Truck painting project

Spoolindiesel

Jul 1, 2013
Yep takes Practice keep at it try looking on YouTube for hints and Application Techniques
Wish you were close to me Would love to come and show you a few things in my shop

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I can't even tell you how many youtube videos I've watched, lol. Hours.

5 coats of base and 5 coats of clear, all done. Looks pretty good. I have a handful of pinpoint size fisheyes to fill still, but I'm happy with how it came out.

IMG_20131020_201119_003_zpse15087c3.jpg

IMG_20131020_201143_652_zpsdda76c8e.jpg

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'm giving you all the beers/cokes you can drink if we ever meet! My hats off to you sir for tackling this project in spite of having never painted before! Well done dude!

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks :roflmao: I've had lots of help along the way, couldn't have done it without the help of the people on these forums!

There's still some work to do, have to fill fish eyes, cut and buff....but I'm thinking with the results I got the second time around I'll have a nice mirror finish when it's done :)

My plan now is to do the front of the bed, rear of cab, and passenger side cab corner next so I can put the truck back together, then finish the rest in pieces as I have time.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Nicely done sir,Job well done!with some clear left over dab a small amount in the fish eyes and wet sand and buff ,will fill them and you wont be able to tell they were there.

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Nice job, one area for anyone to not worry about is the edges or curves of the panels just worry about the large plane area.

What PSI was your gun set at before you turned it up and what was it when you turned it up?

Base/Clears I think are better teaching systems for those beginning, not just because it shows you steps but it allows you to 'adhere' your attention to detail. Once you get the fan set and distance from the panel correct then you can learn to understand what Dirtydmax mentioned, follow what the paint is doing not rely on the tech sheet as a whole, remember you DO NOT have the perfect paint booth environment when doing garage jobs. Just wet the floor and be patient!

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Well guys, I'm throwing in the towel on this project. It's taking too much of my time that I should be spending with my wife and baby girl, and it's all that's on my mind, keeps me from sleeping, stresses me out, etc. I'm waiting on a couple of quotes to come back from local body shops, just going to bite the bullet and find someone to finish it for me.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I sure as heck applaud you for trying, but family does come first.
The kids are only little once, and they grow up way too fast. I wish my daughter was 5 again. Take LOTS of pictures.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yep we are only at 3 weeks and she's already grown a ton, it's crazy! This week has been so much less stressful on both my wife and I since I haven't been down in the garage every evening. Totally worth it to pay someone to finish it for me...with only 3-4 hours a night that I can spend with my family anyway, I don't want to give any of it up :)

Found a shop in Denver that's going to finish it for me. They quoted another 50 hours of labor on it, so probably triple that is what it would have taken me to finish it, yikes! I'll be taking it down in pieces, cab first. Going to add a cowl hood while we're at it.

Spoolindiesel

Jul 1, 2013
I think you did just fine and you Learned a ton about body and paint along the way you never know how much work actually goes into it till you try
Start a build thread and post the pictures

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Man I think you are doing really good. Black is a really hard color to get right and if it ain't perfect its obvious. I have done a little bit of body work, but I'm not brave enough to try painting anything myself. Been thinking about it though now that my truck isn't my DD. Its white though and I sure and hell ain't painting it black.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Real SS??? I got kicked out of the gm track area at the Texas state fair in one if those things. Power sliding I guess was not their idea of a test drive? Buddy that was with me got kicked out the same time in a monte SS. Good times good times

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Really? I would think the power wheels would trick them and they would figure that someone already responded.

Public service announcement.. Making fun if police is never funny, all police are smart and highly trained to perform there job.

The more you know...