Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Thanks for the help. At 33 I'm finally concerned about my physical condition and it's hard to change.

I'm the strongest of my life at 40 and only plan to get leaner and meaner:D It's a lifestyle for me and my wife, it just took me some time to fully commit.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Albert, I drank miller light all day on our fishing trip, didn't wreck my six pack:roflmao:. Probably had to due with the fact I was sweating them out faster than I could drink them:D:angel:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Albert, I drank miller light all day on our fishing trip, didn't wreck my six pack:roflmao:. Probably had to due with the fact I was sweating them out faster than I could drink them:D:angel:

Well it was light beer... Miller Light=Diet beer:D I'm pretty sure you could eat or drink anything you wanted and still keep a 6 pack... I really F-ing hate you:hug:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Albert, or any of you, what's a typical day of eating/drinking consist of?

Mitch,
On work days:
At least 1 gallon of water a day
1 protein shake in the morning for the drive to work 50 grams of protein and 320 calories
2 first break 1 cup of greek yogurt or cottage cheese, banana, some chips or crackers
3 Lunch chicken and rice or a sandwich
4 last break Quest bar or cliff bar,
5 Gym energy aminos, C4 sometimes and a scoop of creatine,
6 after gym protein shake with 50 grams
7 Dinner salad or more chicken, veggies of some sort

If im wanting to loose a little weight I will skip dinner and just have the protein shake after the gym. I typically maintain weight on the above.

Days off I actually eat a little less and have to push myself to eat a little more. I haven't been tracking my macros very well. It's something I need to do to get myself down to sub 10% body fat. The rub here is when you loose weight typically you loose strength as well. I'm trying to find that fine line were I can attain both within reason.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Mitch,
On work days:
1 protein shake in the morning for the drive to work 50 grams of protein and 320 calories
2 first break 1 cup of greek yogurt or cottage cheese, banana, some chips or crackers

If im wanting to loose a little weight I will skip dinner and just have the protein shake after the gym. I typically maintain weight on the above.

Days off I actually eat a little less and have to push myself to eat a little more. I haven't been tracking my macros very well. It's something I need to do to get myself down to sub 10% body fat. The rub here is when you loose weight typically you loose strength as well. I'm trying to find that fine line were I can attain both within reason.
Guy at the gym got pretty strong but was heavy. He got on some plan with a trainer because he didn't want to loose his gains but wanted to lose weight. It was super high protein I think he got one thing every week to splurge like a cheeseburger or whatever he wanted. But it wasn't even a whole meal. He said he could cut out way faster but would loose strength also. I might try to drop 10 pounds but I'm not cutting til get these arms and calves in proportion

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Guy at the gym got pretty strong but was heavy. He got on some plan with a trainer because he didn't want to loose his gains but wanted to lose weight. It was super high protein I think he got one thing every week to splurge like a cheeseburger or whatever he wanted. But it wasn't even a whole meal. He said he could cut out way faster but would loose strength also. I might try to drop 10 pounds but I'm not cutting til get these arms and calves in proportion
I'm on a high protein diet now, at least my BW in grams of protein... I just need to make some small adjustments now. Trying to figure out when and where to do my High Calorie days to fall in line with my training. I'm getting better with the diet aspect of the training.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I just looked up a bunch of dead lift form stuff. I was way off. Using my lower back way to much. Haven't tried it yet. Bodybuilding.com has a form video that's what I watched

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Deadlift form check... I think I need to raise my chest more at the beginning and squat down lower as well. Thoughts?
https://youtu.be/P-rCHpnwQtM

It's pretty good Nick... If you try pinning your shoulder blades back and down that helps bring your chest up. Careful not to arch your back to hard, Neutral spine is what were after, yours is pretty good.

This is my setup
1. approach the bar, place bar just behind the center of my foot
2. feet just inside my shoulders
3. Pin shoulders back and down (makes the chest poke out)
4. Breath into your balls and brace the core tight (when you breath in to brace the core your chest shouldn't rise up. You want the air in your gut)
5. bend down and let the bar just touch the shins
6. grab the bar exactly as my arms hang straight down (grip is on the inside edge of the knurling for me. Also why my feet are somewhat narrow. I don't want my arms dragging on my thighs)
7. pull the slack out of the bar, keeping as neutral of a spine as you can (the heavy shit is going to make your back round)
8. now rip the bar off the floor like your reclaiming Mjölnir:D
9. Straighten the knees while starting to bring your hips through (knees straighten and lock first)
10. bring the hips through
11. finish in a neutral position again (no hyperextension off the low back)

Anyway that's my setup, some if it may work for you some not so much. It's a hybrid between Elliot Hulse's corrective dead lifting and Richard Hawthorne's techniques.

Once I hit 500 conventional all this goes out the window and I start pulling Sumo or Eating Butt as Dom Mazzeti puts it:rofl:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Leg destruction...
Squats
Warmup
Stretching
Barx10
135x10
185x8
225x5
275x3
315x1
350x1
375x10x1 (singles) no spotter and just didn't feel like I could hit a 3x3, still working my confidence with the heavier weights. Was really happy pulling off 10 singles...

1.5 squats semi High bar, narrow (oly) stance
275x2
275x3x1 singles, paused as long as I could before I didn't think I could get back up. Maybe 5-8 seconds each rep.

Leg ext. machine
145x4x10
Hamy curls machine
95x4x10

Calf raises machine
110x4x10 with alternating stance (wide, narrow, std, pigeon toe)
Hypers
BWx10
35x1x10
35x20

I limped out to the res. rocket and fought the clutch to the house:D (never knew a focus clutch could be so brutal)

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Mitch,
On work days:

How many calories do you eat a day? it doesnt read like you get all that many Albert :D