What did you do at work today?

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Ya the flange on the axle housing broke away and then the motor broke all the studs and decided to do it's own thing till the wires ripped off the motor. It's an electric drive Komatsu 930. 340ton truck.

I work in a coal mine in southern B.C.
Just a little one. Used to ru. Around to all the mines here in Wyoming when I did electric motor service. Arch black thunder and Peabody north antelope Rochelle both went to the 440 ton...motger of god they were big but Ursa major at black thunder (bucyrus erie 2570 walking super) still makes me think nothing is big. Biggest deadline In North america I beleive. That does suck to fix all that though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Take pics.

As huge of a pain in the ass as it will be, it's still cool what you're doing
Got lucky. Night shift got it done. So spent half the day in the front section of a letourneau L1850 instead.
Added a pic of one for those that don't know what it is. The little guy is a Cat 966H.
219d0536e5615a75bcaccd92e5c51546.jpg

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
Got lucky. Night shift got it done. So spent half the day in the front section of a letourneau L1850 instead.
Added a pic of one for those that don't know what it is. The little guy is a Cat 966H.

Where and who do you work for? Must be interesting to work on some of that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
He said a coal mine is southern B.C I will say that was probably the most fun job I had. It's like oversize Tonka trucks in a huge sandbox.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
LeTourneau is built down here. You know it's big when the heavy haul trailer can only haul the "frame".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Adam is close. We will use the towhaul to dump it right there and then probably huck a bunch of timbers on the deck of the towhaul trailer and push/pull it on with a couple D11's. It's gonna be a cock.

Just my opinion but I think it will end up on its side Dale. Maybe not, might catch the dove tail before it goes over...

I would have a hoe come dig it out, just my 2 cents.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Didn't know you could delete stuff like that.

All you can do is shut down the doser module. I’ve seen people have custom built piping done to remove the catalyst and such as well but I can’t contest to any knowledge of it being very reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Just my opinion but I think it will end up on its side Dale. Maybe not, might catch the dove tail before it goes over...

I would have a hoe come dig it out, just my 2 cents.
Nah we drive 650 000lb loaders on with one completely flat tire with no issues.

I guess they just unloaded this truck, pulled it ahead and backed it on to the towhaul trailer with the towhaul truck and drove it down no problem. It's a massive flatdeck with a very gradual climb on to its deck. It has to be so we can load our electric blasthole drills on that have no grip at all on their pads and weigh like 600 000 lbs. Maybe more.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Nah we drive 650 000lb loaders on with one completely flat tire with no issues.

I guess they just unloaded this truck, pulled it ahead and backed it on to the towhaul trailer with the towhaul truck and drove it down no problem. It's a massive flatdeck with a very gradual climb on to its deck. It has to be so we can load our electric blasthole drills on that have no grip at all on their pads and weigh like 600 000 lbs. Maybe more.

Nice, we had to fix them where they died most of the time, which sucked most of the time:rofl:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Nice, we had to fix them where they died most of the time, which sucked most of the time:rofl:
Depending what it is we do too. It didn't go to the shop, just down to our build yard. They will have to use our big forklift to do the drive motor once they swap or repair the axle box. The Komatsu dealer is doing the job.

They just replaced an engine in another truck up on one of the dumps a few weeks ago so stuff does get done in the pit. Lots of hydraulic pumps, steering cylinders, boom cylinders on hoes, track idlers and radiators get done in the pit. All depends if the shop has room and how far it is away from a pm service.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Depending what it is we do too. It didn't go to the shop, just down to our build yard. They will have to use our big forklift to do the drive motor once they swap or repair the axle box. The Komatsu dealer is doing the job.

They just replaced an engine in another truck up on one of the dumps a few weeks ago so stuff does get done in the pit. Lots of hydraulic pumps, steering cylinders, boom cylinders on hoes, track idlers and radiators get done in the pit. All depends if the shop has room and how far it is away from a pm service.

My worst was a few years ago. 994 with both rear trunions broke. Rear axle went through the torque converter and the trans. pump drive gear sawed into the axle trunion mount. Operator said he had an oil leak and tried to back out of the dig face and it just stopped moving... I got to it, huge oil slick under it and the loader frame was sitting on the axle, ripped the truion mount off the rear diff housing. I could look at the ring gear through the hole.

This happened in early January, spent the entire month on the top pit rim at -40 to -50f and the wind was blowing like a mofo.

Absolutely the most miserable month of my life lol

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
At work today -- cutting square nails off trim pieces so we can reuse the trim later -- found a section of newspaper from Sept 10, 1975. Day before my 12th b-day. :hehe: The LSJ was .20 -- its now 2.00
Then it was lifting mulitple pieces of ancient 1x6 T&G flooring up without destroying them, and installing two new lighting fixture boxes in the first floor ceiling -- Im taking a break.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My worst was a few years ago. 994 with both rear trunions broke. Rear axle went through the torque converter and the trans. pump drive gear sawed into the axle trunion mount. Operator said he had an oil leak and tried to back out of the dig face and it just stopped moving... I got to it, huge oil slick under it and the loader frame was sitting on the axle, ripped the truion mount off the rear diff housing. I could look at the ring gear through the hole.

This happened in early January, spent the entire month on the top pit rim at -40 to -50f and the wind was blowing like a mofo.

Absolutely the most miserable month of my life lol
That would be lame. Glad it doesn't get that cold here for that long. Even with working at 6000' -20F is rare for very long. The wind and snow though......

Only lame one I had last winter was both NRS coolers and both turbo's on a D11 on a spoil. On nightshift. It was cold and snowed right from start to end. Put a wrench down then guess where it was 10 min later under the snow.