Transmission cooler line questions

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I got them put on my truck last wed. I have a total of 26 miles on them because I drove my truck home into the garage and checked them out. They look like they mught just fix the issue of leaky lines. But while in the garage I decided it was time for the transynd and new filters, so I jacked the entire truck up and set it down on stands. After changing filters and fluid I decided to pull the wheels off and polish them. Cleaning polished aluminum after a salty winter is a huge pita....

So how are these new lines holding up? I was under the truck the other day and noticed I have 2 leaky hoses again.

The local hose shop can use a compression union to clamp on to the pipe and replace the hose with hyd hose, but the I.D. of the compression fittings drops down to 3/8" and the tube is 1/2". I have heard that this restriction can cause problems. Any thoughts on this Mike?

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I had these new GM lines put on my truck about a month ago, the elevated idle has been coming on every morning now. Lows are about -10C at night right now. So far no leaks. I am also using Amsoil low viscosity ATF. It's DEX VI compatible, and has a -60F pour point.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I used custom lines on Abby this year.

The Stock line ends are still used they just crimp a fitting on, I like how easy they are to install because you can undo the crimp fittings on install.

I never noticed any differences from temps either

Philtopgun

Nice n Easy
May 5, 2007
Edmond,OK-still a Texan
Could someone point me in the direction to look for the leak or anyone have a picture to post up? I got underneath the truck, but didnt see any buildup on any of the lines running along side the frame...

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Could someone point me in the direction to look for the leak or anyone have a picture to post up? I got underneath the truck, but didnt see any buildup on any of the lines running along side the frame...

look at the front close to the rad on the pass side.....Where ever you see a stock GM crimp from pipe to hose and also down by the trans close to where the motor mounts are.

does you truck leak oil?

Philtopgun

Nice n Easy
May 5, 2007
Edmond,OK-still a Texan
look at the front close to the rad on the pass side.....Where ever you see a stock GM crimp from pipe to hose and also down by the trans close to where the motor mounts are.

does you truck leak oil?

no truck doesn't leak oil. The bottom of the bell housing on the tranny does stay wet though. Bout once or every two three months, I'll find a drop on the garage floor from it.

Thanks, I'll get under the truck and look at the areas you said. I just wantEd to be preventive, than trying to play catchup.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I used custom lines on Abby this year.

The Stock line ends are still used they just crimp a fitting on, I like how easy they are to install because you can undo the crimp fittings on install.

I never noticed any differences from temps either

The same ends as the ones that we replaced on Charlie's truck?

steakman

Diesel Nut...
Aug 31, 2009
Barrie, Ontario
I would love to see a picture of these "new" lines. If they are using the same style of Aluminum crimp..my money is on the fact that at some point in colder weather, they will in fact leak. Only permanent fix is: old crimps/hose cut off, hydraulic fittings with male nuts soldered on to the lines and either proper hose or SS braided with crimped/AN fittings.
I previously had 3 sets of hoses replaced..all of them leaked and that was after getting so called "new-re-engineered" hoses from GM. Seemed to me all they ever did was change the PN and called it new.

these are mine: No leaks and i never expect to see any...ever.

2522203610047245006S500x500Q85.jpg

Rgds,

stk

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I would love to see a picture of these "new" lines. If they are using the same style of Aluminum crimp..my money is on the fact that at some point in colder weather, they will in fact leak. Only permanent fix is: old crimps/hose cut off, hydraulic fittings with male nuts soldered on to the lines and either proper hose or SS braided with crimped/AN fittings.
I previously had 3 sets of hoses replaced..all of them leaked and that was after getting so called "new-re-engineered" hoses from GM. Seemed to me all they ever did was change the PN and called it new.

these are mine: No leaks and i never expect to see any...ever.

2522203610047245006S500x500Q85.jpg

Rgds,

stk

I think I'm going to try going this route as well. Looks much more gooder except I'm going to replace more of the tube with hose.

Huntinducks82

Apr 21, 2008
Centerville MD
Anyone had any problems with the new lines from GM. My line is leakin. Tryin to figure out which way to go. Wheather to get the dealer to do it or get my own lines made up. Will it be okay to replace them with regular hydrolic hose.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Had the lines put on when I returned home about 2 months ago and YES they leak again. I saved my old lines and I see NO difference in the new lines, I loose about a pint or so of tranny fluid each oil change

Last edited:

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
the gm lines havent changed. new part nums is all. sadly truck owners are going to have to fork over the coin and bu a set of real lines so this doesnt happen again.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
the gm lines havent changed. new part nums is all. sadly truck owners are going to have to fork over the coin and bu a set of real lines so this doesnt happen again.

:gay:

I would have thought that after 4 years of people complaining about this issue they would have figured it out by now!

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
:gay:

I would have thought that after 4 years of people complaining about this issue they would have figured it out by now!

no different than the lb7 injectors. we are now seeing the same influx as we did 3-4 yrs ago. the replacements are coming to fruition now. they are seeing the same fate as the last set. this time though its on the customers dime. i guess the one time replacement was cheaper than the r&d to fix the issue.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
They did the R&D. It's first version is called the LLY!!:happy2: And it was then perfected in the LBZ!:thumb::coolspot:

tech141

USAF Retired
Feb 24, 2010
Belleville, IL
Dang It!!! I've had my '06 CCSB for a whole three weeks and I noticed the trans fluid leak last night....
I went to the local Chevy Shop and talked with the Service Manager. He confirmed that the lines are Crap, and Chevy has had problems with them for years. He also confirmed that the "replacement" lines aren't any/much better. They will leak, just like the current ones, in a few years. Replacement (parts OR Labor) isn't covered under warranty and costs approx $400.00.
At least the Service Manager was honest about the whole thing (if only because I had done the research and knew what I was talking about.....)

I just called my local NAPA Parts store. They have the capability to repair the lines, at least they DO repair hydraulic lines like these. This is excellent news to me, as I just couldn't find any "Local Hydraulic shops" in my area. Will let youse guys know what the results are and cost, and post pics of the repaired lines. Going to be Saturday most likely so hold on a few days.

Plus - Taking the engine compartment apart to access the lines will give me the opportunity to go ahead and install some of the "Awaiting Install" parts in my signature. Awesome.