What did you do at work today?

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
That 10x30 steel tank weighs in at 9k. They’re getting another steel 10x35 next week that’s 11k. Those steel tanks have been setting around for quite awhile, and somebody bought them at a close out price. The company has since switched to all stainless tanks, a 12x35 comes in at 8.5k... they pull so much nicer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I got some scary news today from a customer....

Years ago when we started tracking packages through our system, I always thought it would be frightening if customers could look on a map and see where we were during the day....

Well, its coming. Customer told me that my employer is beta-testing this very thing right now. You input in your tracking info and a map pops up showing your address, and a little truck moving down the roads around the area, with an ETA and everything. Yikes.

Man, I for one DO NOT want people driving up to my truck demanding their deliveries....

Oh yeah, Christmas is coming..... Did I mention that?

Last edited:

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
That’s going to suck and slow things down. I’ve seen how things are back loaded to makerhe deliveries. The guy that is chasing you down for his package is in the bottom of the pile.

I got some scary news today from a customer....

Years ago when we started tracking packages through our system, I always thought it would be frightening if customers could look on a map and see where we were....

Well, its coming. Customer told me that my employer is beta-testing this very thing right now. Man, I for one DO NOT want people driving up to my truck demanding their deliveries....

Oh yeah, Christmas is coming..... Did I mention that?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Bac I know where you eat lunch;)

How much of that dam did you see get demolished?

I think everybody on my route knows where I park to eat lunch. :hehe: Sue from the Lyons DPW told me they added that extra parking spot under the tree for me when they paved the lot b/c I always park there. That was nice. :)

As for the dam, I wished they had used explosives. That would've been cool to see something get blown up. :cool:
The guy in the excavator with the air-hammer attachment was busy for about a week knocking it out. Loud as hell, too.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Nice work man!
Willing to do a trip to FL in a couple years?

I love Florida.. been there a few times on vacation, been to Cali and Washington as well and hate the west coast lol. I could probably load up the trailer and travel around the country for a while lol

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
So Tom, is this like real time updates on where your package is by following gps on your truck? Doesn't sound like a good idea allowing the public to be able to track ups trucks..

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So Tom, is this like real time updates on where your package is by following gps on your truck? Doesn't sound like a good idea allowing the public to be able to track ups trucks..
Yes, it is. It's one thing for management to follow us around...it's entirely a different animal if customers can. I guess they have to input a valid tracking number in order to access the mapping, so that'll help keep thieves away, but still......

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Wow. That's a bad idea. Easy enough to order a cheap package from Amazon to get a valid tracking number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
I can see it now, call centers getting blown up if a package sits somewhere for to long. SMH

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
What, do people really need to know exactly where and exactly when the frickin package is going to be on their front door step? Give me a break. They already have a system that tracks your "little snowflake package" and tells you that your package is out for delivery on the final day.
Sorry, rant over.:D

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I doubt USP tracking will be in real time. Just like flight tracking.

I would imagine there's a slight time delay, but its probably not much. The customer told me it was close to real time. He had watched his computer as the driver on Wednesday delivered to houses around his (while not stopping at his home with a pkg he was waiting for -- ugh). The little truck on the map followed the real one around.

Thieves already will follow drivers during Christmas, its a matter of us being aware of our surroundings and paying attention if we see a car more than once while we're delivering. A few years ago, two women in a blue Chevy Silverado made off with parcels from multiple homes in an area near me for almost a week before they were finally caught. Thieves will always find a way to thieve.....

What, do people really need to know exactly where and exactly when the frickin package is going to be on their front door step? Give me a break. They already have a system that tracks your "little snowflake package" and tells you that your package is out for delivery on the final day.

Yes, some people do. Thats the world we've made.

I just enjoy seeing the smiles from my customers at this time of year when I give them their boxes. :) It helps regenerate the enjoyment I get out of my job.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Man if you ever ran out of toilet paper and REALLY waiting on that delivery you would change you mind. I mean it's not like you can just get that stuff anywhere...lol jk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk