Wish you never built your motor?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
wish I stayed at 750hp with Abby! the truck is a const ant money pit!

I cant sell it, with out losing big.....so I continue to sink money in her.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Im wishing I bought a VW TDI to DD and put a LS2 in the Colorado since it's a damn near plug and play application...

But that will change when the S475 lights for the first time with the built engine and I will forget all of it ;) :roflmao:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I rode in a Vw tdi with 20 over injectors and a ( cant remember) small oversized turbo. the car rocked!! untill the trans went out.

I read about all these people that want 1000hp dd and I just laugh! Anyone that has tried this can vouch that its ju st a money pit!

750hp on the street is a pure animal and will beat 95% of vehicles

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I don't know as much as I tinhk I do, but I hear exactly that on DF Simon. I just PM back saying ride in a 650rwhp truck on the street and you will understand. Havent got a PM back saying I was wrong, yet :D

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
750 on the street, you better have good tires with 4x4! 2x4 real good tires, and know how to drive!!!

My 2wd zf with REALLY good tires at 518rwhp is more than a handfull.... On the big tune the power comes in a lump at the top end so its either take off like grandpa or tear ass off the line burning rubber. 99% of the time I leave it one the 350 tune unless I'm on a long stretch of back road that I know and I'm in a hurry.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Back when I had 285 terra grapplers on pyo's mine got away from me more than once. All it took was a little sprinkler runoff on the street for it to switch ends. Now that I have 305 paradas its much more manageable, when it does break loose you can still hold it. I guess I'm the only one on here that runs paradas but imo they're head and shoulders above the proxes that most people seem to love so much.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I daily drive my race tune, for fun, really though it is so the trans is always ready, and with care, i can get as good as fuel economy in the race tune as any other. My truck is just under 600whp, and i wouldnt mind some more, injectors would wake up the turbo some and i have been told 650 should be easy, that all being said, i can surprise any would be competition, and pretty much beat anything that trys to give me a run as it is, also, i am not sure how much more "the srteet" can handle, power wise that is, traffic, cops and the lack of drivable (at breack neck acceleration and speed) roads being everywhere, i can see 700-750whp truck being a huge handful to dialy drive, 650 is an insane street truck, i have had fun in my truck every time the engine starts, and it is still very reliable. This is another reason i am considering with extreme seriousness buying a vette, over building my engine, there is also the trouble factor:D, more power more potential to get nailed, at least for.me, i dont have much "hey you shouldn't do that" built into my dna, im more of a "how much can i get away with" kinda guy, when it comes to driving and street racing, its not a good thing, and has not served me too well, now no vehicles are in my name and am under my wifes insurance, hehe, yeah I've had some tickets, and another 150-300whp ain't gonna help anything

I dont know if the op has a tuned up rig now, but i would take it to the brink on the stock internals and see how you like it, chances are you may be satisfied there, afterall, a vgt 72 some 40% injectors, a stroked pump, boost pipes and a few other tid bits and you got some beef boy, there is no denying a tuned dmax is a force to be reckoned with....

EDITEDITEDIT

i see from the op's sig he is pretty tuned up, so i guess it is gonna be your judgment call brother, i too am wanting more but am.not sure

Last edited:

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
yeah i wish i had stayed with my stock motor twin over stock turbo it was the best over all performing dd weekend toy, and show off toy. It would tow anything you through at her cook tires whenever you wanted, and then it had normal street manors when you drove normal. And i agree with ^ anything over 700wrhp is pointless on the road with 700 and a 10,000 pound trailer i could still break the tires loose really bad idea i know but a car tryed jumping me at the light and i had to shut them down.:thumb: if you wanna go fast get a ls motor and slap a turbo on it run until it blows and buy another dirt cheap and take alot of abuse. probably by 6 to 7 motor for the price of dmax rods alone.

whitelmmmax

Smaller than stock
Jul 26, 2011
lake charles, la
I didn't believe that when I first got my truck, I was one of the 1,000 hp wannabe's. but now I've learned that what Simon is saying is pretty much dead on. Not sure exactly what my truck is at power wise now, but it's plenty for the street. It's more than enough to get me in trouble. So I've kinda refocused on the more important things in life, and started spending my money elsewhere. I just hope I haven't gone too far, and end up popping a motor and having to build it. My truck stays on a very mild tune, so hopefully it will last. Hopefully.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I'm just glad I stayed at 600 rwhp instead of letting you guys influence me too much...:hug:

I am much happier with the new boat...:D

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I daily drive my race tune, for fun, really though it is so the trans is always ready, and with care, i can get as good as fuel economy in the race tune as any other. My truck is just under 600whp, and i wouldnt mind some more, injectors would wake up the turbo some and i have been told 650 should be easy, that all being said, i can surprise any would be competition, and pretty much beat anything that trys to give me a run as it is, also, i am not sure how much more "the srteet" can handle, power wise that is, traffic, cops and the lack of drivable (at breack neck acceleration and speed) roads being everywhere, i can see 700-750whp truck being a huge handful to dialy drive, 650 is an insane street truck, i have had fun in my truck every time the engine starts, and it is still very reliable. This is another reason i am considering with extreme seriousness buying a vette, over building my engine, there is also the trouble factor:D, more power more potential to get nailed, at least for.me, i dont have much "hey you shouldn't do that" built into my dna, im more of a "how much can i get away with" kinda guy, when it comes to driving and street racing, its not a good thing, and has not served me too well, now no vehicles are in my name and am under my wifes insurance, hehe, yeah I've had some tickets, and another 150-300whp ain't gonna help anything

I dont know if the op has a tuned up rig now, but i would take it to the brink on the stock internals and see how you like it, chances are you may be satisfied there, afterall, a vgt 72 some 40% injectors, a stroked pump, boost pipes and a few other tid bits and you got some beef boy, there is no denying a tuned dmax is a force to be reckoned with....

EDITEDITEDIT

i see from the op's sig he is pretty tuned up, so i guess it is gonna be your judgment call brother, i too am wanting more but am.not sure

He broke his crank...:mad:

That's why he is asking this question...

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Right now I am having minor regrets on building my motor. But it was also just done a couple weeks ago and I haven't had it tuned yet. I think once I get my charger worked on and a second pump I will feel a lot better about it.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
If my motor didn't crack a piston there's no way it would've been built. I don't really regret it, but looking back the money could've been better spent elsewhere. If I could do it all over again the truck would've had 475/vvt compounds, built trans, a lift pump and that's all. 600rwhp is a blast and you dont really need more unless its a competition vehicle.

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
I love seeing threads like this. Really helps to keep the mod bug in check..its definitely easy to lose control and just keep building. On the other hand I do feel for the guys who think they went too far, had that happen with my old car and sold it because it just wasn't fun like it used to be

boss760

Mar 8, 2010
Clarkrange, TN
I had motor with carillos and cut pistons. Made 750 fuel 950 nitrous rwhp. Drove it like that for 2 years 10k miles always on the same tune. The only thing I had to do was refresh tranny after almost two years. Then I started spending money and things went bad. I had a lot of fun while it lasted. :woott: :confused::spit:

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I had motor with carillos and cut pistons. Made 750 fuel 950 nitrous rwhp. Drove it like that for 2 years 10k miles always on the same tune. The only thing I had to do was refresh tranny after almost two years. Then I started spending money and things went bad. I had a lot of fun while it lasted. :woott: :confused::spit:

If/when mine goes that's what its getting except I will go with Manley rods. Plus keyed cam and crank obviously.