Twins with Twins, Anyone?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Snap-On bore scope just wouldn't squeeze thru the injector hole. So wasn't able to get a great look at piston coating after first runs. From what I could see, no funny stuff so far.

Anyone know what scopes will fit down that passage?

Attachments

• DIGI0023.JPG
    DIGI0023.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DIGI0024.JPG
    DIGI0024.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 71

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Snap-On bore scope just wouldn't squeeze thru the injector hole. So wasn't able to get a great look at piston coating after first runs. From what I could see, no funny stuff so far.

Anyone know what scopes will fit down that passage?
You need the smaller camera. The standard camera is 8mm, but you can get a 5mm. It fits through the injector hole.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Well put that thing in your suitcase and come over and hang out with us Sting. You can find me at the Baymont, this room...
086ddcfcd67baeef18f40c259435c869.jpg

PS bring me those little turbos off your Nova. Pretty please..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Baller!!!

I wish I could but its not in the cards. You don't want them turbo's they are missing some blades and are a little out of balance now. LOL

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
What were the egts on that run? Was sounding healthy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
That last video was holding at like 620hp and 1100F EGT. Everything was really happy and clean there, but turbos were only making 26psi running on single scroll.

Today we added some fuel and couple more deg trimming. Boost came up to 34psi, EGT to 1400F and power jumped to 680hp in that 32-3600rpm range. Drive pressure was in the 50's now, with compressors running at 440F. However we ran into issue with missfires around 3600 yesterday under load. Seems to be dyno / harmonics related, so we tried several thing including changing driveshaft today. Made things worse...

Was able to make some good long pulls today at 3200-3400, but moment we tried to push past that she just stared breaking up. Cylinder probe showed it's shutting off the fuel when that happens. I even put a scope on the crank/cam sensors to try a get a grasp on the issue. Shows pickups are taking errors.

So now we have dilemma, what to do next. Need to open up these turbos again and see how they act above the 4000R level with both scrolls flowing. Thinking they might push on up if we can lay the fuel to em. However, not if she missfires like today and bounces the dyno cart off the ground....

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Can you get a capture on an analog scope?

Does it happen any time above 3600 RPM, or just under load? If only under load, maybe the front of the crank is walking around and the sensor is getting out of range. Though that doesn't explain the cam signal going out too. That looks like EMI. Which is why I would be interested in those same 2 captures on an analog scope.

How is the engine block grounded? Can you attach the engine block to building ground? And check overall resistance between the ECU grounds and the block.

If you have more than 2 channels on the analog scope, maybe throw one across the block ground to sensor ground. Those should stay very close...

Are the crank and cam signals still twisted pairs with a drain wire/shield?

Just throwing out ideas, I've never seen this before myself.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Pretty much only does it once load applied above 3600. But ECM is tracking cyl misfires at idle now after changing driveshaft. So that's weird.

I was thinking a analog scope also. I'll check voltages on everything too. My little $35 digital setup won't give me voltages on those patterns.