Twins with Twins, Anyone?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
It is a DMAX. Pretty sure this is the 3.0l ISUZU 4jj1 DMAX boat I seen posted on a different forum. I wished we could get these engines imported into the states, I'd love to put one in my JEEP. A 3.0l 4 cylinder capable of 700+HP would be fun.

Any kin to what's in the Colorado?!?!

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Any ken to what's in the Colorado?!?!

No. The Colorado got the VM motori engine similiar to what was in the diesel Jeep Liberty, the DMAX engine was an all ISUZU design. The engine got used here in the states for a SHORT run in small ISUZU box trucks, but not in enough numbers to find one you could afford.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
We were about ready to crank it up today but noticed a small coolant leak under thermostat housing when testing the electric circ pump. Seems someone forgot to true up the bottom of the adapter plate after welding it on.. What a dpuchbag.

Then once we took the intake off, found two cracked AN fittings leaking on the turbo cooling lines. Man if I find that guy I'm gonna give him a piece of my mind. .

dabde2b4803806b0728082f5f413db4d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Ok made it home at 1AM and got rested up. So here's the weeks updates.

Once we resolved the closed loop coolant leaks, decided to warm this engine up without the seawater pump connected. Our makeshift hosing on that side is still a bit drippy.

So we get it running around 5pm and I quickly noticed that the hub on my marine to dyno driveshaft adapter has a very slight wobble to it. Seems the weight of this yoke and fist size U-joints, or our last minute machining of an alignment ring, has shifted the press fit spline shaft ever so slightly. Not a huge deal as it could be chocked up in a lathe and trued again pretty quickly. But we also noticed when when ya put a pry bar under the yoke and lifted, the bearings in my hub had developed about 1/4" of movement.

So while neither issue is a huge concern unloaded, Mark and I contemplated possible issues at higher RPM and loads. When that 50lb U-Joint assembly X 4500 RPM equals a chit ton of force with a very slight wobble and good bit of side play. Conclusion, neither of us really wanted to bet our end of the hardware costs on the odds it doesn't fly apart.

After considering the options, easiest solution is I laser out a new engine mounting plate on Monday with one big hole in center. Then we can use his tried and true neutral ballance flywheel and adapter assembly, ditching the marine tranny damper setup for this part of the deal. After looking up some pics of other Superflow marine dyno setups, I noticed those only have a long straight splined driveshaft with carrier bearing at the engine side. No extra U-Joint on that end. Now I get why...

Got me again Acme engineering company.

3965d8c17d898533dfb306c45dcdbcb1.gif

Attachments

• 20180925_150228.jpg
    20180925_150228.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20180926_105427.jpg
    20180926_105427.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 78

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Wile E Coyote, Soooper Genius!

At least you didnt blow anything up like he usually did. :rofl:

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
There was once a time Josh that I didn't. So I just quit playing. But now I look at it as Adam from Mythbusters says, "failure is always an option..."

Once you understand that statement, plus a little bit of humility, makes life go a lot easier.

Like my laser guy who just told me to spend the extra $20 on a pizza and handed me his paint marker..

e2815a1cea03092c4a6a55fe14df7d42.jpg
619fc3b9f76e75d92cc07626f0ee3594.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm right there with you. I used to get really upset when things went wrong, but I realized that it doesn't help anything to let emotions rule you. I still struggle from time to time, but when things start to overwhelm me, I take a step back to catch my breath and realize that I have things pretty good. At least I'm fortunate enough to have the problems I have.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I'm right there with you. I used to get really upset when things went wrong, but I realized that it doesn't help anything to let emotions rule you. I still struggle from time to time, but when things start to overwhelm me, I take a step back to catch my breath and realize that I have things pretty good. At least I'm fortunate enough to have the problems I have.
A man told me when I was younger "show me someone who doesn't mess something up and I'll show you someone who doesn't do anything". I don't care who you are or what you do, you will mess things up or fail. All we can do is learn from it and move on. I tell our son that all the time, he's only 6. I tell him when I mess up a part at work and tell him it's my fault, I don't want him growing up thinking his old man doesn't make mistakes and thinking he has to be perfect, there is no such thing as perfect. I tell him all the time "don't be like me, be better than me".

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i still get frustrated of stuff that went wrong but most of the time its my own f-up. when im experimenting, that shit is fun, even when failing cause frankly, its most likely due to the fact no one else has tried it and its all on me. Keeps my mind occupied and always thing how to fix the issue. whats really funny is when things break you never would have expected to in comparison to other parts you expected would!

Keep at it Turbo, this is good stuff! :D