What did you do at work today?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
That's pretty good considering the loads you haul!

At the time all I replaced was both pinion bearings.. everything else looked good.. so re used them.... I put a mag hytech cover on was running 85/140 conventional oil... Started talking 200 miles into a 1500 mile trip at 36,000lbs.
Since the oil change in Walmart parking lot, only had 80/90 and put a bottle of Lucas hub oil in.. very little to no shavings on dipstick magnets

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Does Yukon recommend a break-in period for their gears? Are you running the gov-loc still?

Couldn't find any break-in period... It's break-in was hauling a 20k trailer to Denver last year.
Still have the gov lock.. definitely has slop on the spider gears.

True Trac is out of the question.. I shove the front enough as it is. ARB locker would be nice but it's same as the true Trac plus you need compressor and tank additional.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Do a break in drive with it Adam. It will work harden the gear and set the bearings in better.

So drive it under a light load for about 20-30min. Let the diff completely cool, then do that two more times and change the oil. 500 total miles would be best.

OR have the gears REM polished, they will be ready for hard work right off the bat.

There is a reason desert racers used 100k mile vw ring and pinions in bus boxes instead of brand new gears when they would refresh a box and then go racing way back when. Now REM Polishing is the way to go on new gears

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Do a break in drive with it Adam. It will work harden the gear and set the bearings in better.

So drive it under a light load for about 20-30min. Let the diff completely cool, then do that two more times and change the oil. 500 total miles would be best.

OR have the gears REM polished, they will be ready for hard work right off the bat.

There is a reason desert racers used 100k mile vw ring and pinions in bus boxes instead of brand new gears when they would refresh a box and then go racing way back when. Now REM Polishing is the way to go on new gears
Ha, Agco mfg finally figured that out on the challenger four wheel drive tractors after they had numerous rearends eat themselves. New the rearends are 50,000 apiece. Now the gears have a pretty much mirror finish.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Where do I get that type of polishing? That 500 mile break in is counter productive for me..

There is currently 100000 plus miles on these gears. they started talking ~1200 miles ago.. probably should've been changing oil at 50-75k vs 100k..
Idk if shavings where gear or bearings or both... I've got 1200 miles till home.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Where do I get that type of polishing? That 500 mile break in is counter productive for me..

There is currently 100000 plus miles on these gears. they started talking ~1200 miles ago.. probably should've been changing oil at 50-75k vs 100k..
Idk if shavings where gear or bearings or both... I've got 1200 miles till home.

I know but that's the cheap way to make them last the longest.

Lots of different place do it. Lots of transaxle guys out here in the SW do them for gears, r&p and CVs. AZ transaxle here or Weddle industries or RCV can do it.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Cool but I'm in Ohio.... And that's a 7-10 days of Down time.... Which is substantially more money then I what I paid for the gears....vs 2 days lost dh home be up and running by Monday...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I raced thru my day in order to make my daughter's powder-puff football game.

Still waiting on the shop to get a new drag-link for my brown truck. This replacement truck is ok, but shakes like hell above 45mph.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Cool but I'm in Ohio.... And that's a 7-10 days of Down time.... Which is substantially more money then I what I paid for the gears....vs 2 days lost dh home be up and running by Monday...

Do some searching around there. This is by no means a "new process".

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
When you put the carrier in the final time last time, did you have to use a hammer to beat it in or did it drop in with little effort?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
When you put the carrier in the final time last time, did you have to use a hammer to beat it in or did it drop in with little effort?

Dropped or more like rolled right in.. took a pry bar to see if there was any left to right movement..
Checked wear pattern dead center on pinion in/out but high on ring most likely due to excessive back lash.
Talked To Yukon Friday.. basically said if I didn't chip any teeth most likely didn't trash the set... But would not be quiet if I reset lash... Also to send them pictures of the ring and they be able to tell condition of it..

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Dropped or more like rolled right in.. took a pry bar to see if there was any left to right movement..

Checked wear pattern dead center on pinion in/out but high on ring most likely due to excessive back lash.

Talked To Yukon Friday.. basically said if I didn't chip any teeth most likely didn't trash the set... But would not be quiet if I reset lash... Also to send them pictures of the ring and they be able to tell condition of it..

How much preload went back onto the carrier bearings before final torque of the caps? .030 of wear for who knows how long can make the gear set wear wrong and create noise. I have a set of 5.13 gears that whine on coast and light drive but look perfect as well as the bearings/specs in place. Just takes a wear pattern a little off to make them whine.

You can try finding where the added bl came from, fix it and drive it again if the gears look good. May fix the noise after some miles