Twins with Twins, Anyone?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I'm more ready than anyone to see em done..

The small cooling system related plates arrived yesterday from S&T. So some more tig welding, then run to powder coat guy again. Once that's done, engines gottta have more mandrel bent SS just to connect everything together.

Have flanges for all the ports now if anyone needs some.

2c6f4d0dbd985fccf8b9da0cacb9d23e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Every bolt started without honing a single hole. What's the ods of that?

When you are very good at your job, quality doesnt need adjustment...and everything about this build has been a very good, quality job. ;):thumb:

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Thanks. It's taken a bundle of paper and few printer ink cartridges to get all these custom pieces right. Sketch, print, cut, fit, repeat.

I was planning to fire em up this week with stock oil filters, then soon discovered those won't bolt up now cause of header clearance. So the oil cooler and remote filter has to be fitted first. Main coolant heat exchangers mock up work is where I'm at today.

f1bab14b339bbd7f62f4000f9d99602e.jpg
a47b3f1401c2d1ea3081eca8c42afddb.jpg
2a3eb8ecd95e7753c56660f8b99792fd.jpg

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
How long did you spend polishing those headers :eek:

Those came fully polished, but I've spent an hour or two buffing my own fingerprints off them... :roflmao:

I discovered a great little shop here in Ohio that took the up pipes from raw welded SS to what you see above. Has a slick multi wheel setup, one for each stage of the process. Kinda reluctant to post info, cause don't want him getting to busy.. lol. But he's really good and does mostly top shelf classic car restoration pieces. You can find him on FB under Grafton Metal Finishing :)

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Both are ready to fire up soon as I finish installing wiring harnesses.
Everything been on hold a couple months awaiting the owner to straighten out paperwork on the boat. Soon as that's done it should get back on track.

jmdorris

Teacherman
Sep 18, 2016
Southern Illinois
I read a write-up on Gayle Banks as he designed the military off-shore Duramax and Cummins engines. He had to swap to compacted graphite iron block in order to hold on past 800 hours. The factory blocks kept letting loose around 300-400 hours. He went to Cummins and got a custom casting. Mind you, that was the Navy's survival test. They were ran for over 30 days without a break. Like, started them up, put them up to 80% throttle or so, and left for a month....crazy.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Finally got the boat paperwork straightened out, back on firing them up this month.

Speaking of Cummins, I helped a friend wire up a certain pair of custom 1000hp 6.7L engines in a boat couple weeks back. Day later he took them out for a test run. Spun em 32-3800r for a couple minutes, and one melted down. Lucky for us, he had a Gopro mounted up on the run...

Trailer Testing: https://youtu.be/mtUpV51hPho

Water Testing: https://youtu.be/8zegGFszRL0

Making big HP small displacement diesels live at high RPM for extended periods isn't for beginners. Gale knows that ya just gotta crank em up and walk away. Then ya come back later and sort through the pieces to see what failed. Improve and Repeat.

Last edited:

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Jeremy hasn't dropped the hammer and went to lunch yet..

I know that boat well, who you think gave them the idea? LOL. She's still long way from being wet. That owner expects 1200 all day long. While I know those engines made well over that for about 5 seconds, I'll be impressed when I see them do 5hrs straight.

To date my old LLY still holds the Dmax boat record with 300+ hrs at 675+hp and still together. Believe it or not, even that power level is much much harder than it sounds.

:)

If that is the case, which I truly believe; what is your plan for making over 1000 HP live for 1000 hours?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Don't run the piss out of em straight outa the box. :spit:

Baby steps.. Run em up around 750 or so on dyno for few minutes then inspect everything including piston coatings. If good, bump up to 9-ish and do it again.

We know stock pistons with cut lips will hold 800+, cause Banks put one there and walked away long time ago. So I'm betting Fingers design runs happily in the 9's. That TBC adhesion is my biggest unknown.

Unlike Tyson's build, this boat doesn't need to make 1200hp all day long. Probably spend most of it's life in the sub 700hp range. So that 1000 hr rebuild clock is based on key-on time. How long will they run at 1000hp, your guess good as mine.

Mercury racing sets their mandatory Refresh schedule on the QC4v 1100hp at 200hrs. At 1500hp that drops to 20hrs on the meter. These are also DSP switchable power levels.
http://www.mercuryracing.com/refresh/