Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
I haven't had the time to get into any training like I used to. I just make sure I lift heavy objects correctly so I don't F-up my back. Moving OTR brake drums, transport chains and brake chambers are good enough besides body weight routines for me. Strength training is great however I just do enough with all the muscle groups to maintain muscle health and reliable strength. Good times though! Make sure you eat enough and eat the right foods, my wife is one great cook. Moderate all foods, fats, proteins, carbs, cycle salad into for greens as well as other sources of brain and muscle building.

If you see someone lifting incorrectly or not getting the full benefit because they aren't fully extending or contracting, tell them because it will save them grief.

Workout idea exchanges will benefit too, share between one another frequently to grow knowledge and technique.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
What your saying is true about lifting heavy objects correctly. I'm a welder and lift pull and push heavy stuff daily, working out regularly makes my job easier. Sadly even if you lift the heavy objects correctly it still takes a toll on your body, I'm a living example of that. My lower back is not in terrible shape but years of abuse has left its mark. I strongly suggest anyone that has a job that requires heavy lifting be in shape. I believe if I wouldn't have let myself go a few years back I'd be better off now.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I'm a welder to its hard work when you built up to 84 foot extendable trailers there tends to be very heavy things that get welded on there. I actually do worse on a Saturday at the gym. My job really warms me up I think climbing all over jigs and lifting fenders cross members and just welding out of position. Working out by yourself sucks but also it doesn't slow you down. There's no well your missing today so I'll just skip or conflicting schedules. Me and my brother work at the same place and go to the same gym so it really works out for us.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Your Welcome Mate. I trained many over the years besides myself. This guy Lamar Gant was always my hero. Pulled 670+ off the floor at 132 lbs bw. Thing about him was he wasn't your conventional Deadlifter and push with the legs. He used the legs to get the bar moving then its all back work. They used to call him the "Coil Spring" watch the vid of him at Hawaii in 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klXVGdlLx-I

Wow, that guy is amazing! I think there is something to that style of Dead lifting. Richard Hawthorne pulls the same way, legs are straighter at the start and then he just pushes his hips through at the end. I tried it and felt really strong with it, until the next day... My lower back was sore for 2 weeks. I went back to my hybrid technique.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I freaking love deadlifts. I use a surge of power from my legs to get the weight 6" off the ground and keep the momentum going with my core.

Nothing makes you feel like more of a hardass than pulling 600+lbs off the ground.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I down bend down enough on dead lifts pretty much barely use my legs at all. Just bend em barely and pull it up with my core but I'm still at 405 so not bad I need to work on that. Getting parallel and using my legs for liftoff.

micky

Jun 9, 2013
Wow, that guy is amazing! I think there is something to that style of Dead lifting. Richard Hawthorne pulls the same way, legs are straighter at the start and then he just pushes his hips through at the end. I tried it and felt really strong with it, until the next day... My lower back was sore for 2 weeks. I went back to my hybrid technique.

It takes years of lifting to get a back into that shape, reason why men like Doyle Kennedy was like 48 yo when he pulled over 900 off the floor

http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/some-powerlifting-videos/

You could always go Sumo style. Ed Coan was one of the best Sumo DLifters in his day. I trained that way for a while but its pretty aggressive on your hips. Heres Ed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_LWQkn0HNU

I noticed a mistake in my post a couple of days ago. I converted my best Total at a Comp as 825kgs as 26?? lbs - its actually only 1818 lbs - not used to these lbs, we always work in kgs. Funny how we still do mph in the quarter mile though...............

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Must have some good genetics.. I know everybody loves to bench as much weight as they can because that's one of the staple alpha male lifts but what are your goals?

If you're tryin to get cut up now for summer try doing DB flat incline decline presses as well as flyes.. It will give you a more isolated workout for your chest as well as work your slow twitch muscle fibers stab izing the dumbbells through the movement..

I don't care how I look. All natural, eat like a horse and have a little more excess fat than I ever have but its ok as long as the strength keeps coming. I had been fighting a shoulder injury but hit 225x2 bench today with no pain. Goals are 315 bench/405 squat/500dl..for now. I should hit it within a year if I stay consistent.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I carry the grocery's in the house once a week sometimes they are heavy when she buys meat! My goal is to be busy when she gets home so she has to carry them in the house!

Just saying

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
545 triple squat, did a 550 dead (missed 575 twice), and used to bench 385. 220bw natty.

Slowly working back after a year or so off of heavy lifting.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I got 315 on squat 4 sets of eight need to move up. Scared to max on squat lol. Gonna try to match my max bench was 325 2 months ago then I messed up my shoulder. Got 315 2 weeks ago so might be back where I was hopfully

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Hey all you weightlifters generalleathercraft.com is having a fathers day sale. I use their powerlifting belt and wrist wraps and they are awesome. They are also a USA made family owned company and nice people. Sale goes through the week I think?

'03duramax

I love cheer******s
Sep 16, 2006
WA
It takes years of lifting to get a back into that shape, reason why men like Doyle Kennedy was like 48 yo when he pulled over 900 off the floor

http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/some-powerlifting-videos/

You could always go Sumo style. Ed Coan was one of the best Sumo DLifters in his day. I trained that way for a while but its pretty aggressive on your hips. Heres Ed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_LWQkn0HNU

I noticed a mistake in my post a couple of days ago. I converted my best Total at a Comp as 825kgs as 26?? lbs - its actually only 1818 lbs - not used to these lbs, we always work in kgs. Funny how we still do mph in the quarter mile though...............

"Only 1818" @ 181, haha. 1800 raw at ANY bodyweight is very impressive, let alone 181.