could you explain the difference between the two? I know nothing about turbos and everyone I talk to says to go with a 366, but I have yet to decide witch one. Thanks, Jamie

The T4 vs T3 is a reference to the size of the "turbin flange" "turbine foot"... Id say the T4 flange is 20-30% bigger than the T3. The difference between the non-gated T4 vs Gated T3 is in the turbine housing design.

The T3 gated housing used standard in the aftermarket was designed for a 65mm S200 turbocharger originally. Castings variations and improvements have been made, but the standard driving characteristics remain the same. Regardless the housing was never designed for a 71 or 73mm turbine wheel. The result is a charger that runs pretty good at low level tuning 450-500 RWHP. However regardless of application, the chargers are lazy with big boy fueling. (Think two stroke 80cc dirtbike) Stab the throttle and you kinda wait for it, wait for it, build some heat, make some smoke, and BAMMM!! Blows the tires off! Obviously this is combated with some tuning, pulling throttle based quantities, just driving with some sense and "feeding" it (takes to long), or driving around it.(guilty...)

The T4 non-gated housing is the housing Borg Warner engineered for the 73mm turbine, end of story. ^^^^^^That rant is non existant with the T4 housing. The downside is that its not gated; so you either plumb an external wastegate or do headstuds.

Two LB7s, exact same tune, LBZ CP3s, stock injectors, stock head bolts.

-T3 Gate S366/73 (Should be familiar)
Max Power: 585/1128
Max EGTs: 1800*
Max Boost: 40 PSI

-T4 Non-Gated
Max Power: 622/1227
Max EGTs: 1500*

True Story, from the horses mouth.

Caleb

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
The T4 vs T3 is a reference to the size of the "turbin flange" "turbine foot"... Id say the T4 flange is 20-30% bigger than the T3. The difference between the non-gated T4 vs Gated T3 is in the turbine housing design.

The T3 gated housing used standard in the aftermarket was designed for a 65mm S200 turbocharger originally. Castings variations and improvements have been made, but the standard driving characteristics remain the same. Regardless the housing was never designed for a 71 or 73mm turbine wheel. The result is a charger that runs pretty good at low level tuning 450-500 RWHP. However regardless of application, the chargers are lazy with big boy fueling. (Think two stroke 80cc dirtbike) Stab the throttle and you kinda wait for it, wait for it, build some heat, make some smoke, and BAMMM!! Blows the tires off! Obviously this is combated with some tuning, pulling throttle based quantities, just driving with some sense and "feeding" it (takes to long), or driving around it.(guilty...)

The T4 non-gated housing is the housing Borg Warner engineered for the 73mm turbine, end of story. ^^^^^^That rant is non existant with the T4 housing. The downside is that its not gated; so you either plumb an external wastegate or do headstuds.

-T4 Non-Gated

Caleb

I am going to make you clarify the statement in red , as I greatly disagree , "big boy fuel" bit is silly to me , it is very easy to tune fuel out and any one running an internal gated charger on a big power build..... well thats an who;le other discussion . I disagree with other parts but not enough to get into a pissing match over , we both agree the T-4 S300 holds a big performance advantage over the internal gated , But i disagree that the T-4 spools faster , but I only use HTT internal gated chargers with the stainless housing due to the fact that they made many changes to the turbine housing when the casted it to correct exactly what your referring to .

What would be more cost effective studs or external gate?
neither are required with that turbo at the 600 hp level IMOP , but you will likely get others that say its best , none of are wrong just different opinions . The truth is no one can tell you will never loose a head gasket , at 600 hp or stock most trucks will need them done before 200k , some as early as 80k even at stock power .

smkndmax05

"Smoked Out"
Feb 17, 2011
Indiana

-T4 Non-Gated

Caleb

Why do you like the 366 over a modded variable?

smkndmax05

"Smoked Out"
Feb 17, 2011
Indiana
My drive pressure is nearly 1:1 on my new 72 and my old 68. I'm sure tuning has something to do with it but I was very happy with the 68 and love my 72. Everyone has a different opinion and that's why we ask question!!

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio

That is bad information and completley your opinion! How cany you say that a truck with big injectors modded cp3 and fuel rail fittings and all this other stuff he is talking about getting last longer than a truck without all that? Just because it has twin chargers? Your talking about the same bottem end here. My htt66 was running way out of its map to make the power it was and also had terrible egts with race tuning. It is all in the tuning so to say what you did IMO is stupid. The only thing that would make his motor last longer than any other lbz is cause having bigger injectors you can lower some of the fueling tables. But to say his motor will last longer is out there because you have no clue what my tuning looks like and how often if ever i run max effort tuning. What if i run the stock tune everday???

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky

That is bad information and completley your opinion! How cany you say that a truck with big injectors modded cp3 and fuel rail fittings and all this other stuff he is talking about getting last longer than a truck without all that? Just because it has twin chargers? Your talking about the same bottem end here. My htt66 was running way out of its map to make the power it was and also had terrible egts with race tuning. It is all in the tuning so to say what you did IMO is stupid. The only thing that would make his motor last longer than any other lbz is cause having bigger injectors you can lower some of the fueling tables. But to say his motor will last longer is out there because you have no clue what my tuning looks like and how often if ever i run max effort tuning. What if i run the stock tune everday???

I'll address this when I get from the show, I can't see sigs now for comparison. But yes it will be just my opinion

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk