Who is running AF (alternate firing) order cams, and for how long?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Exactly! To my knowledge, Moody is one of very few with a HP Duramax engine thats dead on constistant , reliable and making a ton of power in drag racing. He must be on to something.

He is on to something. It is in the internal parts.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Exactly! To my knowledge, Moody is one of very few with a HP Duramax engine thats dead on constistant , reliable and making a ton of power in drag racing. He must be on to something.

An engine used strictly for drag racing isn't the same as one driven every day, 20-40K miles/year.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Why would a guy who makes money on building engines tell you how to keep the engine together? Or for that matter why would he support a product that is going to fix a known issue with the Duramax engine that is going to make him lose business because far fewer if any cranks will be breaking?

Its simple business.

So, pics or it didn't happen :)

Because guys who take pride in what they build don't want to see them break.....they want them to last.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

As others mentioned It's a drag only engine.... Aluminum rods & Block on the street? In a diesel application? No F-ing way? Maybe the block will hold up but not the rods. Guy's argue about forged pistons in a street application but Id bet no one would argue trying too run aluminum rods on the street...

I want a mother f-er I can drive on the street daily and not worry about busting the crank. Tell Mr. Moody to build that engine with proven facts and then get back to us.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
I wouldent dismiss the idea on the street just yet...its a possibility.

While I dont know if Moody has built an aluminum diesel engine for the street or not, he has built many HP street engines.

There is a fellow by the name of Bill Miller, he owns one of the biggest AL rod and piston manufactures in the country. He says AL on the street has been done many times over and over 100k miles....No problems.

Here is a link. Scroll to bottom.

http://bmeltd.com/rods.htm

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca

While I dont know if Moody has built an aluminum diesel engine for the street or not, he has built many HP street engines.

There is a fellow by the name of Bill Miller, he owns one of the biggest AL rod and piston manufactures in the country. He says AL on the street has been done many times over and over 100k miles....No problems.

You try it first and let us know how it works.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

Not in a Diesel bud... I have no doubts it has been done in a gasser but name me any gasser that can street cruise all day everyday with 1000+ ft lbs. tq. and aluminum rods...

If he is so confident in them working. I have spare block and crank sitting here waiting for me to decide if I can spend the money on pistons or not. I will throw my R&R rods on the shelf & install some of Wades aluminum rods and those new fancy Wisecos in and beat the hell out of it at 850 plus. We will see what happens. Oh and have him send me a cam too. Sounds fair to me, after all I'm donating a good block, heads & crank that has 99% chance of getting a new window put in it.

I'm actually not joking:thumb:

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
LOL, You guys are too much. None of you cruise at 1000ftq.. thats just silly. Just because you make 1000tq dont mean you cruise there.

I do understand, not wanting to be the first one to try it. But i dont think (AL rods) are the complete answer. That was just a suggestion for the drag engines. Im positive there is more to it on the street.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
LOL, You guys are too much. None of you cruise at 1000ftq.. thats just silly. Just because you make 1000tq dont mean you cruise there.

I do understand, not wanting to be the first one to try it. But i dont think (AL rods) are the complete answer. That was just a suggestion for the drag engines. Im positive there is more to it on the street.

But it is on tap... Lot's guys go WFO on the street daily, they all live in Mexico of course:thumb:

Also, I bet you might be surprised how much tq your engine is making when your pulling a steep ass grade up some Mt. Goat pass... I do live in Alaska have you seen the pictures up here?

And if you feel that isn't the only key then post that. You like to take little shots at people and wait for the thread to blow up. Why not work with the masses and try and help? You seem like your a fairly knowledgeable guy.

My offer stands. If Wade wants, I will send him the block on my dime and he can install the stuff. He can even have the Ecm and put some super secret squirrel tune in there. I'll do my best to break it and give a non biassed assessment of the failure or no failure.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona

I cruise at my max torque range. ;)

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood

Actually most do cruise near peak torque RPM, engine may not need to make it all of the time but remember not everyone is just hauling air around either. Throw in a hill and its not hard to use 1000lb-ft

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Towing is out of the question for sure. My thoughts were geared towards the street/strip....mainly strip engines. Very little DD I think could work. But again the rods are only part of the potential "fix" IMO. Maybe that's why NGM sticks to race stuff? Simpler that way I bet.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah

It's not silly. The middle - daily driver - tune is 750/1350 and I know guys who run about the same or more. I'll get into it pretty good about once a day. And going up long mountain grades it'll be using 1000lbs tq. quite often and for more than just a few seconds. I'm real happy with steel rods that aren't gonna break or bend.

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Towing is out of the question for sure. My thoughts were geared towards the street/strip....mainly strip engines. Very little DD I think could work. But again the rods are only part of the potential "fix" IMO. Maybe that's why NGM sticks to race stuff? Simpler that way I bet.

I agree with this. I also absolutely believe the aluminum rods are what allows that engine to rev like that and is 100 times easier on the crank, do to the much lighter rotating mass.

But I need an engine that will pull, race, DD, Haul the kids to soccer whatever... I'm hoping the Alt. fire cam and as I believe fingers may have been eluding too Tuning may play a bigger role than we thought?

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
These cranks do break on stock tuning- stock trucks, or modified trucks with moderate tuning. It seems like it's at random. Until someone can show proof of a daily driven truck that's either mild or hopped up pretty good that breaks the crankshaft with a AF cam, I'll keep on believing that it does help. Otherwise we might as well all throw our engines away

Sent from a truck somewhere in the US

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012

How much experience do you have with tuned diesels?
:roflmao:

1000ft lbs "is" pretty much there at cruising speeds, all you need is about 1/2 throttle and 20psi of boost and you're there...in every gear. Consider that on a built engine, 20psi is nothing and most guys are running at least 32psi and the rest can and do run 40+psi and twinned trucks produce 50-60psi as a standard...1000ft lbs is pretty much "always" there

I'd bet I'm (or was,lol) using 1000ft lbs or more from every stoplight, every time I pass someone on the freeway, at every hill and whenever I tow
Torque is king with a diesel, 700ft lbs is entry level and "stockish"
Probably why I cracked a piston too :eek:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
How much experience do you have with tuned diesels?
:roflmao:

1000ft lbs "is" pretty much there at cruising speeds, all you need is about 1/2 throttle and 20psi of boost and you're there...in every gear. Consider that on a built engine, 20psi is nothing and most guys are running at least 32psi and the rest can and do run 40+psi and twinned trucks produce 50-60psi as a standard...1000ft lbs is pretty much "always" there

I'd bet I'm (or was,lol) using 1000ft lbs or more from every stoplight, every time I pass someone on the freeway, at every hill and whenever I tow
Torque is king with a diesel, 700ft lbs is entry level and "stockish"
Probably why I cracked a piston too :eek:

Half throttle at 20psi ain't cruising lol. Cruising is holding a speed, that would be accelerating hard

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I received my AF cam last week but not from EDP, Guy and Lorenzo took care of me and now its all in Waglers hands.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk