UPS Strikes Again

pullsanything

Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2013
Iowa
I could see maybe a scratch, but those look like they fell clear outta the damn truck and skidded down the road! WTF UPS! Wow....

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Thats what I was thinking. Do you use the low expansion foam? They make low and high. I've seen home owner use the high around their windows and then they don't open due to the pressure.

Next time do yourself a favor, get some spray foam from the store, the kind that is used for sealing cracks and crevices and some painters plastic.

Wrap your item in plastic, spray foam the bottom of the box, throw a little plastic on it and set your part in there.

Repeat for the sides and then the top.

Use HD Clear tape and you won't ever have an issue, also always insure the part for the value, plus the shipping and as a new part and not used.

I ship tons of stuff and always hope that it gets there, but when it does not I am covered and so is my customer.

Good Luck

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Next time do yourself a favor, get some spray foam from the store, the kind that is used for sealing cracks and crevices and some painters plastic.

Wrap your item in plastic, spray foam the bottom of the box, throw a little plastic on it and set your part in there.

Repeat for the sides and then the top.

Use HD Clear tape and you won't ever have an issue, also always insure the part for the value, plus the shipping and as a new part and not used.

I ship tons of stuff and always hope that it gets there, but when it does not I am covered and so is my customer.

Good Luck

Agreed. I pack the hell out of stuff when I ship it.

badassdmaxx

May 15, 2012
i mean i shook the box and them turbos did not move at all. the box was taped all over as well. but ya.. hope this is the last time i have to ship cause this is a pain in the a**

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
unfortunately this is more of a societal issue, people not having respect for other peoples hard earned stuff. I have shipped tons of stuff and I always pack it to sustain a nuclear blast. UPS, like most corporations only care about the almighty dollar. A few extra investigators could get rid of these disrespectful employees in a flash. We need more UPS men like TheBac...

2001-GMC-LB7

01GMCDMAX
Jul 27, 2010
NWNJ
When shipping big or heavy parts go to UPS Store or other shipping service store in your area. I have always done it that way and always bought the insurance that way any problems THEY are to blame and not you...

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
My s472 was shipped with zero padding or protection and insured for half the value i paid for it. The guy i bought it from didnt give 2 shits if it made it to me safe. Compressor and turbine inlets/outlets were Un covered as well. This turbo bounced around for days on a 1700 mile journey to my door and it didn't have a scratch on it. Usps even had to completely retape the entire box back together cause the one saide had completely split open and the turbo completely rolled out of the box. Don't know what UPS did to your 256's but holy hell!

20131213_134243_zpsfce62a42.jpg

20131213_144233_zpsd359609d.jpg

20131213_144319_zps2147a364.jpg

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Really doesn't matter if you do. They will deny the claim period.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Funny you say that. My piping kit was shipped seperate from my turbo. Turbo via usps, showed up beat up but on time, piping was ups and 2 weeks late and BEAT TO CRAP. After 2 week the lady at my shipping and receiving center told me I was literally screwed and to file my claim. As soon as I opened the claim, I kid you not...15 minutes later I got a call saying yea here's your package and to come pick it up whenever I wanted almost like I was the bad guy here. Didn't want to work with me one bit but as soon as I threaten them all the sudden my package shows right up. I was lied to right to my face by probably 15 different ups employees in the 2 week period.

Haven't used ups since and never will again.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Fedex and USPS. Those are the only two shippers I'll use. I practically live off of the internet so you could say I have some experience receiving packages. UPS has screwed me over so many times, I'm not saying the other two are perfect, but man UPS is terrible!

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I bought a turbo from a me member here few years ago. He did an awesome job packing it but it looked like a forklift ran through the side, destroying the entire box. They did put the original box and turbo in a new box, but it was half destroyed by time it got here too. Pretty pathetic really. They new they damaged the box, carelessly put all that in a new box and destroyed that one too. Same deal as yours though, he didn't have insurance on it, so he paid for a new compressor cover out of his pocket. He did get the $100 from ups

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
yeah i usually would have bought insurance but it seems like when you have insurance they mark the box (don't throw this one).. but i had them packed really tight with double layered cardboard and them foam buttons. they definitely couldn't move around. worst part is they packaged in a new box and delivered it without informing the guy that it had been damaged.

X2

This is the part that pisses me off the most. USPS, UPS and Fed-Ex all do it. Once insured they treat it like its wine glasses.

It seems like anymore you have to package your part. Go drop it down some concrete stairs. If it holds up to that then it has a good chance of making the trip unharmed. But it does seem like 80% of the packages I receive are not packaged properly.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
When shipping big or heavy parts go to UPS Store or other shipping service store in your area. I have always done it that way and always bought the insurance that way any problems THEY are to blame and not you...
I've tried this also and it did not work for me. I use to ship very often and when something got damaged I was always told it wasn't packaged properly and they wouldn't pay even though insurance was purchased. I started going to the ups store and paid them to package for me and got the same song and dance. They simply wont pay regardless. Kind of like extortion, you pay the mob to protect you against theselves. At least the mob let you live if you paid up.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I sold my previous turbo kit and shipped UPS. Took plenty of precautions packaging, insured it and they screwed up the package. Nothing was damaged but they would not let the purchaser pick it up. They said it was "a fallout" and had to send it back to me. The package had a small hole in the side and they put somebody else's parts in my package and sent it back. Denied the claim and wouldn't send it back on their coin. I sent it FEDEX for half the cost and a thousand more in insurance. UPS won't get any more of my money if I have anything to do with it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If someone out of state buys the 475 I'm selling, I'll be putting it in a rubber made tote, lots of car board and zip tied lid. Shipped a toyota doubler back east through ups and she made it just fine without issue .

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Surprised to hear all this. I usually use UPS because everyone else seems slower. I can't recall having an issue ever. Only thing I've ever complained about is how the person shipping it packed it. I always buy the insurance…it's pretty cheap.

badassdmaxx

May 15, 2012
I guess the best option would be to personally deliver the item to the buyer that way you know it hasn't been dropped from a ten story building lol. But I have bought insurance before and that seemed to be a waste of the extra $50. Wish I would have this time. Probably wouldn't have this issue. I could see it if the turbos were hit with a fork lift. Or fell off a pallet and hit concrete from 10' up. Worst part about dealing with the claims is having to talk to someone who can't speak English!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I bet you didn't.......I would file a claim with with UPS. But from the pictures posted, if worse came to worse, and depending on how damaged they are, you could still use them and your air filter will cover the damage or it could be fixed.

UPS will pay max $100 b/c shipper didnt buy the extra insurance. Filing a claim for any more $$ will probably be fruitless, but they can try.

#2 on not real smart to use peanuts for something heavy made of metal. I recently delivered a 51# box that had two 12" steel shafts held by styrofoam "frames", and the box was destroyed by the weight of the contents after they broke thru the styrofoam and started bouncing around in the box.

Tony gave the absolute best advice on how to properly pack a heavy item for shipping. I tell people "pack it like its going thru a war". Overkill is a good thing.
BTW, insured packages dont get "marked" until they are over $1000, and that is with an small extra barcode, otherwise there are no added markings.

I have gotten to the point where these posts just simply dont surprise me. I have become very embarrassed to even be associated with this company anymore, its gotten so bad. Retirement really can't come fast enough for me now.

Last edited:

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
sucks that you had problems, but unless im missing something you should be able to take a dremel or carbine bit and make that cover round again on the inside.