Who is running AF (alternate firing) order cams, and for how long?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I have been on here awhile... I was here when EDP was a vendor. You didn't here much from them a post or two here and there. They work mostly with the puller crowd and they are a secretive bunch:D. Nothing wrong with it, just very competitive & they don't want there secret squirrel sauce falling into the hands of the enemy.

As of late I noticed EDP would chime in and take shots at some of the other vendors on here and not offer much useful info. Lots of pot stirring. I don't know the whole story nor do do I give a crap... Maybe it was justified maybe not?

Socal has had the AF cam out for sometime... Don't know why it's not listed on the site? Several others offer it as well.

This BS is one of the reasons a lot of the OG guys & a lot of the vendors don't post anymore... If you call them up on the phone they will spend hours offering advice and help, all the while not expecting anything in return....

So lets drop the conspiracy Sh*t and discuss the merits of the AF cam. Although I think it's beating a dead horse. In my mind the cam Helps, may not prevent but definitely helps.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Is it possible that if u drop in a af cam and already have a "fatigued" crank from say 245,000 miles of not running a af cam. It could be to little to late and it still break? Would it be wise to get a new crank also?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Is it possible that if u drop in a af cam and already have a "fatigued" crank from say 245,000 miles of not running a af cam. It could be to little to late and it still break? Would it be wise to get a new crank also?

AFAIK there is not an option for the stock grind AF cam... so you would not be able to "drop in" an AF cam due to the absence of valve reliefs. If you tore your engine down i would have your stock crank magnafluxed though. That will let you know how your current crank is structurally.

2001-GMC-LB7

01GMCDMAX
Jul 27, 2010
NWNJ

:yup:^^^^^^ My thoughts Exactly!!!
Old or New, Crank Must (Should) be Checked Before swapping to a AF cam!
If it has already started to crack, how can you blame the cam???
Proper building techniques, checking ALL parts for cracks, fatigue and wear...
And building it correctly will produce a long lasting motor.

Just my :2cents:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
AFAIK there is not an option for the stock grind AF cam... so you would not be able to "drop in" an AF cam due to the absence of valve reliefs. If you tore your engine down i would have your stock crank magnafluxed though. That will let you know how your current crank is structurally.

Yes there is. Maybe not quite stock but it does not require reliefs so you should be able to drop it in.
It's the one I'm considering using.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Yes there is. Maybe not quite stock but it does not require reliefs so you should be able to drop it in.
It's the one I'm considering using.

I just ordered an AF cam that doesn't require valve reliefs.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well I contacted the one supplier of the AF that supposedly doesn't require reliefs as per his website and he emailed me back saying he doesn't sell one that doesn't need at least 40 thou relief. Confused. Need to get to the bottom of this.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Well I contacted the one supplier of the AF that supposedly doesn't require reliefs as per his website and he emailed me back saying he doesn't sell one that doesn't need at least 40 thou relief. Confused. Need to get to the bottom of this.

Looks like I may be getting ahold of them shortly.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
SoCal recently rebuilt my motor with a couple of changes. One going from a 6480 cam to a 6480 AF. The other changes, going from 70% over LBZ injectors to 80% LMM's and from a 4094avnt to a Danville 72.
So far I have 400 miles on the motor, same tunes. The power level so far has been maybe around 500~600 but should do 900 on the big tune.
The 2 things I have noticed are how smooth the motor is, I have MA motor mounts and I can't feel the engine run, very smooth.
The other one is the sound, it sounds different, deeper tone.

Off topic here. Bryan what are the benefits to running LMM injectors in the LBZ motor?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Off topic here. Bryan what are the benefits to running LMM injectors in the LBZ motor?

I can't remember which one it is, but one of them has one less hole than the other. IIRC, the LMM injectors have more holes in them and thus, they distribute the fuel more evenly and have the potential to flow more fuel?
something to that effect:confused:

I'm in for a more educated answer:eek:
bump/ttt :angel:

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Out of 90+ post, about 4 have been on topic in this thread :roflmao:.
The LBZ injectors have 7 holes, LMM's have 6. It's my understanding the LMM's are more responsive.

Yea, I know...

More responsive, hmm... :thumb:

Cocoa, you got it wrong bud. Its the other way like Bryan mentioned. LBZ=7, LMM=6. :D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Looks like I may be getting ahold of them shortly.

They emailed me back and said they no longer had any cams that did not require reliefs. But, do to a recent surge in request's for it they may make a bunch more. I wonder why that is.......

I really think they should though. I asked Guy last summer about a cam requiring no reliefs and he said he could make one but it was at least a 6 week lag time plus more money than a regular one. Considering he doesn't advertise an AF on his website I can see why he wouldn't have them in stock.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
They emailed me back and said they no longer had any cams that did not require reliefs. But, do to a recent surge in request's for it they may make a bunch more. I wonder why that is.......

I really think they should though. I asked Guy last summer about a cam requiring no reliefs and he said he could make one but it was at least a 6 week lag time plus more money than a regular one. Considering he doesn't advertise an AF on his website I can see why he wouldn't have them in stock.

Call COMP they will grind anything you want. I did a custom grind alterfire and it took 2 weeks. They also have "shelf grinds" in stock.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Empty promises! I ordered the cam solely based on the, "youll have it in two weeks comment " so I gave my cc info, cc got charged that same day (4/1/14). I gues it was a 1200.00 april fools joke. since I still have no cam, twice now have gotten the 2 more weeks comment , with the last one 5-9-14 ( filled with some uncertainty of when it will ever ship).

Last edited:

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010

He is making 3388 AF cams last i heard. dont need VR's with that cam.