UPS Strikes Again

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I too was wondering how UPS handlers new that there was insurance on the package. I cannot see how they would to handle something different.

The exception is when I drop something off at Staples ,closes UPS store to me, the clerk ,only she has done it , is write HV meaning high value on the item packaging when I have her sign the paper stating the value.

I have had decent luck with UPS and it is in the packaging for the most part.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
People that have used tupperware, have you had any issues with the container being cracked if it's dropped on a corner or anything?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
We ship lots of product out via UPS from our shop every day. granted this is not big heavy stuff and the tubes are in boxes designed to hold them but rarely do we have an issue where the boxes are destroyed. each box weighs 7lbs and we tape 4 together to save shipping costs. they still dont break apart. Even if they do get "lost" or "break the product" we insure every package and we get reimburse after a stupid fight with UPS (only thing i dont like).

Like Tom says, most of time no one can pack worth a shit or use a box no where near designed for the weight.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
This is the box it arrived in.

dezamapa.jpg
ge7udy4e.jpg
yputa5y3.jpg

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
People that have used tupperware, have you had any issues with the container being cracked if it's dropped on a corner or anything?

Yes 7/10 cargo covers i shipped in rubbermaids were destroyed in transit, fedex and ups, but the cover survived and stayed dry so if i to spend $15 on a tote to basically throw it away im good as long as my priduct makes it in tact

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
That is my point. I missed where that was stated, but I believe that to be true.

Additionally, I wished to share that there was no indication or notification that they had reboxed it.

Post #8 says new box. If we're talking about the same shipment this thread was started on.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
thought it was established it had been "reboxed" via ups?

Post #8 says new box. If we're talking about the same shipment this thread was started on.

This thread also says both turbochargers have damage on the compressor housing; that is incorrect. The photos on page one are of the same unit.

Since the box and chargers are on my workbench, I'll be the finder of fact. :thumb:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
This thread also says both turbochargers have damage on the compressor housing; that is incorrect. The photos on page one are of the same unit.

Since the box and chargers are on my workbench, I'll be the finder of fact. :thumb:

And I'm sure you will good luck.

The rest and I can only assume with what is reported here. Looking back at the pictures ,yup those are of the same turbo.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
That's one of our boxes. Its called "rewrapping", where our clerks take contents from a destroyed pkg and rebox them.

EDIT (once I got home from work): The clerks use "generic" size boxes, too. Nothing custom. Minimal packing within.

----------------------------------------------------------

Why in the world you sent two turbos in the same box with only peanuts separating them, not within their own separate boxes within the outer box, and with no insurance, is just beyond me. I would have used good-fitting standard boxes for the turbos, foam around them, and a double-strength box for the outside...or sent the turbos in their own separate boxes. $1000 insurance for each.

The company pays 10s of millions in claims every year. Not all of that is our fault. Shippers need to realize that they themselves need to do a better job. You never know what will be on the belts in front of/behind your package. You dont know what will be loaded on top of your package in the trailers between hubs (ESPECIALLY heavy items), so you must overpack. Tape and foam is cheap compared to the pain of having a busted, broken item, and the hassle of dealing with the Claims Dept.

Last edited:

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Yes 7/10 cargo covers i shipped in rubbermaids were destroyed in transit, fedex and ups, but the cover survived and stayed dry so if i to spend $15 on a tote to basically throw it away im good as long as my priduct makes it in tact

Ya I've got no problem spending $15 to throw the container away, but with it cracking the product hasn't fallen out?

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Just had a turbo shipped to me... showed up today as I was ready this thread.... Box showed up with the vane position sensor poking out the side. Pretty sure the sensor is trash.

I have the guy an extra 50-60 bucks to ship it. He insured it though so I just need to make a claim for the new sensor.

Andrew

Costly Obsessions
Aug 7, 2013
delaware
Just had a turbo shipped to me... showed up today as I was ready this thread.... Box showed up with the vane position sensor poking out the side. Pretty sure the sensor is trash.

I have the guy an extra 50-60 bucks to ship it. He insured it though so I just need to make a claim for the new sensor.
I just texted you about this issue I put more then I Felt was enough inside as cushion. if you need me to make the claim I will happily to make this right

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007

Shipper has to make the claim, then they will deny it. Call back and assure them that it was package very well, see what happens. Best of luck to you.

badassdmaxx

May 15, 2012
Sounds like shipping is a general issue. If I have to ship again I will have to do what the guy said on the first page with the insulation foam. Seems like the best option. Still waiting for ups to make a decision whether to inspect or not. Who knows what will happen

Andrew

Costly Obsessions
Aug 7, 2013
delaware
I felt it could've passed thru the concrete steps test apparently not... I'm still waiting on Cornell to text me back to see what he wants to do . It would be nice if a little more care could be taken on there end. I will say this is the first time I've ever had an issue with ups:confused: